MLAX NCAA QF: Duke 17, UNC-CH 9

Saturday
    2:30 pm
    ESPNU

Bracket

A trip to the Final Four on the line...

Let's go, Duke!

And a 9F for good measure!

A lot of Duke-UNC matchups in the NCAA tournaments this year. In case you missed it, Duke's 16th ranked men's tennis destroyed UNC in the second round 4-1, while our women's tennis team takes on #2 UNC in the quarterfinals on Saturday. UNC beat us 4-3 in the last meeting. The men's tennis team lost to #1 UVa in the round of 16, by the way.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    I knew it was getting hot around here for a reason. It's all that heat from the gates of hell opening up...

Hopefully men's lacrosse will find New Jersey as friendly of a place to play as men's basketball has. Go Duke!

Heck, the Daily Tar Heel likes to call us "the University of South Jersey." So I think we neeed to show up with some home field advantage folks! Get out there Saturday afternoon to support our Devils Lax squad! It's a little too far for me, but if they win this and make the Final-4 I'll certainly be in Baltimore next weekend! Go Devils!! Fingers crossed.

watch online

man. i thought this would be on espn3.com as well as on espnu. can't find it on justin tv. anyone know if i can watch it somewhere online, or at least listen online?

First Quarter:
    Duke 2
    UNC 2

Carolina is dominating the faceoffs (4-1) but our D has held up...cmon guys.
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

Halftime: Duke 9, UNC 6.

Duke switched goalies already (the starter let up a really awful soft goal), and really went on a run after a certain point by winning a bunch of faceoffs in a row.

Precarious situation. If Duke can bring back its first quarter defense, they should be better. But otherwise, still anyone's game though we have a 3 goal head start.

Carolina Delenda Est

End 3rd Quarter, 12-8 Duke...with about 1:20 or so left on a power play to start the 4th quarter.

Carolina Delenda Est

Duke is up 12-8 entering the 4th quarter

I missed the explanation of our goalie situation. Looks like we only have 2 saves in the entire game, and that carolina scored on a pass and on really long shot as the half ended. Our freshman walk on was pulled and the freshman that was yanked earlier in the season is back in.

Did we lose an upperclassman who was a goalie?

16-8 now with 7 to play...should be over.

Re the goalie situation; i think we had a freshman starter all year but switched after a bad ACC Tourny performance to the walk on. He was pulled today after letting them score on what was basically a pass that was really soft.

Just an awful goal. (The goal at the end of the half by Carolina was scored on the freshman goalie, not the walk-on who started the game.)

Carolina Delenda Est

Final

FINAL SCORE: Duke 17, UNC 9.

Duke advances to the Final Four AGAIN.
    UNC....goes home crying.

Just how i like it.

Carolina Delenda Est

Quote Originally Posted by loran16 View Post
    16-8 now with 7 to play...should be over.

Re the goalie situation; i think we had a freshman starter all year but switched after a bad ACC Tourny performance to the walk on. He was pulled today after letting them score on what was basically a pass that was really soft.

Just an awful goal. (The goal at the end of the half by Carolina was scored on the freshman goalie, not the walk-on who started the game.)
    Thanks for the update on the goalies. It is one of the toughest positions, and the easiest to second guess. Still, it is surprising that a team so highly ranked has such a low save percentage.

It is a testament to our defense that carolina can score on every shot and still be down by eight. carolina just can't get shots off. Our defensemen seem FASTER than carolina's attackmen.

Duke is a really well coached team.

Sean Brady was supposed to be the goalie. He was a redshirt sophomore. He was kicked out of school at the start of the spring semester. So instead we went with a freshman (Wigrizer) who is on scholly, but expected to be a backup. He got pulled against UVA in the ACC, replaced by Mike Rock, a junior walkon. Rock started today, got pulled in favor of Wigrizer. Rock looked particularly soft today, not like last week when he played well against Hopkins. Who plays next week is anyone's guess, but whoever it is, had better make saves or we will be toast.

On the other hand, if we can win face-offs as we did the today and last week, we can play anyone in goal. Great offensive and defensive performance today. Hopefully this year's team can get over the hump.
    Last edited by buddy; 05-22-2010 at 05:13 PM. Reason: change "junior" to "sophomore"

In the Words of the Late, Great Lowell George

"Right on through to Baltimore,
    You got to love me now."

Who's going on Saturday?

Lightbulb 3 saves vs. Hop and 5 vs. Holes= if a trend then a very difficult game in the semi

Quote Originally Posted by buddy View Post
    Sean Brady was supposed to be the goalie. He was a redshirt sophomore. He was kicked out of school at the start of the spring semester. So instead we went with a freshman (Wigrizer) who is on scholly, but expected to be a backup. He got pulled against UVA in the ACC, replaced by Mike Rock, a junior walkon. Rock started today, got pulled in favor of Wigrizer. Rock looked particularly soft today, not like last week when he played well against Hopkins. Who plays next week is anyone's guess, but whoever it is, had better make saves or we will be toast.

On the other hand, if we can win face-offs as we did the today and last week, we can play anyone in goal. Great offensive and defensive performance today. Hopefully this year's team can get over the hump.
    A high face-off percentage helps; however, UVA and StoneyB have great penetrators (UNC did not) who will beat our defenders. We had 3 saves against Hop and 5 today. That will not cut it in the semi-game--unless we max out possessions and shoot lights out. If we can get 45%-50% saves ,we can dominate.
    Our goalies need to step up because we can win the damned trophy this year!

Best regards and congrats, Devils! Blueprofessor

ESPN Video Recap

ESPN has a nice video recap up of the Duke and ND wins.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=5210963

We looked good. This teamm seems to be surging at the right time. Let's keep the mo rolling Sat in Baltimore. Terrific to see them playing with such confidence. No reason we can't win it all... Rooting for the underdogs tomorrow, as I'd rather not have to play the 1-seed team again. Interestingly, if the Wahoos go down, then Duke enters the Final Four as the highest seeded team rermaining.

P.S. Was pretty surprised to see MD lose to an inferior ND squad. Not bummed, but just surprised for them not to show up better in the NCAA quarters...

Crotty is the Tewaartan winner this year. You read it here first sportsfans. He does so much for this team, and does them exceptionally well.

Duke's ground ball play was exceptional; not just the long sticks near the mid field and in the defensive end, but the shorts to maintain possession. Very impressive.

Duke likes you to shoot alot. Virginia I'm sure will oblige. Assuming it gets by Virginia, yes I'm assuming a win here against Stoneybrook, whomever Duke gets after that will not oblige. They, either Army, Notre Dame or Cornell, will play in the half court, will shoot on goal only when the chances are good and there is no chance of transition, and will defend in the half court in a manner that Duke is not accustomed to. Should be very interesting, but even if Duke goes out next game, Crotty, in my mind, has earned the highest award in the game.