Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Lost: The End

Sorry, but I can't say I loved it - even if I don't fully understand it yet.

First off, as someone else mentioned, why does Jack get to have a kid in Purgatory?

Second, why was his wife Juliet and not his "real" wife? After all, Locke had the same girlfriend (i.e. Peg) and Sayid still had Nadia in his life and the Widmore's were together.

Third, why did Eloise give a darn about Desmond wanting to leave? Why would she care who stayed in Purgatory with her (other than her son, Daniel)?

Fourth, I guess, as Christian said, there is no "'now' here" but it seemed that Jack was the last to walk into the church and thus the lone member of the group that was waiting to move on, yet he actually died fairly early in "real"/island life, right? Maybe the timing was irrelevant in sideways Purgatory but it seemed odd to me that he was basically the last to walk in.

I'm sure I'll think of other things that don't add up or make sense, but those are the big ones for me now.

MIB saw his dead mother, but Jacob couldn't. Hurley sees dead people that others can't. Alot of people say this is going to end up between Jack and Flocke, are we shortchanging Hurley as a player in the overall game?

First, let's talk about the idea of Redemption. Way, way back in Season 1, many hardcore fans suggested that the island was a sort of Purgatory, which was quickly dismissed by TPTB. Despite their protests and denials, it always seemed that characters died (were freed) once they came to terms with a personal issue. I was completely shocked that once Sawyer waxed Cooper, Smokey didn't show-up and maul him. The whole idea behind Purgatory, is that it's a place where people are sent in order to go purification. You can twist it slightly and say they are REDEEMED.

Do I get a gold star or something for these calls?

So not only do I sit through a questionable finale, but I also waste an hour watching Kimmel for the bogus alternate endings.

Maybe I'm not getting it, but exactly what loose ends were tied up?

Yeah, the Kimmel show was WEAK! I can't believe I stayed up for that crap - ugh! I think I laughed maybe twice. Although...it was nice to see Emilie de Ravin in that dress

I couldn't catch the alternate endings...any place to see them or at least a summary of them? (even if they are "weak")
    Duke '03
    Tent 1 '99/'00

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDevil View Post
    I couldn't catch the alternate endings...any place to see them or at least a summary of them? (even if they are "weak")
    They were not real alternate endings, just parodies of Survivor, Bob Newhart, and Sopranos.

Oh well, it was a fun ride while it lasted. Time to hit the sack and in the morning I'll prepare for the 24 finale.

Sixth Sense?

I never saw the Sixth Sense, but, from my understanding of the plot and ending, LOST's finale seems to be a play on that same idea (dead people not realizing they are dead being able to move on).

Quote Originally Posted by DevilHorns View Post
    Anyone else think that Ben was going to kill Hurley somehow or convince him to give up the power after Jack was done transferring it?

I think they could have made Ben show his evil side one more time...
    I was cringing with the expectation of some kind of warm embrace whereby Ben would seize the opportunity to take the upper hand.

(Potentially) Found it telling that Ben was to remain in purgatory beyond the time of the other Losties. Do you think this was to make up for his sins, or was he just not ready to "move on"? Also, were Flaherty and Charlotte at the church? If they were I can easily draw my conclusion of Ben being a graver sinner than others and needing to remain; if they were not thought, then that is a bit open ended as to why he remained (i.e., the "business" he needed to finish).

I still don't get how the Kwans can die and not mention there child. Yes it's a minor detail, and it doesn't impact my thoughts on the finale, but still...

I get the feeling that they tried a fake field goal with this ending but it was not a bad couple of hours. Not that I'm a truly educated Lost fan but I enjoyed it.

Loved the dog laying down next to Jack as he died. Something like he wasn't "alone" anymore.
    It was a good ride while it lasted. Actually, the preview show, reading some of the fan tributes was kind of moving. To see how this show really impacted some people was pretty neat.

- Ben stayed b/c of Alex and Rousseau.
    - Faraday wasn't there. Desmond told Faraday's mother he wouldn't take him with them.
    - Faraday's mother was "enlightened" but didn't want to leave b/c she was in a world where she still had her son.

