Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

NBA Draft Discussion: Wizards #1

The lottery just ended tonight, and the Wizards wound up with the number one pick! The 76ers grabbed number two. Both teams moved up significantly in the draft.

The New Jersey Nets, with 25% chance to win the number one, dropped to number three.

This has to be a glimmer of hope and some positive Karma for the Wizards fans who endured this dismal last season. And another bonus, Jordan wont be able to select the next Kwame Brown! The ghost of Abe Polin strikes back!

Here is the list of the lottery portion of the draft:
    1. Washington Wizards
    2. Philadelphia 76ers
    3. New Jersey Nets
    4. Minnesota Timberwolves
    5. Sacramento Kings
    6. Golden State Warriors
    7. Detroit Pistons
    8. Los Angeles Clippers
    9. Utah Jazz
    10. Indiana Pacers
    11. New Orleans Hornets
    12. Memphis Grizzlies
    13. Toronto Raptors
    14. Houston Rockets

all the talk is that Wall is back to being the #1 pick. Seems to me that in the tourney many were saying Turner had eclipsed him. What has happened since then to change this?

Many familiar faces in that first 14.

Does anyone think that LeBron hurt his attractiveness through his play in his last 3 games? Will it just be attributed to injury? Is there something missing - leadership? Drive?

Will Wall and Arenas play together?

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    all the talk is that Wall is back to being the #1 pick. Seems to me that in the tourney many were saying Turner had eclipsed him. What has happened since then to change this?

Many familiar faces in that first 14.

Does anyone think that LeBron hurt his attractiveness through his play in his last 3 games? Will it just be attributed to injury? Is there something missing - leadership? Drive?
    Turner was never going to go over Wall.

LeBron won the MVP and definitely didn't hurt his attractiveness... he hurt his elbow. LeBron would be smart to get out of Cleveland and get some new faces around him.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by Huh? View Post
    Nope. Which is why Agent 1 just left the building. He has played his last game as a Wizard imo. This is the perfect excuse for them to send him on his way.

Wink Real Question

Quote Originally Posted by Huh? View Post
    Will Arenas ever be more than a shadow of his former self?

sagegrouse

Quote Originally Posted by Boozer View Post
    Nope. Which is why Agent 1 just left the building. He has played his last game as a Wizard imo. This is the perfect excuse for them to send him on his way.
    The Wiz have to get rid of Arenas and start over with Wall. The Nationals were in the same position last year with Strasburg. They HAVE to take the best player and potential PG savior instead of letting Arenas hold them hostage. If they don't, they risk losing their fan base.

IMO this takes the Nets to the back of the line (if not out of the running) for landing Lebron. He is buds with Wall and I think he really wanted to play with him. If they weren't already, this makes Chi-town with Rose the favorites.

Quote Originally Posted by Boozer View Post
    To where? They declined to void his contract and so he's virtually untradeable.

Wow, what a lottery for the I-95 corridor.

Arenas will not be a shadow of his former self, not close to a shadow. He will probably be in DC, however, which means that if I were running LeBulletz, and let's hope it ain't Ernie when the time to chose comes, I move the number one to the Nets, and take either the kid from Georga Tech or Cousins, perhaps even the big out of Kansas.

I would not take Wall. I cannot say this enough but I definitely, absolutely, would not take Wall--I trade down, definitely, and assuming I want to sign a rookie for salary reasons, not to mention to have him around awhile, I take one of the bigs available. The Nets would have to give up much more than the 3 to get the one-pick. I am not sure what that would be, perhaps a one next year and a protected one the year after. Why the heavy price? With Wall and a coach they might be in the running for LeBron.

Wall, especially if he plays in DC, will in my opinion get creamed and go down with an injury, how serious, anybody's guess. But, given how little they have, he would be the proverbial duck in the barrell and in my opinion Leonsis ain't gonna sign him to put on no carnival.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by greybeard View Post
    Arenas will not be a shadow of his former self, not close to a shadow. He will probably be in DC, however, which means that if I were running LeBulletz, and let's hope it ain't Ernie when the time to chose comes, I move the number one to the Nets, and take either the kid from Georga Tech or Cousins, perhaps even the big out of Kansas.

I would not take Wall. I cannot say this enough but I definitely, absolutely, would not take Wall--I trade down, definitely, and assuming I want to sign a rookie for salary reasons, not to mention to have him around awhile, I take one of the bigs available. The Nets would have to give up much more than the 3 to get the one-pick. I am not sure what that would be, perhaps a one next year and a protected one the year after. Why the heavy price? With Wall and a coach they might be in the running for LeBron.

