Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Where and when will Jon Scheyer get drafted?

I have looked at a couple of mock drafts and he has been anywhere from mid second round to undrafted. I think he could be a solid role player in the NBA and I think that he would be a good player for any team to have because he plays so smart. It would be a mistake for no team to pick him up. Plus he is 6-5 and with some work could get pg down, and even if he doesn't his shooting abilities will work fine for him as a sg. Also he clearly knows how to win after four years at duke.

www.nbadraft.net/2010_mockdraft

www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2010/
    This one didn't have Scheyer but it does have Zoubek going to the Pacers

www.mynbadraft.com/2010-NBA-Mock-Draft
    Another one without Scheyer but with Zoubek at 51.

I really hope Zoubs doesn't have to deal with Tyler Hansblow on the Pacers

he will be united with his old friend Josh McRoberts on the bench.

Jay Bilas was on Bill Simmons' podcast yesterday and said he felt it might work in Scheyer's favor to go undrafted, so that he can choose which teams to try out for and look for a good situation for him. Kind of like what DeMarcus Nelson did, but hopefully he's be able to stay in the league longer.

IMO it is essential for him to land on the right team, because if he doesn't get an opportunity to show he can play then he will likely never make it in the NBA. Hopefully someone who recognizes his abilities will give him a shot!

exactly

I think going undrafted is his best option.

I have a feeling he'll make it on to a team. A friend of mine made a bet during Jon's sophomore year that he would make it to the league and score at least 500 points in his career. If he wins, he gets a trip to Paris with his family and a night out at a restaurant of his choosing. And when I say sophomore, I mean high school. Could be a long time before he collects his winnings, but this guy has a way of predicting the future correctly.

I know their games aren't all that similar, but you have to be encouraged by Redick's progression. Jon is deceptively good on defense and takes care of the ball and makes good decisions. I think he's a pretty good back up guard option for the right team.

Quote Originally Posted by kong123 View Post
    he will be united with his old friend Josh McRoberts on the bench.
    He will relegate HansWhoa! To the bench if he can recover from his inner ear infection.

Quote Originally Posted by airowe View Post
    He will relegate HansWhoa! To the bench if he can recover from his inner ear infection.
    No worries about and that inner ear infection. We all know that fights inner ear infections with more intensity than anyone in the history of inner ear infections. His immune system brings it, relentlessly, EVERY...SINGLE...DAY!

I've seen a couple mock drafts that have Scheyer going to the Lakers with the 2nd to last pick. I think this would be a great situation for him

First, they Lakers run the triangle offense, so they do not a natural PG to create shots for others. They really need a smart player and a spot up shooter. The triangle system is a complex offense, but this fits everything Scheyer is good at. Look at Fisher and compare him to Scheyer. Great spot up shooters. Decent drivers. Not your typical PG. Known for hitting big shots.

Second, he would have a chance to prove himself. Fisher is getting old and Farmar and Shannon Brown are very, very inconsistent. Scheyer could come in and gain some minutes right away. And if the Lakers decide not to bring back any of those 3 players next year (Farmar, Fisher, and Brown will be FA), that's more playing time for Scheyer

Quote Originally Posted by DukieBoy View Post
    I've seen a couple mock drafts that have Scheyer going to the Lakers with the 2nd to last pick. I think this would be a great situation for him

First, they Lakers run the triangle offense, so they do not a natural PG to create shots for others. They really need a smart player and a spot up shooter. The triangle system is a complex offense, but this fits everything Scheyer is good at. Look at Fisher and compare him to Scheyer. Great spot up shooters. Decent drivers. Not your typical PG. Known for hitting big shots.

Second, he would have a chance to prove himself. Fisher is getting old and Farmar and Shannon Brown are very, very inconsistent. Scheyer could come in and gain some minutes right away. And if the Lakers decide not to bring back any of those 3 players next year (Farmar, Fisher, and Brown will be FA), that's more playing time for Scheyer

I agree with this 100%. Phil Jackson typically likes taller guards so Jon may be what he is looking for...that is if Phil is still there.

10. http://twitter.com/chadfordinsider/status/14379015690

"Two most surprising no shows Quincy Pondexter & Jon Scheyer. Scheyer has an excuse. He has mono per his agent."
    Last edited by TheBrianZoubekExperience; 05-20-2010 at 03:24 PM. Reason: added quotation marks

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBrianZoubekExperience View Post
    http://twitter.com/chadfordinsider/status/14379015690

"Two most surprising no shows Quincy Pondexter & Jon Scheyer. Scheyer has an excuse. He has mono per his agent."
    Thank you Jon, for waiting until after the season to get sick!
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I see jon being a late second round pick, but i can see the team that gets him will be very lucky! The kid is like having a coach on the floor! He has a very smart basketball IQ, can run the point,Very good outside shooter,good passer. I wouldnt mind seeing him with the Lakeshow if thats where he falls..

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrianZoubekExperience View Post
    http://twitter.com/chadfordinsider/status/14379015690

Is it OK to say THANK GOD HE WAITED UNTIL MAY TO GET MONO?!?!?!?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by DukieBoy View Post

It's probably safe to say that if the Lakers got Scheyer, they would be the only NBA team with two Jewish players, both guards/point guards. To which I would say, Mazel tov! I hope they bring you lots of nachas (not to be confused with nachos, my friends)!

Is it me or is does the draft feel really lackluster this year in terms of players that will make a long-lasting impact on the NBA years to come? J. Wall will be good, but would anyone put his skills above current players like Rondo or D. Rose? Probably too early to tell but I doubt it.

That being said, it's good to see E-Will projected in the first round.

Lakers would be a great opportunity for Scheyer. Too bad about his illness.

"I once thought I had mono for an entire year. It turned out I was just really bored." -Wayne Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by AZLA View Post
    Is it me or is does the draft feel really lackluster this year in terms of players that will make a long-lasting impact on the NBA years to come? J. Wall will be good, but would anyone put his skills above current players like Rondo or D. Rose? Probably too early to tell but I doubt it.

That being said, it's good to see E-Will projected in the first round.

Lakers would be a great opportunity for Scheyer. Too bad about his illness.

"I once thought I had mono for an entire year. It turned out I was just really bored." -Wayne Campbell
    Yes, I would put his current play and potential about D. Rose.

Quote Originally Posted by AZLA View Post
    Well, to be fair, you're comparing him to two of the very best young players in the NBA at their positions. I'd say Rose and Rondo are on the very short list of great PGs in the league right now. So to discuss Wall in their category is pretty complimentary, if you ask me.

After the top 2-3, I think the "star-power" is debatable. But you just never know until you see these guys play.

I would love for Jon to get a shot in the Show, as I think he's the type of player that makes others better, while being pretty good himself. Battier is this type of player too and gets pooh-pahed for his lack of blazing athleticism etc, but he's considered a very valuable player, and not just in $$$. Jon may not be as good as Battier (he may be just as good though) but I think he'll play in the NBA.

It's really hard to say if he'll make it or not. I think going undrafted will probably help him so he can choose his team and find one he can make. Remember, if he gets picked, it would be late in the 2nd round, which would put him on a good team, one he probably wouldn't make anyway. I think
    he also needs to find the right coach who believes in him and will give him a shot.

20. Hollinger's ESPN statistical draft ratings came out today. Big Z and Scheyer faired pretty well.