Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post

Anyway, the Grouse opines that the Wiz should draft Wall, keep Arenas,
    sagegrouse
    You'd have a real run and gun offense.

Quote Originally Posted by allenmurray View Post
    You'd have a real run and gun offense.
    Now, this took me a bit, age I suppose, but is really quite funny. Just tell Gilbert how many you need, right.

Arenas would have to be swapped for another bad contract. That's they only way he is remotely movable. But this league is full of bad contracts (Brand, Dalembert, Igoudala just to name 3 on the 76ers). So there's possibilities.

Wall is absolutely going to be in DC next year though.

People seem very high on Favors. He reminds me of Bosh and could be a 20 and 12 guy within 2-3 years. Hope he does not fall far.

I'm a little surprised Ed Davis is slipping below Aminu and Monroe though. Both those guys are skilled offensively but not great (see Lamar Odom). But Davis will eventually give you 10 boards and 3 blocks a game whil getting stick backs and dunks on the offensive end. I think he's going to be good and he has the frame to go 260 lbs.

Does Evan Turner remind anyone of Scottie Pippen or Brandon Roy?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Pappa View Post
    I agree with everything you said except for the bolded part. They do need an outside shooter but Turner really doesn't fill that role. In three years at Ohio State he only made 54 three pointers (and that's from the college line). Just to put that in perspective, there were 30 guys in NCAA DI basketball that hit over 90 last year alone, including Scheyer who hit 94.
    In that case, might as well go with Cousins. They won't solve their perimeter issues in this draft.
    "Just be you. You is Enough."

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    Arenas would have to be swapped for another bad contract. That's they only way he is remotely movable. But this league is full of bad contracts (Brand, Dalembert, Igoudala just to name 3 on the 76ers). So there's possibilities.

Wall is absolutely going to be in DC next year though.

People seem very high on Favors. He reminds me of Bosh and could be a 20 and 12 guy within 2-3 years. Hope he does not fall far.

I'm a little surprised Ed Davis is slipping below Aminu and Monroe though. Both those guys are skilled offensively but not great (see Lamar Odom). But Davis will eventually give you 10 boards and 3 blocks a game whil getting stick backs and dunks on the offensive end. I think he's going to be good and he has the frame to go 260 lbs.

On my board, Wall is #1 and Cousins is #2. But I no longer watch the NBA religiously like the old days so what do I know? But I do watch it enough to know that whoever ends up with Ed Davis is going to be really disappointed.

I predict Davis will be the biggest bust since Brandon Wright. He is too small, and lacks any kind of offensive game beyond a dunk or close range layup. Did he hit a shot outside of 5 feet in college? Heck, did he even take a shot outside of 5 feet? I just don't see it.

Some of you NBA guru's could enlighten me if I am off base here, but I just don't see Davis having a lot of success in the NBA unless he just simply has not shown us his real skill set yet. His attitude isn't the greatest either. One of my close friends is a huge Unc fan and he swears Davis was the cancer in the locker room this year. It's possible I guess. His words, not mine.

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Boozer View Post
    On my board, Wall is #1 and Cousins is #2. But I no longer watch the NBA religiously like the old days so what do I know? But I do watch it enough to know that whoever ends up with Ed Davis is going to be really disappointed.

I predict Davis will be the biggest bust since Brandon Wright. He is too small, and lacks any kind of offensive game beyond a dunk or close range layup. Did he hit a shot outside of 5 feet in college? Heck, did he even take a shot outside of 5 feet? I just don't see it.

Some of you NBA guru's could enlighten me if I am off base here, but I just don't see Davis having a lot of success in the NBA unless he just simply has not shown us his real skill set yet. His attitude isn't the greatest either. One of my close friends is a huge Unc fan and he swears Davis was the cancer in the locker room this year. It's possible I guess. His words, not mine.

