The 2010 World Cup Thread

who is going to win??

I think these teams have the best opportunity to win it all:

1. Brazil/Spain
    2. Netherlands
    3. Germany
    4. Italy
    5. Portugal

Maybe throw in Argentina, France and England as the next tier.

Partly Orlando, FL partly heard Sandpoint, ID
    Last friendly on home soil before heading off to South Africa, and against a good opponent in Turkey. Was a really ugly first half, as our midfield/defense was just clueless on overlaps and switches. We were lucky to escape down only 1-0. Different story in the 2nd half though. Still some defensive issues, but our offense got going and took care of business for a 2-1 win. Really liked the play of Donovan, Dempsey, and Torres. Demerit, Bocanegra, and Bornestein all have me a bit concerned about the D though.

On to Roodepoort, South Africa for a final warmup against the Socceroos next Saturday.

The cup has not even started and the Three Lions are already missing PKs. Looks to be a long month.

http://sports.yahoo.com/soccer/news?...-japan-england

1) Spain
    2) (my underdog team this cup) France
    3) Argentina
    4) Brazil
    5) Germany

i know i'm not really stepping out on a limb here, but i like:

1. Spain

2. England

3. Netherlands

All three solid teams. and you can never count out brazil or italy, they just seem to always put it together

as for us, i was at the send off game against turkey. at half time i was thoroughly discouraged. we looked absolutely terrible. i noticed a couple things

1. we need gooch. i didnt realize how much our defense struggle when he is not there. he is the glue for our back line

2. everything runs through donovan. he is how we score. i think at one point during the confederation and/or gold cup 12 of 17 goals came through or by him

3. torres is the real deal. this kid impressed me the most (although findlay made a good impression on me as well) he controlled the midfield. settled things down when they were sporadic. this kid is legit.

all in all, the line-up that bradley put out in the first half was absolutely atrocious. the tweaks he made at half time were great. dempsey gets lazy when he is up top, he moved him back to wing and brought in findlay. clark was a no-show. he brought in torres and he controlled the midfield. cherundolo and gooch came in to strengthen the back line that was being torched all first half (notably on spector's side)

this could be a very short world cup for us unless we figure out our mess of a defense. here's to figuring that out!

I've changed the thread to loop all World Cup info/discussion into this thread. I was going to wait until the week of the World Cup to start one, but this one will work

As for my favorites, you have to go with Spain or Brazil. They're the strongest teams right now. I'd love to see the Dutch go far, and I think it's shaped up to let them go far. As for the U.S., realistically getting out of the group should be the goal. After that, as we saw last summer at the Confederations Cup, anything can happen. In the 2nd round, we could see a Germany who I think will struggle with the loss of their captain, Michael Ballack, a Ghana squad that will really hurt from losing their captain, Michael Essien, or Serbia or Australia (the latter who we will play next Saturday in one final friendly). I like our chances against any of these teams. So, to make the quarterfinals would be great, but it also wouldn't be unexpected, in my mind. We can do damage if our back line plays well and we get production from our offensive stars.
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

yes the injuries do help us out. although, i think germany is better off missing ballack, more so than ghana is missing essien

still. we have the road. now its just up to us to win. and to live up to the hype. we'll see.

i will say this, if he puts the line up out there that we had in the first half against england we will get run OFF the field! it was pathetic plain and simple

The problem for Germany is they are missing more than just Ballack. They have like 4 different center mids injured at the moment, leaving them pretty thin at the position. They've still got some talent there, but one more injury and their options are really limited.

i agree, i am just hoping we don't use all our energy and focus on england and overlook very capable algeria and slovenia teams

it'll be great to beat england, but its not a necessity to get out of our group.

Quote Originally Posted by soccerstud2210 View Post
    i agree, i am just hoping we don't use all our energy and focus on england and overlook very capable algeria and slovenia teams

it'll be great to beat england, but its not a necessity to get out of our group.
    Great point, a draw with England would be a super result, because it would give us confidence in our backs going into the next two games. We have to remember that all hope is not lost if we don't beat the Brits.

Where is everyone going to be watching the games?

Quote Originally Posted by whirlieduke4 View Post
    I encourage all of you in the DC area to come watch the U.S. matches with the DC chapter of the American Outlaws (AODC). We watch the games at Molly Malone's in Eastern Market. The American Outlaws is a supporters group for the national team and AODC, in less than a year of existence is its biggest chapter. I'm the membership chair for AODC, and would encourage you all to join us. It's almost as cool as being a Cameron Crazie, as we sing and cheer before the match and it's definitely the crowd you want to watch the match with.

