Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Andre Dawkins

Andre Dawkins

He is truly one of my favorite players on the Duke team, and certainly one of the guys that has the most potential on this team to be an impact player on this team. Some things I want some thoughts about

- His lack of bulk.. He seems to be extremely thin and does not have the bulk which is sorta necessary to be able to cover big 3's and smaller 4's. I see this as a need this offseason in order to be able to compete on the defensive end more affectively.

- What role do you think he will be used in? I think he will be the primary backup at the 3, sometime at the 2 and get some big minutes at both, if not start a couple games if Coach put Singler at the power forward spot.

What do you think his ceiling is this year and in future years? I think he has the talent/ ability to be a middle of the first round pick or high lottery depending on how he does from here on out of course, but that's how I feel of him of right now.. Could change either way.

I think Andre coming in a year early and the minutes that he has given he did pretty well. I think he has a very good jumper but i would like to see him take it to the rack a little more. He Will be good for us coming of the bench and giving us a spark on offense. He needs to Get better on the defensive side to earn more minutes though..

Quote Originally Posted by Osiagledknarf View Post
    He is truly one of my favorite players on the Duke team, and certainly one of the guys that has the most potential on this team to be an impact player on this team. Some things I want some thoughts about

- His lack of bulk.. He seems to be extremely thin and does not have the bulk which is sorta necessary to be able to cover big 3's and smaller 4's. I see this as a need this offseason in order to be able to compete on the defensive end more affectively.

- What role do you think he will be used in? I think he will be the primary backup at the 3, sometime at the 2 and get some big minutes at both, if not start a couple games if Coach put Singler at the power forward spot.

What do you think his ceiling is this year and in future years? I think he has the talent/ ability to be a middle of the first round pick or high lottery depending on how he does from here on out of course, but that's how I feel of him of right now.. Could change either way.
    He'll be a key contributor next year and eventually a starter in future seasons. I see instant offense coming off the bench, and a dangerous deep threat...especially when he gets more run and becomes more confident with his stroke. But what makes you think he will ever need to guard big 3's or smaller 4's? He's a 2.

Defense will determine.

What he offers that none of our other guards do is relatively good height at the 2 spot. At 6'4" he's at least 2" taller than Smith, Curry or Irving and he can jump. I expect to see him used more for this reason when match ups make sense.

I don't think we'll need him taking it to the rack much. He should have that in his back pocket, but there will be three players on the team better than he is at dribble drive and kick...and he is probably one of the best on the team to be on the receiving end of the kick...that didn't come out right, but you get the idea.

I hope his attitude is in the right place because it's going to be a fight for minutes for some time. Loaded next year. If Rivers commits and Irving stays, loaded the year after that. By his senior year, though, he could be a major offensive go-to guy. I would hate to see him discouraged and transfer. Don't know the stats, but I would bet that the rate of transfer for freshman who are part of a national championship team is very low.

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!

Wow, I thought Andre was as beefy a freshman guard as you'll see. I know I'm dating myself, but freshman used to be pretty scrawny, and part of the joy being a fan was watching them grow through the years. Andre is a pretty big guy. I think he will be one of those guys that contribute more each year, and his playing time will be commensurate with his defensive prowess. I see him as one of those yearly progression guys (don't nitpick - they all are, but you know what I mean) that will benefit from all the talent around him. The sooner he can become a lock down defender, and I think he eventually will, the more he can assert himself as a factor. Fresh legs in the backcourt all game long is what he can offer, which is not to be underestimated.

I also think Andre has a good build for college ball...especially for a freshman.

IMO Dawk is getting overlooked going into this season. Obviously there is a lot of hype around Irving and Curry...not to mention big minutes for the Plumlees...but...before this kid's life took an unfortunate turn he was building into a legit scorer. I wouldn't be surprised if Andre is the player who most outperforms expectations next year.

I think Andre is gonna be a better Trajan Langdon. If you watch him on you tube he is much more than a shooter. he can create and post and he can flat out dunk on you if you are in the way. I cant wait to see the total package.