Thoughts?
    I actually think Davis has a pretty good offensive game. It needs refinement of course but he's shown a drop step and a jump hook plus he's got very good feet and excellent lift. The biggest question mark is his frame. Will he put on weight or will he struggle as a finesse post player? This has been part of Wright's problem. But I believe he'll be more successful than Wright primarily because he has good defensive instincts and blocks shots.

Between Brandan Wright, Marvin Williams, and Ed Davis - I think Ed looks the most promising.
    "Just be you. You is Enough."

Obviously Wall is the real deal and a lock for number 1, huge upside, he's the next Dwayne Wade imo. I'm not terribly high on Evan Turner, his game seems maxed out and I don't think he can stroke it or handle the rock well enough.

Favors is an intriguing prospect, he has the body and athleticism to be a freak show in the NBA, the dude has all the tools but he needs to be more aggressive at the next level. Watching him against Duke this year, Favors wasn't as dominant as he could have been.

I'm really high on Xavier Henry, he's young, has a silky stroke, good size for a SG, and plays with a calm swagger. I think he's gunna be a terrific player in the future. I like Cousins a lot too, granted he's got attitude but I kinda like that he plays pissed off (). Cousins needs to trim up a bit, he kind of reminds me of Bynum.

Regardless of how all these players perform over an extended period of time, I'm pretty confident it will at least go #1 Wall, #2 Turner.

Turner is good. I really doubt he's maxed out. League guys value both tourney success and player of the year type awards, which Turner almost swept. The guy is good at basketball. He can get better. Especially at shooting.

I think he brings some maturity, stability, competitive fire. This also matters. Here's a long article about some of that:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...18/draft.camp/

A lot of Myers-Briggs looking stuff. Not every team uses this and who knows if it's actually effective. Trying to get a true read on the player. All indications are that Turner is rock solid as a person and has been an overachiever.

It's a good profile. I'd say 90% probability he goes 2nd. I think he'll be a decent, relatively risk free player. Known entity. The others immediately after him, not as much. More upside, maybe. But upside is like "PVGO" back in the internet bubble. Who really knows what it means.

9. Measurements

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-draft-measurements/

Posting before really going through them. Favors measured out better than I expected. Scheyer measures pretty well but not great wingspan. Will Edit as I go through but wanted to post the link.

Smile Scheyer Wins JJ Redick Penguin Award!!

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrianZoubekExperience View Post

Posting before really going through them. Favors measured out better than I expected. Scheyer measures pretty well but not great wingspan. Will Edit as I go through but wanted to post the link.
    For having the lowest ratio of wingspan to height. Jon measured out as 6-4.75 in height with a wingspan of 6-3.25. The only other player with a shorter wingspan than height was Ryan Wittman, but his difference was less.

JJ was 6-4 with a wingspan of 6-3.25.

sagegrouse

According to this post, the sixers may be shopping #2 pick:

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/pos...ping-no-2-pick

The price: take Elton Brand off their hands...Elton is due $51 million over the next 3 seasons.

I would prefer to see the sixers hold on to the pick and Elton...

i still think cousins is the best in the draft...

here's andy katz article about it:

• More than any other player, Kentucky's DeMarcus Cousins has had to answer questions about his attitude and whether he's coachable. The stigma attached to him is something he continually has to fight as he goes through the interview process. But all the NBA personnel I spoke with said he is unquestionably the most impressive big man in the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    i still think cousins is the best in the draft...

here's andy katz article about it:

• More than any other player, Kentucky's DeMarcus Cousins has had to answer questions about his attitude and whether he's coachable. The stigma attached to him is something he continually has to fight as he goes through the interview process. But all the NBA personnel I spoke with said he is unquestionably the most impressive big man in the draft.
    I would agree about Cousins' abilities, the issue lies with the first sentence: is he a head case and if so, is it curable? No one wants the headache and potential locker room cancer.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post

The price: take Elton Brand off their hands...Elton is due $51 million over the next 3 seasons.

