Docking station advice needed

I have decided to replace my limping along HP Pavilion desktop with a Toshiba Satellite A505-S6005 laptop. I've done due diligence on price, and it appears that Best Buy wins out. It helps that it has a good Consumer Reports review, a 16" wide screen, and a 6.6 hour battery life. I've decided to also get a docking station for use at home, one that connects with a USB cable, since the Toshiba has no docking port. Toshiba markets one under its name, the Toshiba Dynadock Universal USB Docking Station @ about $100, but it doesn't provide support for it. Do any of you have some helpful ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post
    I have decided to replace my limping along HP Pavilion desktop with a Toshiba Satellite A505-S6005 laptop. I've done due diligence on price, and it appears that Best Buy wins out. It helps that it has a good Consumer Reports review, a 16" wide screen, and a 6.6 hour battery life. I've decided to also get a docking station for use at home, one that connects with a USB cable, since the Toshiba has no docking port. Toshiba markets one under its name, the Toshiba Dynadock Universal USB Docking Station @ about $100, but it doesn't provide support for it. Do any of you have some helpful ideas?
    I've always been against the idea of docking stations, but I guess it depends on how often you use your laptop at a desk. 99% of the time* my laptop is on my lap, and even when I'm at a desk, I don't see the benefit of one, especially one that is not shaped to fit the laptop.

I just looked up the item you are talking about -- unless I'm mistaken, it's a glorified USB hub + monitor ports. Do you plan on using the laptop with a monitor a lot? Even then I just don't see this being that useful. USB hubs generally go for $20-30 range (albeit not as pretty as the Toshiba dock), that would be my recommendation based on my guess.

Also one more thing, is there a difference between A505-S6005 and A505-S6004? Amazon has the latter for $666.85 and I see the former listed at $629.99 on BestBuy.com. Asuming 5% tax, that's comparable prices... I'm just always trying to convince people from giving money to Best Buy

---

* I take that back -- when I use my laptop at work (it's my main computer at home and at work), it sits on my desk, on top of the case it came in. Every morning I connect (1) USB hub, (2) monitor dongle, (3) headphones, and (4) power -- I imagine I would save maybe 30 seconds if I had a docking station that had those four items already connected... but I just can't justify a $100 purchase for something like this, even when I use my laptop at a desk 50% of the time
    Last edited by hc5duke; 05-25-2010 at 12:58 AM.

IMO, a docking station is unnecessary. Just buy a big flatscreen monitor for your desk, hook it up and you're there. (Well, with a non-Mac laptop, you have to set up for each screen. Macs read the screen and automatically adjust, though you can also adjust it however you want.)*

If you want a full-size keyboard and a mouse, I'd consider bluetooth versions. Run it in 'clamshell' where the top is closed, whether you choose bluetooth or not.

You do go through batteries, but cordless is much better IMO.

*Now that I think of it, you can run two screens simultaneously with Windows. Probably can with Macs, too, but I haven't tried it.

Why have you decided on getting a docking station? Do you need a bigger display? What's the price difference between a laptop with your display needs and what you're currently looking at?

I use my laptop at home quite a bit and because the screen is big enough I just keep the laptop open and hook my power, phone, keyboard and mouse to it every time. It takes 2 second to disconnect everything and about 10 seconds to reconnect everything. If you don't have to connect your phone then that will save even more time. And, if you don't mind the battery issue with using blue tooth then you only have to worry about hooking up the power cord, which could be less time than connecting to the docking station.

Jarhead . . .

My office computer is an excellent Dell laptop, with a full Dell docking station installed at my desk. I much prefer this "concept of operations" either to the laptop alone (small keyboard, small monitor, requirements to connect/disconnect external devices such as the mouse daily) or to a traditional, large PC (no mobility). This approach allows me to carry my laptop on all trips (many monthly) and to my home every evening. It also permits me to take my computer to in-office meetings and discussions.

With this said, my experience is the optimal setup is entirely individual and fundamentally based upon: (a) how you will use your new Toshiba and (b) individual physical factors (visual acuity, typing ability on a "little keyboard" and so forth).

Warm regards and s/f -

I would recommend a logitech laptop stand with a wireless keyboard and mouse. You can get both for around $100 if you look around. For those of you who say a docking station is unnecessary, I would caution that prolonged use of a laptop is horrible for your back. Your posture is all hunched over and can mess you up in a hurry if you use it for hours. I have always used a desktop at work, but when I switched to a laptop I got a pinched nerve in my back within a month of daily use. I switched to the laptop stand and the problem went away and has never returned.

