Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

The Stanley Cup March

Guess we can now start that next round thread for the remaining teams.

I hope my Wing can shake off face-off woes and beat the striped shirts tonight, along with the shark.

Impressive win by the blackhawk last night...

Yah, well, never mind.
    Wings against ropes. ugh.

We had no business giving up that lead. We easily could be up 3-0 or 2-1, but instead we look out of it and have taken a serious punch that we may not get back up from. It has happened before (once)...just gotta take one game at a time.
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

What I hope happens:

Sharks over Wings
    Vancouver/Chicago: don't care

Montreal over Pens
    Boston/Philly: don't care

----

Sharks out of the West, Montreal out of the East

Sharks win the Cup

Phooey...Wings just too banged up to bring it.
    At least me baseball team is looking pretty good so far.

Go Habs.

Anybody but Pittsburgh or Chicago at this point for me...

2003-2004 HLM

Quote Originally Posted by blazindw View Post
    Anybody but Pittsburgh or Chicago at this point for me...
    I have a hard time seeing anyone else in the Finals.

Quote Originally Posted by phaedrus View Post
    I have a hard time seeing anyone else in the Finals.
    Go San Jose or Boston or Montreal.

2003-2004 HLM

And the Habs are going to game 7. Could this be real?

And the Habs are going to game 7. Could this be real?
    Please win, Habs...for all of us!

2003-2004 HLM

Please win, Habs...for all of us!
    Lord yes....

Partly Orlando, FL partly heard Sandpoint, ID
    Someday soon, Lord Stanley's Cup will be marching to Winnipeg.
    Hey, as a kid who grew up loving the Jets, Dale Hawerchuk, Eddy Olcyk, Teppo Numinnen, Phil Housley, Teemu Selanne, Nikolai Khabibulin, etc, it would be awesome if they franchise could go back to its roots(and really, don't ask how a NJ kid ends up becoming a fan of a team in Manitoba, I have no idea). Oh, and since its been years, I'm sure I just butchered the spelling of a bunch of those guys.

Time to start calling Sidney Crosby out for being a choking dog in this series
    6 games, 1 goal 4 assists, +1

For all the grief that Ovie got...he fared much better....5 goals, 5 assists +5

Quote Originally Posted by TheTrain View Post
    Time to start calling Sidney Crosby out for being a choking dog in this series
    6 games, 1 goal 4 assists, +1

For all the grief that Ovie got...he fared much better....5 goals, 5 assists +5
    Exactly what I was saying when the Caps were eliminated and all the talk about how great Crosby is compared to Ovie happened.

Here's how I compare Ovie to Crosby: Ovie will say "I'm gonna beat your (butt) tonight." That night, he will score 3 goals and he'll say "I told you so." Crosby will say "I'm gonna beat your (butt) tonight." That night, Malkin will score 2 goals and Maxine Talbot will score 1, Crosby will have done nothing and he'll say "I told you so."

2003-2004 HLM

Ah yes, sounds like the classic hoops rationalization: "I don't care what the scoreboard says - I win as long as I get my 25 points..."

From http://www.hockey-reference.com/lead...me_career.html

Rank Player PTS/G
    1. Wayne Gretzky* 1.921
    2. Mario Lemieux* 1.883
    3. Mike Bossy* 1.497
    4. Bobby Orr* 1.393
    5. Sidney Crosby 1.364
    6. Alex Ovechkin 1.336

Pretty similar, except Sid's got a Cup and Olympic gold, and, oh yeah, he's still playing (at least for one more game) this year...

Let's go, Pens!

Quote Originally Posted by Turk View Post
    Ah yes, sounds like the classic hoops rationalization: "I don't care what the scoreboard says - I win as long as I get my 25 points..."

From http://www.hockey-reference.com/lead...me_career.html

Rank Player PTS/G
    1. Wayne Gretzky* 1.921
    2. Mario Lemieux* 1.883
    3. Mike Bossy* 1.497
    4. Bobby Orr* 1.393
    5. Sidney Crosby 1.364
    6. Alex Ovechkin 1.336

Pretty similar, except Sid's got a Cup and Olympic gold, and, oh yeah, he's still playing (at least for one more game) this year...