I don't know, it might be nice to see Brand get a fresh start. The coaching change in Phillie could make a difference but in the few games I watched Brand's struggle seemed to be as much about style of play as his ability. I know that he probably won't ever get back to the level of play he had prior to the injury but I think he is still capable of be a good PF.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post

So a team could pony up and get Cousins, and Elton to mentor him. Sounds like something some team not worried about the luxury tax should do.

I wish it would be the Pistons, they have the seventh pick and some good, veteran tradable assets with reasonable salaries (Prince, Hamilton). Maybe they could dump Villanueva into the deal. Problem is, the Pistons are up for sale, and big contracts might lower the sale price.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    I would agree about Cousins' abilities, the issue lies with the first sentence: is he a head case and if so, is it curable? No one wants the headache and potential locker room cancer.
    i totally agree, and i was all about predicting that he would melt down and cause UK great pain at some point....i think he somehow reasoned within himself that it wasn't his fault he had to play a year of college ball..

admittedly, he was pretty awesome down the end stretch and kept the ego intact...

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    i totally agree, and i was all about predicting that he would melt down and cause UK great pain at some point....i think he somehow reasoned within himself that it wasn't his fault he had to play a year of college ball..

admittedly, he was pretty awesome down the end stretch and kept the ego intact...
    I agree with what you say. That said, the next level has an entirely different set of challenges and, inevitable for a rookie, failures. How will he respond there. Everybody will be at least as good as he is - by native talent or experience. That will be the real test for his head.

18. I don't think the Sixers can get rid of Brand in a deal. I think its certainly possible the move the pick. Its been mentioned before but Minny wants Turner and has the picks to move up. I think the Sixers should at least try to get Minny's 4, 16 and 23rd pick. I think there a gap after the top four picks (not a Wes Johnson fan) and the Sixers would be smart to pick up two additional picks and land either Cousins or Favors. Then the Sixers could try to move up from 16 using the 23rd pick and/or their early second round pick. Could use that pick to nab someone like Xavier Henry or Avery Bradley. I'd prefer a Favors/Cousins and Henry Bradley to Evan Turner. I suppose they could also try to move back into the lottery if they had those picks and just take BPA even if its another PF since Dalembert and Brand are not the future and Speights/Jason Smith aren't sure starters (though I do really like Speights). I'm not sure Minny would give that much up and would probably try to just give up the 16th pick and their 4th pick but I think if they're willing to give up both the 16th and 23rd its a deal the Sixers should make and still land one of the top 4 guys plus another strong piece.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrianZoubekExperience View Post

Hayward's measurements weren't great - under 6'7, and only a 6'8 wingspan. I thought he'd be a lot longer.

Wall has almost a 6'10 wingspan. Bledsoe's is almost 6'8!

There a lot of legitimate center prospects in this draft. Some quite impressive standing reaches. I wish Zoubek had gone just so we'd know exactly what his measurements are. These things are always interesting to me.

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    John Thompson thinks so and would take him over Wall, or at least said so with qualification. The qualification, it ain't his money and he don't get to know everything that the team does and what goes into the decision other than straight up who one thinks is the best player.

So, you're in pretty good company. I have to say, I was all over Roy when he came out; couldn't believe that Atlanta missed on taking him (my boy Belkin still had a fighting chance in owning the team then and I was plugged into what they were doing by following things on the ajc.com.

Have not seen Turner play all that much but I do not think that he is Brandon Roy or Pippen. Roy to me is more natural and quick yet temperate in his decision-making and execution; he's like Scheyer in that regard, playing to his own tempo while seeing and feeling all other tempos. I don't see that in Turner. Pippen was a freakin genuis at the game; one of the smartest players ever, in my opinion, especially when placed in an extraordinary basketball body.

I really think that the guy would make a terrific coach. Terrific. I think that he was smarter about the game than MJ, which was the only reason that they were able to share the court so well together. To compare Turner with Pippen, nope!