The nice thing about a laptop stand is that you don't need to buy an additional monitor. You can also accomplish the same thing with some hefty phone books, but the stand is a little more functional. It also has 3-4 additional USB ports, including one on the front which is nice.
    "There can BE only one."

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    You can also accomplish the same thing with some hefty phone books, but the stand is a little more functional. It also has 3-4 additional USB ports, including one on the front which is nice.
    I like Highlander's advice, but would offer a caution. The most destructive, normally encountered condition for laptop circuits is intense thermal stress, which is why most laptops have robust fan/ventilation systems. Those phone books are truly great insulators and could (without adequate ventilation and if placed immediately abutting to the laptop) add to the computer's internal junction temperatures. This will likely cause premature failures and possibly result in poor laptop life/reliability. Many individuals never consider these types of issues, but they are important.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim3k View Post
    IMO, a docking station is unnecessary. Just buy a big flatscreen monitor for your desk, hook it up and you're there. (Well, with a non-Mac laptop, you have to set up for each screen. Macs read the screen and automatically adjust, though you can also adjust it however you want.)*

If you want a full-size keyboard and a mouse, I'd consider bluetooth versions. Run it in 'clamshell' where the top is closed, whether you choose bluetooth or not.

You do go through batteries, but cordless is much better IMO.

*Now that I think of it, you can run two screens simultaneously with Windows. Probably can with Macs, too, but I haven't tried it.
    I just checked the specs on that Toshiba. Looks like it does not support Bluetooth, so if you are committed to that model, my suggestion does not apply, at least insofar as cordless keyboard and mouse are concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim3k View Post
    I just checked the specs on that Toshiba. Looks like it does not support Bluetooth, so if you are committed to that model, my suggestion does not apply, at least insofar as cordless keyboard and mouse are concerned.
    Jim, I haven't even thought about Bluetooth. The closest I've ever come to it is the OnStar in my Buick. I don't even own a cell phone.

This lap top I've decided on meets my needs. It will replace a 1½ year old desktop that is is out of warranty, and needs repairs. Repair estimates are in the neighborhood of the best price I have found for the Toshiba. It is a desk top replacement, and that will be its main function. Using it as portable device will be only when I travel, leisure travel, that is. It will remain in my desk for weeks at a time, but the travel use is a nice convenience.

The desk is an older Riverside roll top desk that was designed for earlier PCs such as the IBM PC-AT, or the IBM PS-2. I modified it to take care of the more modern tower PCs. It even has a cooling fan where the lap top would be situated, and the desk weighs a ton. I love my desk, warts and all, but no more desktop computers for me.

The virtue of the docking station is it will now be the focus of all of those wires and cables that reside on and behind the desk. I am retaining my present keyboard, monitor, sound system, et al, all of which a docking station would handle admirably. Any wires and cables will now be concealed in the desk interior, except for the keyboard connection, and the one USB cable that connects the lap top to it. I am a two finger keyboarder on a lap top, but on a standard key board, I think I use as many as seven or eight fingers. My mouse will connect to the docking station in the wireless mode.

When I leave on a trip, I need only disconnect the USB cable and power source, and move out. Thanks, to everyone that has offered advice. One other thing that I have learned is that there is a wireless docking station available. It costs more, but I can see it serving a purpose, maybe just a little bit.

Quote Originally Posted by 4decadedukie View Post
    I like Highlander's advice, but would offer a caution. The most destructive, normally encountered condition for laptop circuits is intense thermal stress, which is why most laptops have robust fan/ventilation systems. Those phone books are truly great insulators and could (without adequate ventilation and if placed immediately abutting to the laptop) add to the computer's internal junction temperatures. This will likely cause premature failures and possibly result in poor laptop life/reliability. Many individuals never consider these types of issues, but they are important.
    Very true. I should clarify that I have the phonebooks underneath the laptop stand, which provides very good ventiliation. Getting the monitor up to eye level is key, but not at the expense of sacrificing ventilation and thermal stress.

Given Jarhead's desire to use his existing equipment (keyboard, mouse, etc), it sounds like a docking station may be a better fit than a laptop stand.
    "There can BE only one."

Given Jarhead's desire to use his existing equipment (keyboard, mouse, etc), it sounds like a docking station may be a better fit than a laptop stand.
    The problem with a stand is my desk. The stand will not fit, and my desk is already equipped with a fan. The fan goes back to when I upgraded the processor in my PC-AT. It kept my coffee heated better than any other task it performed.

It is looking like a docking station, or some reasonable facsimile, is my best option. I was hoping that someone here would have some experience with docking stations. The internet is pretty silent about them. It only wants to sell them.

