NCAA Rules: Student-Athletes and Earning

I didn't realize this was true: A division one student athlete can only earn $2000 in a year or risk losing scholarship?

http://www.newjerseynewsroom.com/pro...udent-athletes

As a waiter and a medical research intern between my Junior and Senior years, I think I made something like $5000 or more, just in the summer.

The rules are so stacked against these kids (despite the obvious blessings they enjoy as student athletes) that it makes the temptation of the black market hard to resist. From an ethics standpoint, the rules seem so unethical that breaking them can seem fairer than following them.

Am I missing something? I don't think we need full market rate payment to the "entertainers" of our billion dollar Div-1 industry, but at least give these kids a chance to make some money honestly. The children that go to camps go to see their school heroes. The heroes should get some of that honest value. $2000 is a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by ElSid View Post
    I didn't realize this was true: A division one student athlete can only earn $2000 in a year or risk losing scholarship?

http://www.newjerseynewsroom.com/pro...udent-athletes

As a waiter and a medical research intern between my Junior and Senior years, I think I made something like $5000 or more, just in the summer.

The rules are so stacked against these kids (despite the obvious blessings they enjoy as student athletes) that it makes the temptation of the black market hard to resist. From an ethics standpoint, the rules seem so unethical that breaking them can seem fairer than following them.

Am I missing something? I don't think we need full market rate payment to the "entertainers" of our billion dollar Div-1 industry, but at least give these kids a chance to make some money honestly. The children that go to camps go to see their school heroes. The heroes should get some of that honest value. $2000 is a joke.
    i agree

i'm gonna guess that this one was put on the books years ago when college cost much less, i think a more proper dollar value today would be like 20k

but anyway, it screws athletes, and not just bigtime ones...in fact it screws the random ncaa swimmer looking to be an engineer more

because that type of student depends on a third year internship to get them a job once they graduate...

for instance i'm on tap to make 12k in my internship this summer....couldn't do that if i was an athlete apparently
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    i agree

i'm gonna guess that this one was put on the books years ago when college cost much less, i think a more proper dollar value today would be like 20k

but anyway, it screws athletes, and not just bigtime ones...in fact it screws the random ncaa swimmer looking to be an engineer more

because that type of student depends on a third year internship to get them a job once they graduate...

for instance i'm on tap to make 12k in my internship this summer....couldn't do that if i was an athlete apparently
    An engineer doesn't NEED an internship to get a job after college. Myself and plenty of my friends all graduated and got jobs without internships. Plus, there's nothing that says you can't work an internship. You just don't get paid. I believe that Joy Cheek did a DC internship this past summer.