Let's go, Pens!
    Not at all what I meant. What I meant was that you can't do nothing and then talk trash about it. In my example, both teams win. Sure, Sid's got a Cup and Olympic gold, but he talked a lot of smack before he got those. He talked about the Wings last year like he was just allowing them to win games in the Stanley Cup finals. He also did the year before when the Wings won. Ovie talks a big game, but 90% of the time he goes out and backs it up. When he doesn't, sure the Caps lose...because he really has no one else on his team, no disrespect to Semin. I don't even think that Crosby is the best player on his own team (I think that's Malkin), and when you talk about having arguably 2 of the best players in hockey on the same team, you're going to win some games. But, that's not all Crosby, and I don't think he should strut around like it is all him (and he does do that).

2003-2004 HLM

Wink

Not at all what I meant. What I meant was that you can't do nothing and then talk trash about it. In my example, both teams win. Sure, Sid's got a Cup and Olympic gold, but he talked a lot of smack before he got those. He talked about the Wings last year like he was just allowing them to win games in the Stanley Cup finals. He also did the year before when the Wings won. Ovie talks a big game, but 90% of the time he goes out and backs it up. When he doesn't, sure the Caps lose...because he really has no one else on his team, no disrespect to Semin. I don't even think that Crosby is the best player on his own team (I think that's Malkin), and when you talk about having arguably 2 of the best players in hockey on the same team, you're going to win some games. But, that's not all Crosby, and I don't think he should strut around like it is all him (and he does do that).
    Well, I'd say calling a 40-goal scorer "no one" is disrespect. You also managed to forget the NHL's 4th-leading point-getter, Backstrom, and the NHL's best offensive defenseman, Mike Green.

And you failed to mention that Washington plays in the league's worst division, by a lot, and that in the NHL, teams play a whopping 7 games against each team in their division.

But I can see why you dislike Crosby. Your teams haven't had great luck against him of late, right?

Ovechkin's an outstanding player, though, obviously. I got nervous every time he touched the puck against Montreal. Unfortunately, Crosby and Malkin both do that to me for Pittsburgh.

Quote Originally Posted by Deslok View Post
    Someday soon, Lord Stanley's Cup will be marching to Winnipeg.
    Hey, as a kid who grew up loving the Jets, Dale Hawerchuk, Eddy Olcyk, Teppo Numinnen, Phil Housley, Teemu Selanne, Nikolai Khabibulin, etc, it would be awesome if they franchise could go back to its roots(and really, don't ask how a NJ kid ends up becoming a fan of a team in Manitoba, I have no idea). Oh, and since its been years, I'm sure I just butchered the spelling of a bunch of those guys.
    Ah, the mood in Winnipeg today was false hope, so thick you could feel it.

Is it strange that a Glendale, Arizona, city council meeting was on the front page of the Winnipeg papers this morning (and surely will be again tomorrow)? Unfortunately, it looks like we'll have to wait one more year, at least.

Well, I'd say calling a 40-goal scorer "no one" is disrespect. You also managed to forget the NHL's 4th-leading point-getter, Backstrom, and the NHL's best offensive defenseman, Mike Green.

And you failed to mention that Washington plays in the league's worst division, by a lot, and that in the NHL, teams play a whopping 7 games against each team in their division.

But I can see why you dislike Crosby. Your teams haven't had great luck against him of late, right?

Ovechkin's an outstanding player, though, obviously. I got nervous every time he touched the puck against Montreal. Unfortunately, Crosby and Malkin both do that to me for Pittsburgh.
    The Caps swept Pittsburgh this year for the record
    Crosby's lame numbers against the Habs have come against a decimated Montreal defense...Spacek and Markov have been out...Gill sat out game 6, the only game Crosby scored in
    What is so funny about the lionization of Crosby is that he did next to nothing in the Olympic final before his OT goal...wasn't even dangerous for most of the game....but for the game going to OT in the final seconds, he would have had as much impact on the result as Marc Andre Fleury

I love that the Montreal rags have dubbed him Sid the Skid

Blaze,

You, Weezie, and everybody else on this thread know far more about hockey than I do. I moved to Pittsburgh a couple of years back and have become a casual follower of the Penguins. But I do feel like I've been around long enough to call you out for not supporting your last statement with some evidence.

Crosby is possibly the most boring, humble interviewee I've ever seen. When does he "strut?" When has he claimed full credit for anything?

Looking forward to being educated here, as I'm sure it's just a case of the Pittsburgh media protecting their golden boy