Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Duke vs. Kentucky - Carolina BBQ Emergency!

Please let me know if this is the right board for this, or perhaps I should move to main board.

The Problem: I am flying into RDU for my cousins wedding. I have not been to Durham in over 8 years, and I have not had Carolina BBQ since I graduated 1.5 decades ago. I was craving Bullock's BBQ SO BAD, and even got my wife excited about it. HOWEVER, I just figured out given the timing of our flights and the wedding obligations, coupled with Bullock's hours of operation, we will NOT be able to GO! Qu'ell Horreur Y'all!

My Question: Can someone recommend an alternative BBQ place that may be close to the airport (where the hotel and wedding stuff is going on)? It doesn't have to be the 'best' place, just a decent place that's easy to find that's not too far from the airport, and would have vinegar-based pulled pork que?

I'm going to look back through all the bbq threads to see what I can find, but if someone has a quick suggestion, let me know!

Neuro, aka Disappointed in NYC.

P.s. The apostrophe in 'quelle' was intentional.

Smithfield's Bar-B-Q

Not the same as Bullocks, but there's a Smithfield's Chicken n' Bar-b-q on Davis drive in Morrisville which is just a hop, skip and jump from the airport. Definitely Eastern NC bar-b-q! Here's the website: http://scnbnc.com/.

Bullock's offers catering services. Have them deliver the food to your hotel or wherever you're staying.
    Good luck!

Backyard BBQ Pit is your best bet. The Q is great, but the veggies and desserts are amazing....all "old school" homemade. Mac & cheese to die for.

http://www.sweetribs.com/backyard-bb...-nc-story.html

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    Barbeque is ALWAYS on-topic. I'll move this thread over to the King Board.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

I think the Q-Shack is very underrated. It's got more of a "chainey" feel than a homestyle restaurant like Bullocks or Smithfield, but it is deliiiiicious!

http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Writ...=216&RefID=216

How about Allen & Son?

It's pretty close off I-40, exit 266 I believe, so it's probably within 20 minutes of the airport, if that works for you. Really good stuff; prices are a bit more expensive than most barbeque joints, but I guess you're not counting nickels on this trip.
    Last edited by roywhite; 05-28-2010 at 08:46 PM.

The Pit in Raleigh is going to be your best bet, since it's more cosmopolitan than local dives. Late hours, good bar. Kind of chintzy on the hush puppies but otherwise, pretty good. Beans are metz-a-metz, fried okra very nice.

I'm in the Que Shack contingent, too, the sides alone and the smoked turkey are absolutely 1st class. But, you haven't the time to lollygag all that way from RDU.

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    But, you haven't the time to lollygag all that way from RDU.
    We all know that Durham is THE place to lollygag!

Quote Originally Posted by JBDuke View Post
    Barbeque is ALWAYS on-topic. I'll move this thread over to the King Board.
    The DBR is so awesome.

The only thing missing is a thread on Britt's donuts.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Writ...=216&RefID=216

How about Allen & Son?

It's pretty close off I-40, exit 266 I believe, so it's probably within 20 minutes of the airport, if that works for you. Really good stuff; prices are a bit more expensive than most barbeque joints, but I guess you're not counting nickels on this trip.
    D'oh, completely forgot about Allen & Son's. Can't beat 'em... might want to check the hours though, I believe they're closed on Mondays and whatnot.

may want to call allen and son. i tried to go a few days ago and it was closed...with a little sign in the window that said that they were on vacation.

if not and you can make it to raleigh, the pit would be great (starting to become a raleigh landmark).

smithfield's should do the trick as well. all very good choices.

Thanks everyone!

Leaving in a hour, have taken names and addresses and numbers of all suggestions. One way or another we're going to get BBQ on this trip!

Bullock's will have to wait for another time. At Bullock's my freshman year I had 1) sweet tea 2) Brunswick stew 3) hushpupies 4) pulled pork...each one for the VERY FIRST TIME. Now that was taste-newness overload, and I've been addicted ever since!

Thanks again!

Don't waste your time or valuable stomach capacity at Smithfields.

Same for the Pit in Raleigh. Food is mediocre at best. And there's absolutely no reason to go to an "upscale" barbecue restaurant. Who ever heard of a barbecue restaurant anyway!

if pushed for time I seem to remember a bbq joint located inside RDU

Quote Originally Posted by cbfx3 View Post
    if pushed for time I seem to remember a bbq joint located inside RDU
    Try this link for information about restaurants in RDU. http://www.rdu.com/shoprest/dining.htm

[QUOTE=Dr. Rosenrosen;411860]Don't waste your time or valuable stomach capacity at Smithfields.

Same for the Pit in Raleigh. Food is mediocre at best. And there's absolutely no reason to go to an "upscale" barbecue restaurant. Who ever heard of a barbecue restaurant anyway! [/QUOTE

Ed Mitchell at The Pit can't cook BBQ?! Smithfield's is no good? Does a place have to hang a No-Pest Strip and have ketchup on the walls to be considered good?

If we ever did a blind taste-test, I'm betting plenty of DBR 'experts' would be embarrassed by the results.

[QUOTE=killerleft;411893]
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post

Same for the Pit in Raleigh. Food is mediocre at best. And there's absolutely no reason to go to an "upscale" barbecue restaurant. Who ever heard of a barbecue restaurant anyway! [/QUOTE

Ed Mitchell at The Pit can't cook BBQ?! Smithfield's is no good? Does a place have to hang a No-Pest Strip and have ketchup on the walls to be considered good?

If we ever did a blind taste-test, I'm betting plenty of DBR 'experts' would be embarrassed by the results.
    Well, we're all entitled to our opinions, right? I went to the Pit b/c it was supposed to be so good and was amazingly disappointed. And IMO Smithfield's is a poor excuse for barbecue. Go if you're desperate. Maybe my standards for taste are too high. I like bullocks. I LOVE lexington bbq. This would be a great topic for that new show Food Wars...

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post

Same for the Pit in Raleigh. Food is mediocre at best. And there's absolutely no reason to go to an "upscale" barbecue restaurant. Who ever heard of a barbecue restaurant anyway!
    While the Pit's bbq is overrated, it's not horrible by any stretch of the imagination. Also, Smithfield's has perfectly decent BBQ, and they have the best Brunswick stew anywhere, period.

Q Shack doesn't belong in any conversation about NC BBQ. They do a pretty straight forward Texas style.