Quote Originally Posted by Coballs View Post
    He'll be a key contributor next year and eventually a starter in future seasons. I see instant offense coming off the bench, and a dangerous deep threat...especially when he gets more run and becomes more confident with his stroke. But what makes you think he will ever need to guard big 3's or smaller 4's? He's a 2.
    He is a 2/3, and if we go small in games he may very well have to guard a 3 or a 4 in that set. I just would like to beef up a little bit and with his athletic ability would be to guard them in that set which I think we will be going to a lot this season.

I agree with you on his role this year. I think this season he could be similar to what Danny Green was for UNC in his junior/senior season. Very solid player who will be able to contribute on both end of the floor, mostly as an offensive weapon.

Build

He is a 2/3, and if we go small in games he may very well have to guard a 3 or a 4 in that set. I just would like to beef up a little bit and with his athletic ability would be to guard them in that set which I think we will be going to a lot this season.

I agree with you on his role this year. I think this season he could be similar to what Danny Green was for UNC in his junior/senior season. Very solid player who will be able to contribute on both end of the floor, mostly as an offensive weapon.
    Andre is big enough for the 2/3 position. What he needs is to get stronger. Not so much that he hurts his pure shooting form, but muscle up somewhat. As another poster stated, he really came to Duke a year early(academically). Dre got better defensively as the year went on and that helps him with pt. If he can regain that shooting touch he showed at the beginning of the year, he will play a lot. Go Duke!

He is truly one of my favorite players on the Duke team, and certainly one of the guys that has the most potential on this team to be an impact player on this team.

- His lack of bulk.. He seems to be extremely thin and does not have the bulk which is sorta necessary to be able to cover big 3's and smaller 4's.
    Although I agree that he could have a break-out year it will certainly be difficult with the other weapons we have.

I do disagree that he has a lack of bulk. He is one of the most cut freshman guards I remember seeing at Duke in awhile. His size is actually his biggest asset IMO. He is virtually the only one that allows us to move Kyle to the four while he is at the three because of his size. Against a normal sized team we just cannot play 3 guys on the perimeter under 6'2". At 6'4" or 6'5" (depending on where you look) he gives us the option to play Kyle at the 4 because he will be able to guard a 6'6" or 6'7" SF much better than Seth or Nolan.

He will also see time at the 2 where he can play his more natural position of shooting guard. I see Dre as a guy who could go for 20 any night, but will average around 8-10 for the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Pappa View Post
    His size is actually his biggest asset IMO.
    More than his shot?!?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    He's bulkier than Kelly. Ryan is the one that I want to see put on some muscle.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Dré has pretty strong build.

6'4", 190 pounds isn't that small. He's fairly barrel chested. Remember that dribble drive dunk he did mid-season? (Can't remember who we were playing). He went straight down the lane, skied, and slammed hard, real hard. It was almost Danté Jones/Gerald Henderson-esque. He seems plenty strong to me.

He's just young and needs development. Nice kid and I hope his tragedy doesn't hold him back. I can't imagine what he's gone through and he's had to study and play ball as well. That's a big load.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Pappa View Post
    Although I agree that he could have a break-out year it will certainly be difficult with the other weapons we have.

I do disagree that he has a lack of bulk. He is one of the most cut freshman guards I remember seeing at Duke in awhile. His size is actually his biggest asset IMO. He is virtually the only one that allows us to move Kyle to the four while he is at the three because of his size. Against a normal sized team we just cannot play 3 guys on the perimeter under 6'2". At 6'4" or 6'5" (depending on where you look) he gives us the option to play Kyle at the 4 because he will be able to guard a 6'6" or 6'7" SF much better than Seth or Nolan.

He will also see time at the 2 where he can play his more natural position of shooting guard. I see Dre as a guy who could go for 20 any night, but will average around 8-10 for the season.
    I agree with Big Pappa, with maybe the exception of the "bulk is his greatest assest" comment - Airowe is right that nothing trumps 'dre's shooting. But he really is a more important cog in next year's team than most reealize. K likes to play "his best 5", and that means we'll use our tremendous quality/depth at guard a lot. So 3-guard sets are essentially a given, with frequency dependent on several things including opponents' size, speed and other strengths. Positionally, maybe our weakest spot will be at the 3, insofar as we lack a true classic SF in the Grant Hill mode (6'6" - 6'8" athletic and quick), and could have difficulty matching up with that sort of a player. Kyle may fill that void some by starting at the 3 (I personally think we're overall stronger with him at the 4), but we will need 'dre and maybe some Felix (and Hairston?) to guard the HB's of the world.