I'm not sure why the details of Purgatory matter and why certain differences in that world were a problem for some viewers (Jack had a son, etc.). In my mind that world was very Matrix or Dark City like. It was fabricated and wasn't real. When people discovered this, most saw that they were ready to leave. The Losties wanted to do it together.

I think my one lingering question is what the bomb actually did. Did it have anything to do with the sideways world or not?

Quote Originally Posted by A-Tex Devil View Post
    - Sideways world was purgatory, clearly. But it had nothing to do with the island, other than that all the characters were from the island. Right? That's my disappointment. Nothing on the island affected anything in the sideways world (although Desmond's island form's awareness of the sideways world was clear).

- I'll be frank -- there is not a single unanswered question that I care about. Care to convince me otherwise? I'm not saying I can't be, I'm just saying I can't think of any examples.
    Would you feel the same way if there had been no sideways world in season six? The last season could have easily been just the island drama. As you say, there was no significant connection between the island and the sideways world.

It seems to me, the sideways world brings a satisfying conclusion for people primarily invested in the characters. The feel good ending in the sideways world really serves to take attention away from the problems in the story telling.

Quote Originally Posted by JG Nothing View Post
    Would you feel the same way if there had been no sideways world in season six? The last season could have easily been just the island drama. As you say, there was no significant connection between the island and the sideways world.

It seems to me, the sideways world brings a satisfying conclusion for people primarily invested in the characters. The feel good ending in the sideways world really serves to take attention away from the problems in the story telling.
    We'll see. I'd like to read Doc Jensen later today to see if he sees something I didn't. I was disappointed in the sideways reveal only in that its creation seems totally disconnected to the island story. If they were able to specifically tie it to Jughead exploding or something (even with a fantastical explanation), it would make more sense in context.

I thought the island stuff worked great and don't see the storytelling flaws that some did. Sure there are mistakes and inconsistencies remember (120 episodes and internet for us to pick through everything), but the major premise stood in my mind. So, yeah, more island stuff would have been better. But I enjoyed last night.

I thought the island stuff worked great and don't see the storytelling flaws that some did. Sure there are mistakes and inconsistencies remember (120 episodes and internet for us to pick through everything), but the major premise stood in my mind. So, yeah, more island stuff would have been better. But I enjoyed last night.
    I have to agree with this. At the end of the day you have to remember it is a work of fiction that was presented to us through television where sometimes things don't go as planned. If it was a novel where you didn't have working actors to deal with, viewership concerns, how many seasons there are going to be etc., then maybe they don't have so many loose ends.

I enjoyed the conclusion as well. To me the show was more about the characters that I had grown to know and love anyway, so I can deal with a couple of inconsistencies or whatever. I thought it was a good way to end the show and even if you don't think so I would think you would have to admit it could have been much worse.
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

Quote Originally Posted by JG Nothing View Post
    There's feel-good-endings and then there's the happy, sappy, family-reunion, let's-all-go-to-heaven together ending they gave us. Using the sideways purgatory story as the ending does seem like a bit of the easy way out. By claiming that the show was really about the characters and their connection to each other, the producers are avoiding a decent resolution for all of the questions they presented.

I thought Jack defeating Smokey, resetting the light, and dying in the bamboo was all quite satisfying for the end, but I wish that there was more of a connection between the sideways world and the main timeline. Maybe I'm just disappointed because Fringe provided such an entertaining story about alternate realities, whereas Lost wussed out and just turned the sideways story into an excuse for all of the past characters to hug it out in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilHorns View Post
    So... in purgatory you could still have a kid (ie, Jack has a son that doesn't ever exist in real life since in real life he dies on the island).

Bizarre?
    One way to interpret the sideways world is as Jack's dying fantasy. that would explain why the imaginary son.

The finale was a great episode of television. It was well written, well directed, and the acting was truly moving at times. I walked away from the episode feeling good about the series and feeling like I got the "closure" I was looking for, even if it was the easy way out.