We list a lot of stuff on our Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/...6030028?ref=ts) as well as our main website (http://dc.theamericanoutlaws.com). If you have any questions about the American Outlaws or any events we're doing for the World Cup, feel free to ask!

2003-2004 HLM

Quote Originally Posted by whirlieduke4 View Post
    Great point, a draw with England would be a super result, because it would give us confidence in our backs going into the next two games. We have to remember that all hope is not lost if we don't beat the Brits.

A loss would not be a disaster, for sure, but a draw gives the US a much better chance of avoiding Germany in the first round of the knockout stage. I think that would be key for the Americans to get into the quarter final. This would be a phenomenal result, and not outside the realm of possibility.

Getting revenge on zee Germans would be nice though. If that match up happens again, I really hope the US doesn't wear blue jerseys and white shorts like they did in Japan in '02. Making the players dress like smurfs didn't help against the much taller German squad.

Quote Originally Posted by gus View Post
    Getting revenge on zee Germans would be nice though. If that match up happens again, I really hope the US doesn't wear blue jerseys and white shorts like they did in Japan in '02. Making the players dress like smurfs didn't help against the much taller German squad.
    Depends on who would be the home team in that match. The Germans wear white shirts with black shorts, so we would have to counter with the blue shirts and white shorts. However, our home jerseys are all white, so if we're the home team, Germany will have to wear their all-black away jerseys.

2003-2004 HLM

Don't be too shocked if the Germans don't even make it out of group play. Serbia should top that group and Australia may give the Germans all they can handle - a healthy Essien would have made this a very tough group to call. And Germany has a squad with a grand total of 2 center mids. They might survive pool play that way, but if either of them picks up a knock or cards, who will step in. Lahm? Really? This is not a particularly good German team in many areas, and it could be their quickest out.

I'm still working through how things match up, but my early thoughts for who advances from each group are:
    Group A: Mexico, Uruguay(am tempted to slot S. Africa here, suspecting some hometown reffing, but they probably will be the first host nation not to advance out of pool play)
    Group B: Argentina, Nigeria
    Group C: England, USA
    Group D: Serbia, Australia
    Group E: Netherlands, Denmark
    Group F: Paraguay, Italy
    Group G: Brazil, Ivory Coast
    Group H: Spain, Chile

I'm not sold on the Germans taking the 1 seed out of Group D. As mentioned, Ballack is the headline injury, but they have several different injuries that will go a long way into affecting their play. Simon Rolfes tore up his knee, their keeper (Rene Adler, I think?) broke his rib...the list goes on. They have like 4 or 5 kids that played on the U-21 team last year that will see significant minutes on the full squad this year...The German trainers have been busier than anyone.

On top of that, Essien's injury really opens up the group as I think it really kills Ghana's chances of advancing. Serbia's got some quality talent with Vidic, Sulejmani and others with their only real weakness in front of the onion bag. It seems to me the Americans got extremely lucky in both their group stage draw and their first elimination round draw (now that we know of the injuries). And even though I'm doing my best to not get my hopes up, if we do play well, i think we have the opportunity to get into the quarters. With the possible exception of group A, I'd take playing the winner of group D over any of the other likely winners...

The sexy pick for me is a Socceroo/American matchup in the first elimination round. THAT would be sweet, but like Blazin mentioned, I think a realistic goal for our squad is to hope for a 2 seed out of the group and a competitive game - that we don't necesarily win - in the first elimination round. If that happens, I'll be satisfied if not overjoyed.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnGalt View Post
    I'm not sold on the Germans taking the 1 seed out of Group D. As mentioned, Ballack is the headline injury, but they have several different injuries that will go a long way into affecting their play. Simon Rolfes tore up his knee, their keeper (Rene Adler, I think?) broke his rib...the list goes on. They have like 4 or 5 kids that played on the U-21 team last year that will see significant minutes on the full squad this year...The German trainers have been busier than anyone.

On top of that, Essien's injury really opens up the group as I think it really kills Ghana's chances of advancing. Serbia's got some quality talent with Vidic, Sulejmani and others with their only real weakness in front of the onion bag. It seems to me the Americans got extremely lucky in both their group stage draw and their first elimination round draw (now that we know of the injuries). And even though I'm doing my best to not get my hopes up, if we do play well, i think we have the opportunity to get into the quarters. With the possible exception of group A, I'd take playing the winner of group D over any of the other likely winners...

