Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Scheyer's Overseas Prospects

I read with interest the link on the main page suggesting the Jon Scheyer could have a nice basketball career playing in Israel. The story brought to mind an American-born player who had a wonderful career playing in Israel - Tal Brody. Brody is from my era and was a fine, all around player for Illinois in the mid-60's (not unlike Scheyer). He was the first round pick of the Bullets in '65 or '66. Back in those days, it was not nearly as lucrative playing in the NBA as it is now and a pro team from Israel made him a better offer. He went on to becoming perhaps the best known sports star ever in that country after leading the Israeli team to the world championship.

The last time my wife and I visited Israel, we stayed with a family on a kibbutz for a night and while watching some youngsters play some playground basketball, I casually mentioned that a player from the US had spurned my favorite pro team to play in Israel in the 60's. All the adults who were watching immediately mentioned Brody and filled me in on his exploits from 30-35 years prior.

There is no doubt in my mind that Jon, with his all around team play that is admired in the European game, could become a big star playing in Israel. I also think the he could become a solid player in the 24-second game although it all depends on the team that drafts him.

gw67
    Last edited by gw67; 05-24-2010 at 08:34 AM. Reason: typo