The problem with a stand is my desk. The stand will not fit, and my desk is already equipped with a fan. The fan goes back to when I upgraded the processor in my PC-AT. It kept my coffee heated better than any other task it performed.

It is looking like a docking station, or some reasonable facsimile, is my best option. I was hoping that someone here would have some experience with docking stations. The internet is pretty silent about them. It only wants to sell them.
    Sorry, the only docking stations I have ever used are manufacturer specific models for laptops with a docking connection. Never had to buy a generic one for a laptop that isn't especially equipped. In general, They work great if you're used to using a desktop and do wonders with cord management, but are generally overpriced IMO.
    "There can BE only one."

Sorry, the only docking stations I have ever used are manufacturer specific models for laptops with a docking connection. Never had to buy a generic one for a laptop that isn't especially equipped. In general, They work great if you're used to using a desktop and do wonders with cord management, but are generally overpriced IMO.
    Thanks for the effort, Highlander, and everybody else. I think I have my direction now. All I have to do is home coordination. That means that the Mrs will find something for me to do. A funny thing has happened on the way here. Last night before going to bed, I decided to check the fan in my desk. After I struggled to connect it, it wouldn't work. Bummer.

Thanks for the effort, Highlander, and everybody else. I think I have my direction now. All I have to do is home coordination. That means that the Mrs will find something for me to do. A funny thing has happened on the way here. Last night before going to bed, I decided to check the fan in my desk. After I struggled to connect it, it wouldn't work. Bummer.
    These might help.
    http://www.costco.com/Common/Categor...167&lang=en-US
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Of COURSE you have a Dell docking station

Quote Originally Posted by 4decadedukie View Post
    My office computer is an excellent Dell laptop, with a full Dell docking station installed at my desk. I much prefer this "concept of operations" either to the laptop alone (small keyboard, small monitor, requirements to connect/disconnect external devices such as the mouse daily) or to a traditional, large PC (no mobility). This approach allows me to carry my laptop on all trips (many monthly) and to my home every evening. It also permits me to take my computer to in-office meetings and discussions. -
    When I saw your thread title, I suspected. When I read your first post, I predicted, and now I find it's true. Yep!!! You have a Dell docking station for your work computer.

I've worked at 2 companies that fell prey to Dell selling laptops as desktops (with free docking stations). Typical Dell laptops usually don't have the qualities that mobile users desire:

A) Lightweight
    B) Good battery life
    C) Bright screen
    D) Full size keyboard
    E) Standard keyboard key placement

With my Dell laptops, I also made use of my free docking station all the time. But they remain alone in both my need, or desire, to run on a docking station. As you can tell, I find them essentially useless as mobile workstations. On the plus side, they do come with dual core chips, which contributes to the 48 minute battery life.

You're right. How you setup a workstation is a personal choice. But I'll echo what most have said over the last few days about docking stations mostly being unnecessary. I would recommend 2 things:
    1) Don't make your laptop decision based on docking station features
    2) Try running without a docking station for a while. Use it on your lap while watching tv. sit it on the deck and use the keyboard...

I'm jealous you're getting a new toy.

Oh yeah one more thing. I am in violent disagreement with the poster that said don't buy at Best Buy. Don't give your money to Amazon!!!!!! Buy from Best Buy and help your local economy. Sending money to southern California's .con world should be a last resort.

No need with the Toshiba

Looked at pictures at Toshiba's web site. You really REALLY REALLY do NOT need a docking station. The Toshiba has 3 built-in USB ports, as well as a dedicated VGA connector and built in Ethernet port. So everything you would want to connect (monitor, keyboard, mouse, external drive) would be connectible via the standard laptop ports.

The only additional value a docking station would bring to your setup would be cable control - and efficient "connecting" of your peripherals (1 connection instead of 4 (power, VGA, Mouse, Keyboard)).

Quote Originally Posted by cf-62 View Post
    Looked at pictures at Toshiba's web site. You really REALLY REALLY do NOT need a docking station. The Toshiba has 3 built-in USB ports, as well as a dedicated VGA connector and built in Ethernet port. So everything you would want to connect (monitor, keyboard, mouse, external drive) would be connectible via the standard laptop ports.

The only additional value a docking station would bring to your setup would be cable control - and efficient "connecting" of your peripherals (1 connection instead of 4 (power, VGA, Mouse, Keyboard)).
    That's good advice, and it coincides with the advice of the sales clerk at Best Buy, and at the Fort Bragg PX. I went ahead, and made the buy..., at Best Buy. The PX would have matched the price, and I would have saved the tax, but the PX did not stock the Toshiba I wanted. Bummer. It is the Satellite AS505-S0005 laptop. The only negative in the purchase was the sales pitch for all sorts of things including Geek Squad service. By the time he finished I was expecting him to offer pin stripes painted across the cover.