The sexy pick for me is a Socceroo/American matchup in the first elimination round. THAT would be sweet, but like Blazin mentioned, I think a realistic goal for our squad is to hope for a 2 seed out of the group and a competitive game - that we don't necesarily win - in the first elimination round. If that happens, I'll be satisfied if not overjoyed.
    Pretty much agree wholeheartedly. As an additional note, yeah, Germany's #1 keeper went down with the injury, and recall that the guy who should have been Germany's #2 was the guy who committed suicide last year, so there's another spot which should have been a strength which is now unsettled.

Quote Originally Posted by Deslok View Post
    Don't be too shocked if the Germans don't even make it out of group play. Serbia should top that group and Australia may give the Germans all they can handle - a healthy Essien would have made this a very tough group to call. And Germany has a squad with a grand total of 2 center mids. They might survive pool play that way, but if either of them picks up a knock or cards, who will step in. Lahm? Really? This is not a particularly good German team in many areas, and it could be their quickest out.

I'm still working through how things match up, but my early thoughts for who advances from each group are:
    Group A: Mexico, Uruguay(am tempted to slot S. Africa here, suspecting some hometown reffing, but they probably will be the first host nation not to advance out of pool play)
    Group B: Argentina, Nigeria
    Group C: England, USA
    Group D: Serbia, Australia
    Group E: Netherlands, Denmark
    Group F: Paraguay, Italy
    Group G: Brazil, Ivory Coast
    Group H: Spain, Chile
    I ageed, Des (you beat me to it). I've read Schweinsteiger's going to slide into Ballack's role which is interesting because I feel like I've seen him at his best running the lines. Like I said, they'll be so young, I'm not sure they have any other options. Your list looks good, but I'm always nervous picking the African teams. They never seem to perform to expection...perhaps, the Cup being played on their continent will strike a match under them. I'm tempted to put South Korea in Nigeria's position as the coach hasn't been with the team long and Nigeria has a reputation of individualistic play as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Deslok View Post
    Pretty much agree wholeheartedly. As an additional note, yeah, Germany's #1 keeper went down with the injury, and recall that the guy who should have been Germany's #2 was the guy who committed suicide last year, so there's another spot which should have been a strength which is now unsettled.
    Yeah, that was really tragic.

Here's how I see the groups:

A - Uruguay, France (still wishing Ireland was in the Cup!)
    B - Argentina, South Korea (my token Asian squad)
    C - England, USA
    D - Socceroos, Serbia (tough group to call)
    E - Netherlands, Denmark
    F - Italy, Paraguay
    G - Brazil, Portugal
    H - Spain, Chile

Uruguay's the team nobody thinks of when naming World Cup winners. Mexico is unbelievably inconsistent. They tied Iceland a while back...ouch! Perhaps it's wishful thinking, but I think they'll go down in flames. France is a question mark too though as they had it rough with the Faroe Islands...who knows how much the scandels will affect Ribbery and Co. This group is tough to call simply because I think it's awfully weak from top to bottom. I think it's me just hoping Mexico doesn't advance

It will be interesting to see Paraguay's offense against Italy's defense. The teams could flip flop for 1 and 2 in the group, but for now I'm sticking with the prestige/star quality (Cannavaro, Buffon) of Italy to upstage the Paraguayans. Paraguay has also played horribly away from home going 3-3-3 when qualifying..eek. Again, a tough call.

Portugal/Ivory Coast is tough too (haha they all are!). Either could advance behind Brazil, but like I said before, it's hard for me to pick African teams as I generally don't think they advance well. They have the best chances of any of the African squads, but they did not look so great in the African Nations Cup. Poor North Korea...poor, poor North Korea.

Chile's a quality side. They finished 1 point behind Brazil in qualifying so look for them to make some noise. If you're looking for that killer pick, maybe take them over Spain in the group? That would certainly throw a wrench in things. For now, Spain is loaded and looks like everyone will be fit so I'm sticking with them to run through the group.

Spain hasn't been in excellent form for the past year, after just stomping through qualifying in Europe. And Casillas didn't perform all that well for Real this year, and their defense is a question. Since they will advance out of group play barring a major shock, the big question will be will they be healthy and in form as the knockout stages commence. Spain-Chile will probably be the most entertaining game of group play. There might not be much at stake, but both teams can score in bunches, and both have question marks on D. This year it doesn't seem like there are any teams that are really talented and clicking on all cylinders(as Brazil/Argentina/Germany/France/Italy will often seem to at times). And with a lack of weak teams, its a tough tourney to pick. Aside from the obvious eliminations - the NorKs, Kiwis, Honduras, Japan, and Ghana sans Essien - the difference between the 2nd place and 3rd/4th place teams in each group is not wide. C and F are the only groups that seem to have 2 distinctly weaker teams that should give the top 2 a less worrisome path(or a more worrisome coaches future if they fail to advance).