Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
I didn't mean to imply that the audience should be blamed for how the story played out. The audience only shares culpability for its own reaction. Specifically, I am talking about those who enjoyed the show along the way, only to be massively disappointed at the ending, and have their prior enjoyment turn to outrage.

It's a "fool once, fool me twice" kind of thing. Sure, Cuse and Lindelof repeatedly promissed big and wonderful things. But after about 3 or 4 seasons, it was pretty clear that they couldn't deliver all that seemed possible after seasons 1 and 2. Expectations should have been downgraded. Grand promises from the writers should have been met with skepticism.
I do see where you're coming from, however it seemed that they did provide some answers along the way, but it was more like give one answer only to have two or three more pop-up. I guess they did a good job of keeping us hooked. At the end of the day that's all they get paid for, which is a sad way to look at your audience and in the future I will remember how both of these individuals treated their fans and I will view any projects they are connected to with extreme prejudice.