It was fun getting it partially set up, but I can't maneuver the pointer worth a hoot. I skipped over a lot of the set up, intending to go through the whole thing later. I was a bit amazed when it got to the Norton set up. It is a 30 day trial, but it found my account at Symantec quite easily. I hadn't even thought of the internet at that point. It just appeared on my screen. The sales clerk had tried to sell some other packages, but I have been satisfied with Norton for a couple of years, now. Since I have a site license, maybe it will work on this new gadget.

As for the docking station, they work, and there are plenty from which to choose. A bit pricey, though. To use the laptop at home, the connections are quite simple. A USB hub might make it easier, but only marginally. So far, I am happy with the Toshiba purchase. I think I'll check it out at Panera this evening.

Okay, this thread is over and done with. I purchased my new Toshiba Satellite AS 505-S6005 Saturday. I started setting it up yesterday and was finished before I retired for the night. Best decision on computers I've ever made. The only problems I had to start came from my lack of familiarity with laptops. Once I got through that I did worry about getting my stuff from the old computer, about 20 gigs of stuff. Microsoft's Easy Transfer made that a piece of cake.

That doesn't include the stuff that makes my Firefox and Thunderbird work for me. It was easy enough to download the software, but what would I do without my bookmarks, my address book, my email, and my nice comfortable means for living on the internet. It looked impossible, but I stumbled on something called MozBackup.exe (Google it). It was simple. With it I backed up Foxfire and Thunderbird on my old computer onto a flash drive. Then on the new laptop I downloaded the latest version of Firefox and Thunderbird, and installed them. Then I just restored both from the flash drive. Voila, it was done. It took about ten minutes.

Took a lot longer to install my library of software, and to transfer licenses. Now I am very comfortable with my new laptop. No docking station needed, and my monitor, mouse, conventional keyboard, sound system, and printer-scanner-fax machine are doing just great. Now, when I so desire, I can go down to Panera Bread and enjoy a bagel while I browse the web. I will not do twitter or facebook, though.

Oh, yeah, Windows 7. It took me about fifteen minutes to learn that it is a very big improvement over XP and Vista. As I wander through the maze, I sometimes make a wrong turn, but it is fun learning to get back in line.

Okay, this thread is over and done with. I purchased my new Toshiba Satellite AS 505-S6005 Saturday.

That doesn't include the stuff that makes my Firefox and Thunderbird work for me. It was easy enough to download the software, but what would I do without my bookmarks, my address book, my email, and my nice comfortable means for living on the internet. It looked impossible, but I stumbled on something called MozBackup.exe (Google it). It was simple.
    Glad you got everything taken care of and set up! Another option for Firefox is the XMarks add on. (Don't know if it does anything for Thunderbird.) It keeps tracks of your bookmarks (and passwords if you want - that is something you have to opt into) and if you have multiple computers will sync the bookmarks across them, even as you change any one of them. Not your case, although if you had it on the old computer you could have just signed in on the new one and the bookmarks would have been added automatically.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Glad you got everything taken care of and set up! Another option for Firefox is the XMarks add on. (Don't know if it does anything for Thunderbird.) It keeps tracks of your bookmarks (and passwords if you want - that is something you have to opt into) and if you have multiple computers will sync the bookmarks across them, even as you change any one of them. Not your case, although if you had it on the old computer you could have just signed in on the new one and the bookmarks would have been added automatically.
    Yeah, Oz, I had thought about XMarks before, but somehow I just forget to install it. The neat thing about Mozbackcup is that it backs up the whole thing, including bookmarks, passwords, preferences, skins, tool bars, etc., all of the things with which a user tailors his or her Foxfire environment. Those things exist in a mysterious set of files that are also difficult to locate.

Same thing in Thunderbird. It grabs everything including mail, address books, mail server info, tool bars, and the whole screen view. Some of my mail is important to save in easy to use mail folders. I don't keep everything, though. That would be too much. They go back several years. Maybe I'm anal about this, but some email, sent and received, is important, and the computer is a nice place for archives. Oh, yeah, as long as they are backed up.

Back in the day, I would print them out, and file them. That stopped a long time ago. We have a couple of file cabinets taking up space in the walk-in closet, filled with paper. I wish I had the time to scan all of the important stuff, and save it on the hard disk.