That said, I am a bit disappointed that there was not more connectivity between the finale and some of the earlier seasons. I would have like to see a few more plot points come full circle. I would have liked to get some more answers. But I can live with LOST ending like this. It's just a matter of accepting that it didn't end in the way I thought it would for most of the 6 seasons I watched it. I always thought that there were answers to what was being presented, but as it turns out, it was all more for show. I can deal with that, it's just a matter of accepting it.

Ultimately, I was moved by the characters reuniting in the afterlife and I think that has been the point of this 6th season. Of course I have more questions, but I feel better about them going unanswered knowing that the crew moved on together.

Quote Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
    One way to interpret the sideways world is as Jack's dying fantasy. that would explain why the imaginary son.
    I need to think this through some more, but it felt like the entire season was filled with the main characters' passage through purgatory, not just Jack.

In each episode, we saw a glimpse of their journey in purgatory. Characters are forced to face painful memories: Sawyer over the murder of an innocent man and then his deceit to Miles, Kate facing her past as a fugitive, Charlie and addiction, Claire and regret over trying to give up Aaron, while Jack's son serves as a foil for his relationship with his own father.

It is not necessary for the sideways timeline to have any ties to the island, other than what Christian Shephard tells Jack, that these are people who were around you during the most important part of your life.

We see each of the characters purified, except the notables like Ben, Daniel and Eloise, and they're able to move on to another life together by walking into the light. I find comforting to think they'll spend eternity together.

- Ben stayed b/c of Alex and Rousseau.
    - Faraday wasn't there. Desmond told Faraday's mother he wouldn't take him with them.
    - Faraday's mother was "enlightened" but didn't want to leave b/c she was in a world where she still had her son.

I'm not sure why the details of Purgatory matter and why certain differences in that world were a problem for some viewers (Jack had a son, etc.). In my mind that world was very Matrix or Dark City like. It was fabricated and wasn't real. When people discovered this, most saw that they were ready to leave. The Losties wanted to do it together.

I think my one lingering question is what the bomb actually did. Did it have anything to do with the sideways world or not?
    That was my thought as to why Ben stayed, but then I began to second guess that thought. Ben was enlightened -- he understood that his life has already passed and that his existence is essentially suspended in time. As such, the relationship he will try to develop with Alex and Rousseau (and do remember the intimate moment they shared in the kitchen following dinner) should not matter. If the present is not reality for the characters, why would they care to indulge in a fantasy? Doesn't that repudiate enlightenment?

I too liked the ending and enjoyed the ride. I am satisfied with the ending (now that i understand it ) and thought the death of Jack was truly touching.

It was a bittersweet ending last night. I really enjoyed how the final show was put together in that it tied up what needed to be tied up and left plenty of questions in typical Lost fashion. Coming full circle and ending with jack in the bamboo field was perfect. I was was happy that the episode made sense after I chewed on it overnight (and that I needed to think about it long after watching).

However, I also feel like I've just said goodbye to characters I've been intensely following for the better part of this decade. I'm not sure what I'll do without them (it feels very similar to after Duke plays it's last game of the season, I'm happy to have known the players, but very sad that it's over).

Perhaps, it's time to rewatch the 120+ hours of Lost again?
    "Something in my vicinity is Carolina blue and this offends me." - HPR

Quote Originally Posted by northernduke View Post
    That was my thought as to why Ben stayed, but then I began to second guess that thought. Ben was enlightened -- he understood that his life has already passed and that his existence is essentially suspended in time. As such, the relationship he will try to develop with Alex and Rousseau (and do remember the intimate moment they shared in the kitchen following dinner) should not matter. If the present is not reality for the characters, why would they care to indulge in a fantasy? Doesn't that repudiate enlightenment?

I too liked the ending and enjoyed the ride. I am satisfied with the ending (now that i understand it ) and thought the death of Jack was truly touching.
    Ben may have been enlightened, but that doesn't mean he was purified, or ready to move on. As such, I do not think the relationship with Alex and Rousseau is important, they only serve to give him an opportunity to reflect internally. They're not real, they don't exist and that's okay. Ben's existence will be about trying to reconcile his life and existence.