Wall, especially if he plays in DC, will in my opinion get creamed and go down with an injury, how serious, anybody's guess. But, given how little they have, he would be the proverbial duck in the barrell and in my opinion Leonsis ain't gonna sign him to put on no carnival.
    Just out of curiousity, would you not take Wall because Arenas can't be moved? Because your argument for trade makes a lot of sense there. But if you would not take Wall no matter which team went first, I can't go with you on that one.

Wall is the real deal. I have no doubt about that. I don't worry about the injury part. He is a tough kid. He will learn when he can venture into the lane and when not too. But I do think he is a star in the making. If he ever gets a consistent jumper he will be close to unguardable.

13. Agree with Big Pappa that this probably eliminates Lebron to Nets talk. I actually think Favors is a good fit there but I do think they would have been more attractive to Lebron with Wall.

I don't think Arenas is ever back to his prime but I don't see why he couldn't play with wall as a SG. Sure, they both dominate the ball but Gilbert is a good shooter for Wall to kick out to and Wall provides enough size and athleticism to play next to Gilbert. If they can get something good for Arenas, then sure I'd trade him but I don't see why they couldn't play together as a backcourt.

I don't think Turner ever really passed Wall. He had a great year and its boring to keep saying Wall will go number one so there was some talk of him going number one but not really in recent weeks. Plus, Wall is going to shine in workouts a lot more than Turner IMO. I don't think theres any way Wall goes number 2.

The Nets trading up for Wall would be interesting but I don't think it happens. With Wall as a pretty much consensus pick and possible star, I don't see the Wiz passing on that.

Very interested to see what Minny does. They are supposedly down on Cousins so not sure what they do. They have to be bummed they didn't land at top 3 pick.

I actually don't think that the Nets are that hurt by this draft. They have the opportunity to draft Favors or Cousins to form a formidable front-court with Brook Lopez! Also, the 76ers are guard heavy, so if there is a chance they wont take Turner...giving the Nets a shot at him at the #3. I mean, they already have a good point guard...is Wall going to be better than Harris? In the long run, certainly, but for the next 2-3 years its probably a scratch.

Also, don't be surprised if we see some European players start to sign with the Nets. The new owner talked about building a global brand.

cousins might be the better pick...

The wizards have a ton of depth at guard. Including four point guards?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/teams/roster?team=was

Still, I think they gotta take Wall.

17. Quote Originally Posted by greybeard View Post

I would not take Wall. I cannot say this enough but I definitely, absolutely, would not take Wall--I trade down, definitely, and assuming I want to sign a rookie for salary reasons, not to mention to have him around awhile, I take one of the bigs available.
    So do you just think his value is too high and you can get a better package by trading or do you just really not think Wall will be a good pro? If you couldn't trade the number one pick and had to pick at number one, how many/which guys would you take over Wall?

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    cousins might be the better pick...
    IMO, Cousins is the riskiest pick in this draft. He dominated in college because he was bigger than everybody else. That won't be the case in the NBA. Favors, while not dominant in ACC play, at least has upper level athleticism. Cousins doesn't. Plus, the kid is already a bit pudgy at 19. What's he going to look like at 24-26 after a couple million dollar contracts? I'd stay away from Demarcus Cousins.

There are no indispensable players on the Wizards. Because of that, you draft Wall, the best player with the most potential in the draft.

19. Quote Originally Posted by ElSid View Post
    The wizards have a ton of depth at guard. Including four point guards?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/teams/roster?team=was

Still, I think they gotta take Wall.
    Well, I don't really think they have much depth there. Looking at that roster:

Boykins is 33, 5'5 and pretty much a career backup anyway. Livingston has had major problems since his knee injury. Arenas has obviously had his problems. And Crittendon might not be in the NBA next year. But yeah, I agree that they probably take Wall.

Wall and Arenas

I think they can play together. I would hope Arenas would come in a little humbled by the last 10 months and would be willing to play off the ball. Wall is 6-4 with a long wingspan, enough to guard the 2 in the NBA. He can also create on offense, thus taking a lot of pressure off of Arenas to dominate the ball.

This may mean that Arenas role will shift a little more to jump shooting. But with his knee, that may be where he is most useful anyway.

As a Wizard fan, this good news is very welcome amidst a dreary season (nba only). Perhaps I'm being overly optimistic, but this seems like it could work.