I have the magic touch. :)

Hi,

If you include the thread about the three kids "vacationing" along the Iraqi/Iranian border I have a few threads I've started that have been closed although I thought there was still something to say about it. I view it this way, if one posts a lot and has a lot to say statistically it leaves one open to having a thread quashed. Though every time it happens I want to get Milton's "Areopagitica" out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Areopagitica

I realize that DBR does not claim to have free speech, it is just what comes to mind when it occurs.

I wanted to add to the thread that has been closed that two of the hikers are now engaged and wanted to give props to the person, can't remember who it was, who said these kids might be wanting their moment of fame so as to write a book or what have you.

http://www.aolnews.com/world/article...eed%2F19488807

GO DUKE!
    Last edited by Kewlswim; 05-24-2010 at 01:49 PM.

kewlswim

Thanks! That was me. Yeah, I thought it seemed like one of those publicity situations. Thanks for the link. Just when you think you've seen it all.

Quote Originally Posted by hedevil View Post
    Thanks! That was me. Yeah, I thought it seemed like one of those publicity situations. Thanks for the link. Just when you think you've seen it all.
    yeah, I'm sure they figured that the best way to get their names in the news is to be arrested and imprisoned in Iran

bluebear - I'm not saying that they necessarily planned it out that way, step by step. But I don't put it past people that I don't know to do stupid things. Crazier things have and continue to happen in this world. No matter how you look at it, no one can explain with certainty what they were doing there in the first place. Not too long ago, 3 American women (south Korean nationalities) were caught (now released) by North Korea (in North Korea). I can't explain why people do certain things, nor do I have to. What I do know is that these kinds of stories bring alot of publicity to those involved. As to motive, who knows?

My guess is as good as yours.

Don't forget...

Quote Originally Posted by bluebear View Post
    yeah, I'm sure they figured that the best way to get their names in the news is to be arrested and imprisoned in Iran
    Hi,

They might not have counted on that part.

GO DUKE!

Some threads that start off in an interesting way get hijacked into PP territory and get closed.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Some threads that start off in an interesting way get hijacked into PP territory and get closed.

-jk
    But not the thread about the hikers that "strayed" into Iran. I still wonder why that thread was closed.