Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Scandal Brewing at Kansas?

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketb...utickets052610

From the article:

LAWRENCE, Kan. – A high-ranking member of the University of Kansas athletic department and the father of a prominent Jayhawks’ athlete allegedly made more than $800,000 in a ticket scalping operation that was orchestrated by college basketball power brokers David and Dana Pump, Yahoo! Sports has learned.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Smoke, fire and all that stuff, this does not look good. It will be interesting to follow this one. A lot of money, a lot of influence.

David Freeman, a Lawrence real estate developer who said he participated in the scheme, told Yahoo! Sports that he, former Kansas director of ticket operations Rodney Jones and high-profile alum Roger Morningstar – the father of Jayhawks guard Brady Morningstar – were following the instructions of the Pump brothers when the trio made hundreds of thousands of dollars scalping tickets during the 2002 and 2003 NCAA tournaments.
    What did Roy know, and when did he know it?

What's in a name?

Anything featuring the "Pump brothers" sounds juicy.

Seems to be more about adminstrators than players. Still, Roy was around when it happened so you can never tell who is going to try to rope him in.

--Jason "this is about money, not winning, so I think the cheating stench is not as bad" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Some of this goes on in every single D1 school of consequence. And yes, I mean the entire ACC.

Let's just hope that it is much less organized in our environs than it appears to have been in Kansas.

That's really interesting about Roy Williams. I wasn't thinking about that while reading the article. Sometimes coaches leave for a reason. Hmmmm so maybe that's while Roy left after saying he had no interest in Carolina. Do you really think that Self and Williams knew about this?

Quote Originally Posted by cbnaylor View Post
    Do you really think that Self and Williams knew about this?
    No.

Absent evidence that any AD knew about this type of activity and turned a blind eye, I see this as individual criminal activity and not anything associated with any particular program. If the NCAA takes any action, it will only be because it wanted to make the money instead of some poor schmoe who tried to flip some tickets.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    No.

Absent evidence that any AD knew about this type of activity and turned a blind eye, I see this as individual criminal activity and not anything associated with any particular program. If the NCAA takes any action, it will only be because it wanted to make the money instead of some poor schmoe who tried to flip some tickets.
    I agree with your characterization that the NCAA protects its own financial interests. However, calling these scalpers "poor shmoes" goes to far. What kind of "poor shmoe" definition are you using????

KU will have a press conference at 1:30 CDT to announce the results of their internal investigation.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Seems to be more about adminstrators than players. Still, Roy was around when it happened so you can never tell who is going to try to rope him in.

--Jason "this is about money, not winning, so I think the cheating stench is not as bad" Evans
    Well, maybe. Then again, we may only be looking at one side of the transaction. We know that Kansas provided the Pump brothers with tickets worth hundreds of thousands of dollars on the secondary market, and we know that Kansas has had a fair amount of success in recruiting players affiliated with the Pump brothers over the years, both under Williams and Self.

Is there a connection? It's too early to tell.

Wink I Dunno, Jason

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

If the father of a Jayhawk athlete is making hundreds of thousands of dollars out of scalping tickets in connivance with a member of the athletic department, this is a really, really big deal.

sagegrouse

I wonders how this effects Josh Selby?

Quote Originally Posted by Cockabeau View Post
    I wonders how this effects Josh Selby?
    His dad won't get as many tickets, nor will they be as valuable as they would have been

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Well, maybe. Then again, we may only be looking at one side of the transaction. We know that Kansas provided the Pump brothers with tickets worth hundreds of thousands of dollars on the secondary market, and we know that Kansas has had a fair amount of success in recruiting players affiliated with the Pump brothers over the years, both under Williams and Self.

And, in turn, the Pump Bros couldn't make money selling KU's NCAA Tourney tickets if the Jayhawks weren't in the tourney. It would make sense for them to send their best players to the program that was facilitating their money-making scheme so as to keep it vital.

I don't think we've heard even the tip of the iceberg of this story and how much roy knew. It seems as though this real estate developer is ready to sing.

This story is barely causing a ripple at Inside Carolina. Honestly, I hope it doesn't spill over to Ole Roy. I'd rather see him get smacked around on the court by the Devils than get dragged through some Kansas mud.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    ... I'd rather see him get smacked around on the court by the Devils than get dragged through some Kansas mud.
    Why not both?

Airowe is right! I think this is just the beginning of a story that is about to unfold. I'm sick and tired of people getting their hands on basketball programs that has no reason to stick their noses in it. Wide World Wes, the Mr. Clifton, and others such as these guys.

Far be it from me to cast aspersions, but it appears that the Pumps were Roy's pimps.

cannot be ignored

We need to not forget that these guys were getting donations for the program which supposedly helped them get favorable spots in line for tickets. It makes one wonder what else the boosters did to help move their way up the line. Maybe help push recruits to certain AAU teams managed by people who could help KU in the recruitment. I think everyone is right this is only the beginning. I for one hope it does not get swept under the rug I am tired of this crap affecting programs i want to see people getting in trouble for messing up the game.