I think that it is also in 'dre's interewst to bulk up as, there may be a bit less competition at the 3 for playing time (vs. the 2 ...Curry, Smith, some Irving).

I can't wait to see the "Mad Chemist" (K) at work with this particular combination of players. Should be a fun year to watch develop.

Andre's PT

There have been numerous posts speculating on PT, with lots of opinions. My own is the Plumlees will get 25 each, with Smith getting around 32 and Singler around 34. Both Smith and Singler could get more but will probably be rested some with Duke up by double digits in many games. I feel the point guard role will fall to Irving for around 25 while Curry and Smith and even Thornton could get some time at point. In addition, Curry might well sub in for Smith. Singler may spend some time at the 4 although I doubt if it exceeds 5 minutes, since both Kelly and Hairston look capable of filling that need. That leaves about 10 minutes at the 3 and perhaps a few minutes of PT at the 2. That is what Dawkins is likely playing for and I have not as yet mentioned Carrick, who is probably going to see time at the 3, if his defense is as good as billed.

Injuries may change PT during the year, as well as performance of individual players. I just think it is so hard for the coaches to find PT for so many talented individuals. Hope that no one gets frustrated with the available PT.

He's got a long way to go, IMO. He's easy to root for and has a sweet shot, but...

He has to learn to move without the ball and play defense. He was way way below par wrt both of those last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil Spawn View Post
    6'4", 190 pounds isn't that small. He's fairly barrel chested. Remember that dribble drive dunk he did mid-season? (Can't remember who we were playing). He went straight down the lane, skied, and slammed hard, real hard. It was almost Danté Jones/Gerald Henderson-esque. He seems plenty strong to me.

He's just young and needs development. Nice kid and I hope his tragedy doesn't hold him back. I can't imagine what he's gone through and he's had to study and play ball as well. That's a big load.
    The one that I remember was for the ACC championship game. GT.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim1515 View Post
    IMO Dawk is getting overlooked going into this season. Obviously there is a lot of hype around Irving and Curry...not to mention big minutes for the Plumlees...but...before this kid's life took an unfortunate turn he was building into a legit scorer. I wouldn't be surprised if Andre is the player who most outperforms expectations next year.
    I agree about outperforming the expectations, Andre was averaging 10+ ppg in the OOC, which was pre-tragedy, and then took a while to find himself again in the ACC schedule. He had a handful of moderately impressive performances late in the year, which makes me think that he'll be able to make improvements on his game going into the defense of our National Championship.
    I tend to agree withe others in saying that I don't see Andre playing the 4 at all, and only occasionally at the 3. No need for Andre to bulk up, strength is always good and would help him finish in the lane, but a) that's not Andre's strong suit and b) that's not what the team needs most from him.

Andre has the potential to become the X-Factor for this team. Either him or Carrick Felix because of their athleticism. What I want to see from Andre is a little more energy on the court and constant movement. A poster earlier said he needs to learn to move without the ball and this is absolutely true! He can't stand in the corner and wait for someone to create an open shot for him. He needs to be the aggressor and once he has the confidence to do that, he will be so much better. Also, no one really mentioned his ball handling, but this was another area that he needs improvement in. He doesn't need to be KI or anything, but if he can learn to handle the ball better (in traffic) he will be a tough matchup. I would love for Andre to become a starter/6th man and I think he'll use this summer wisely because he knows what's up. He hasn't been living in a cave or anything so he knows the talent we have coming back and I know he is aware of his weaknesses.

Quote Originally Posted by badgerbd View Post
    He's got a long way to go, IMO. He's easy to root for and has a sweet shot, but...

He has to learn to move without the ball and play defense. He was way way below par wrt both of those last year.
    I think he improved on both of these as the year progressed last year. He gave us great minutes in the Baylor game and came off a couple of screens and hit a couple of 3's with that sweet stroke. I think this is an area we gotta watch as well, but he is not as far behind as you are saying.

As far as defensively, he needs to gain some more lateral quickness. He seems to get beat often because of this. He certainly has the athletic ability to be a good defender, but lacks that quickness and footwork to be an affective player at this time. This I saw slight improvement with as the season went on, but not to the point where I would say that it is one of his assets.