Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Lost: The End

Quote Originally Posted by Duke4Ever32 View Post
    You're not the only one...I need an explanation of what happened in the last 10 minutes. I'm totally confused. They all died in the original crash?? Who was on the plane flying overhead as Jack looked up right at the end??
    That plane was Kate, Sawyer,, Richard, Miles etc leaving the island.

Jack is satisfied because they could leave.

Quote Originally Posted by NYC Duke Fan View Post
    I might have missed something here as I was switching to the Mets-Yankees game, but I thought that Flocke was immune to bullets. How did Kate's bullet kill him?
    After Desmond put the light out both Richard and Flocke lost their special abilities and became human, as Richard's hair was turning grey and Flocke wasn't immune to being shot any longer and was bleeding from the mouth after Jack hit him.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilHorns View Post
    After Jack dislodged the "power source of the island" MIB became mortal (and so did Jack).

At that point he could be killed.

That was Jack's plan (if he had one). Then Jack gave the power to Hurley, and then put the cork back in.

Hurley made Ben his number two (a la Richard for Jacob). Then they all died at different times but all ended up in purgatory, even Hurley and Ben (meaning that they must have passed off the island's power at some point...). Hurley even said to Ben in purgatory that he was a great "number 2."
    I should have kept reading before jumping the gun -- appreciate that someone was able to connect the dots...

Quote Originally Posted by DevilHorns View Post
    After Jack dislodged the "power source of the island" MIB became mortal (and so did Jack).

At that point he could be killed.

That was Jack's plan (if he had one). Then Jack gave the power to Hurley, and then put the cork back in.

Hurley made Ben his number two (a la Richard for Jacob). Then they all died at different times but all ended up in purgatory, even Hurley and Ben (meaning that they must have passed off the island's power at some point...). Hurley even said to Ben in purgatory that he was a great "number 2."
    I'll buy all that. I'm interested in what JE has to say.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by northernduke View Post
    If the island is real, how do Sawyer, Kate and Claire get off and still go to the "light"?!?!
    The entire scene with the light in the church exists in purgatory... meaning at a time that truly doesn't exist, but far enough in the future where everyone at some point has died.

Jack sees the plane leaving off the island right before he dies. All those characters on the plane live a life in the rest of the world until they inevitably die, and ... eventually meet up with Jack and the rest of the crew in purgatory.

My thoughts will probably be clearer in bulletpoint than trying prose. I liked it, even though I was disappointed with the sideways reveal. The drama and the characters so outweighed any plot holes and expectations with the twists or whatever. I thoroughly enjoyed it. A-.

- Sideways world was purgatory, clearly. But it had nothing to do with the island, other than that all the characters were from the island. Right? That's my disappointment. Nothing on the island affected anything in the sideways world (although Desmond's island form's awareness of the sideways world was clear).

- Hurley #1 and Ben #2. Shows that the enlightenment gave them a view of their WHOLE life until the end (as Christian indicated). Inferring that they were the islands protectors for some time.

- Like Ben's touch that Hurley can make his own rules.

- So even though pulling the plug was bad (was that the plug Jacob was talking about in his bottle metaphor?), it turned Flocke human, so it was necessary.

- I'll be frank -- there is not a single unanswered question that I care about. Care to convince me otherwise? I'm not saying I can't be, I'm just saying I can't think of any examples.

Likely more later...

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    I'll buy all that. I'm interested in what JE has to say.
    I buy it too -- now that I get it I like it. I could understand the light was heaven, just lost track of time...no "clean" way to explain a plot that is effectively perpetual (e.g., the island lives on).

Thanks for the clarity!

Kind of weird that Walt never showed up... I thought he would have somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by A-Tex Devil View Post
    - Like Ben's touch that Hurley can make his own rules.
    I missed the touch. Was it after Ben laid the pack under Desmond's head?

So... in purgatory you could still have a kid (ie, Jack has a son that doesn't ever exist in real life since in real life he dies on the island).

Bizarre?

Quote Originally Posted by northernduke View Post
    I missed the touch. Was it after Ben laid the pack under Desmond's head?
    Sorry -- meant it figuratively and wasn't written well. Meant to say that I like the touch put on the end where Hurley can make his own rules.

Anyone else think that Ben was going to kill Hurley somehow or convince him to give up the power after Jack was done transferring it?

I think they could have made Ben show his evil side one more time...

Just re-watched the last 20 minutes with the insights provided by DevilHorns in mind, and...wow, what can I say. For me, this is simply the best television show I have ever watched. I couldn't have asked for more from the ending.
    Last edited by Duke4Ever32; 05-24-2010 at 12:46 AM.

Does anyone know why Richard wasn't in purgatory? Or did I miss something?

Awesome. Especially amazing that I never once heard anyone guess that the flashsideways was purgatory, given how popular that theory was for the island early.

As much as I could have asked for a series finale. So many questions left but so many answered. There was an article today in the New Orleans Times Picyune talking about how this show was more about how we love and how we develop relationships. I felt like this episode realized all of that. All of those people that were "lost" found those that they truly loved in whatever the flash sideways was. I'm not sure that mattered since there was a conclusion for each of them. They found what was lost.

I enjoyed the finale, but it simply showed how forced the whole sixth season was. There was no connection between the side-ways world and the island except some vague sense of self-awareness by Desmond. The show finished with a cast reunion that worked through emotional manipulation and an audience pleasing "all's well that end's well" conclusion. The mythology was a disaster. I am glad to have watched the series because the characters were well developed, but it could have been so much more. If this is all Cuse and Lindenoff had to offer, then I am relieved it is over.

- Faith and Doubt are brothers... their ideals came about from a source that could be considered invalid or wrong, all though the source may have had good intentions. Doubt finds out that what he thought was his source, was really not genuine. Faith seems to have other reasons to keep faith.

- The island did seem to be a place for redemption. There, you had a shot at redeeming yourself. You had a chance to cast out doubt, repent, and find love.

- In order to get rid of doubt, you have to first realize that doubt is nothing but a human perception. You must realize doubt is 'human' to get rid of it.

Maybe doubt isn't the best word to use.
    Last edited by ForeverBlowingBubbles; 05-24-2010 at 01:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    Awesome. Especially amazing that I never once heard anyone guess that the flashsideways was purgatory, given how popular that theory was for the island early.
    There are two reasons why no one guessed purgatory. First, Cuse and Lindelof kept saying the island (and by implication the show) was not about purgatory. Second, we were introduced to the sideways world with the understanding that the island had sunk and, thus, it was some type of alternate timeline.
    Last edited by JG Nothing; 05-24-2010 at 01:27 AM.

Overall a very good finale. They had a ton of loose ends to tie and I think they tied them up better than I expected them to do. All of the little reunions (and the big reunion at the end) were pretty emotional and kind of brought a nice closure to the show.

I was glad to see them show Rose and Bernard 1 last time. Also nice touch w/ Vincent sitting w/ Jack as he died.

So are we supposed to assume that when they "left" the church that they moved on into some sort of afterlife?