Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by billyj View Post
    Can we change the thread topic to USA U-18 championship?

btw, does anyone know if any of the games will be televised?
    Thanks
    Maybe we should merge with this thread. I couldn't remember the name of the original thread, but I just found it:

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/...highlight=fiba

age cutoff

What is the age cutoff for this team? Are Irving and Hairston still under 18, or was that cutoff earlier in the year?

July 1

How will this affect Kyrie and Josh arriving on campus for summer school and off-season training? If the team makes the championship they will be playing on June 30th for the title. They will be playing some amazing competition and I am sure they will show up in great physical and competitive shape but I was wondering if some plans may change as far as their arrival date. I am looking forward to seeing them (pictures) put on those practice blue and whites for the first time.

Congrats to Irving and Josh and sorry to Michael for the cut, not sure his exact age but will he be able to try out next year?

Which US team was McAdoo involved with? I thought he was to be playing US basktball this summer.

Congrats to Josh and Kyle. Could this be an indication that we may be getting more in Josh than many of us expected?

I like Kyrie and Josh getting to share the experience with Austin, Quincy and Amir. There is something about wearing the Red, White and Blue with USA on your chest. If only we had someone on the coaching staff that could identify with the experience of representing your country.

Damn! Coach K's USA Olympic coaching obligation has really screwed with Duke's recruiting.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Which US team was McAdoo involved with? I thought he was to be playing US basktball this summer.
    The U-17 squad.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    What is the age cutoff for this team? Are Irving and Hairston still under 18, or was that cutoff earlier in the year?
    Born on or after January 1, 1992.

I've got a few ties that old.

McAdoo played on the U16 National Team last summer:

http://www.usabasketball.com/men_team.php?page=mu16fac
    Bob Green

Which US team was McAdoo involved with? I thought he was to be playing US basktball this summer. ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    The 2010 USA Developmental National Team training camp will get underway on Friday, June 18, 5-7 p.m. ... at the University of Texas at San Antonio Recreation Center. The team will then train twice a day, 9:30-11:30 a.m. and 5:00-7:00 p.m., June 19 through June 24. ...

The 2010 FIBA U17 World Championship for Men is being held July 2-11 in Hamburg, Germany.
    Doesn't give James much time to pick up his GED

I wonder what Capel's thoughts reasoning are on MB not making the team?

Quote Originally Posted by Devilsfan View Post
    I wonder what Capel's thoughts reasoning are on MB not making the team?
    Who's MB? You mean Michael Gbinije? His reasoning probably was he didn't think he was one of the best 12 players at the tryouts. You have to remember Gbinije is a year younger than most of the other players (not necessarily QMiller or ARivers, but I think most).

http://www.usabasketball.com/news.ph...e=10_mu18_team

A little more detail and some quotes from the coaches.

And some quotes from the players: http://www.usabasketball.com/news.ph...18_team_quotes

Quote Originally Posted by airowe View Post
    http://www.usabasketball.com/news.ph...e=10_mu18_team

A little more detail and some quotes from the coaches.
    Good article and I love the quote from KI after being asked what he wanted to focus on:

"Just being a leader, first and foremost. That’s going to be my primary role next year is to be a leader on that team along with Nolan Smith and Kyle Singler, so just being a leader and being a point guard that the coaches need."

Also a great quote and great attitude from Austin after being asked what he brings to the team:

"I would say I bring leadership as someone you can count on in a game. Whatever you need me to do, I can do it. If you need me to score, I can score. If you need me to try to get someone the ball, I can get someone the ball. I’d say a little bit of everything. Whatever you need me to do, I’ll do it."

Nice quote from Josh Hairston:

Big men usually in camps, tryouts and stuff like this really don’t touch the ball that much so we have to do the little things, we got to play defense, we have to rebound, we have to run the floor, we have to talk. I felt like we did all those things and the coaches saw that and I’m proud I made the team.
    I know some people on the boards who have seen him play doubt he can fill that role for Duke (defense and rebounding) but if that's what he focused on at the camp and he made the team, I'd say maybe he can do it here, too.

It appears that even though he isn't listed on the committee, Brad Stevens is in San Antonio helping pick the U-18 USA team.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baske...09175046_x.htm

A little more about it here as well, about halfway down the page.

http://cbs11tv.com/wireapsportstx/Yu...2.1754036.html

You mean

Quote Originally Posted by Big Pappa View Post
    It appears that even though he isn't listed on the committee, Brad Stevens is in San Antonio helping pick the U-18 USA team.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baske...09175046_x.htm
    Stephens is spying on our incoming freshmen!

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Stephens is spying on our incoming freshmen!
    Ole' Roy is down there as well...

Ole' Roy is down there as well...
    Tell that old hound dog to quit sniffing around our guy Austin Rivers.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Nice quote from Josh Hairston:

I know some people on the boards who have seen him play doubt he can fill that role for Duke (defense and rebounding) but if that's what he focused on at the camp and he made the team, I'd say maybe he can do it here, too.
    Agreed.

This quote also stuck out to me from Josh:

Was there anything you were trying to focus on to make the team or show yourself?

Just all the little things. I wanted to show the coaches I could rebound, that I could talk on defense, that I could run the floor and that I could be a leader. One of the things my dad told me before I came out here was to just go out there and work my hardest and that’s what I did.