Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Uhm... okay, that was terrible. Simply terrible. "The time for questions... is over?"

Seriously?

Well, not really; just more questions.

Man, Lost really has become almost unwatchable for me. Instead of some cool mythology, something really delving into a true mythology, they invented these two guys on an island and a mysterious light and some smoke and some woman and, to be frank, none of it matters at all. No connections to the rest of the world, no connections to the entire Egyptian past that has been established, no connection to the temple or the pool or the polar bears or... well, no connection to anything at all that they have established.

Just terrible. I have almost zero interest in this show anymore. I had a feeling they would ruin it, and in my opinion they have.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    What a terrible time to have kid issues and dvr issues at the same time!! Dang it.

So help please. My dvr stopped right after Jacob carried his brother back home (after turning him into Smokey) and right as Jacob reaches down to his dead mother it ends?

I am guessing I missed the last 3 to 5 minutes plus previews for next week. Can one of you guys clue me in??

He sticks the bodies in the cave, and they flash back to Jack and Kate finding them, and the two pieces from the game.

You know, a friend just said on The Facebook "Man. I don't get it."

My immediate response? There is nothing, really, to get.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    Uhm... okay, that was terrible. Simply terrible. "The time for questions... is over?"

Seriously?

Well, not really; just more questions.

Man, Lost really has become almost unwatchable for me. Instead of some cool mythology, something really delving into a true mythology, they invented these two guys on an island and a mysterious light and some smoke and some woman and, to be frank, none of it matters at all. No connections to the rest of the world, no connections to the entire Egyptian past that has been established, no connection to the temple or the pool or the polar bears or... well, no connection to anything at all that they have established.

Just terrible. I have almost zero interest in this show anymore. I had a feeling they would ruin it, and in my opinion they have.
    I only starting following week by week last season so I missed a lot. But my take from tonight was the light represented God. The "mom" that raised them said the light was the "source of goodness" and each person had a "little bit of light" in them.

MIB represents evil and is in purgatory on the Island. He can't leave without help and if he gets off the island he has the power to destroy the earth.
    I have been assuming MIB was Satan but after tonight not sure that makes full sense either.

Then I missed the very end so I am a bit ummm "Lost"

Just my take which could be miles from reality.

He sticks the bodies in the cave, and they flash back to Jack and Kate finding them, and the two pieces from the game.

You know, a friend just said on The Facebook "Man. I don't get it."

My immediate response? There is nothing, really, to get.
    Thanks. Sounds like I did not miss much that helped us any,

Quote Originally Posted by Boozer View Post
    I only starting following week by week last season so I missed a lot. But my take from tonight was the light represented God. The "mom" that raised them said the light was the "source of goodness" and each person had a "little bit of light" in them.

MIB represents evil and is in purgatory on the Island. He can't leave without help and if he gets off the island he has the power to destroy the earth.
    I have been assuming MIB was Satan but after tonight not sure that makes full sense either.

Then I missed the very end so I am a bit ummm "Lost"

Just my take which could be miles from reality.
    Sure... but did we have questions about the mom, or the light, or any of that before? It feels like they are inventing answers to questions I didn't even have. And what makes you say it is purgatory... or why do you think that more NOW than before?

I don't know... someone just posted on Facebook "I don't get it" and I can't help but feel there is nothing to get. It is just sort of thrown together, and the writers feel like we should care about the mythology because... well, because they wrote it. Personally, I find it totally uninteresting. Tell me why polar bears, tell me about the pool, tell me about the temple, tell me why Jacob can leave the island and why he does not age, tell me why everything is Egyptian, tell me why there is a big statue of Anibus on the island, tie it into a mythology I can SOMEWHAT recognize instead of creating an all new one that basically invalidates every single thought I've had regarding the "religion" of the show, because I didn't know enough to even guess at it...

Blech.
    Last edited by Lord Ash; 05-11-2010 at 10:33 PM.

Dude, those kids couldn't act. At all. It took away from the first 20 minutes.

I think they'll probably explain a little more about what we saw in the finale but I'll give it a passing grade as far as mythology. A B- maybe.

I concur with Lord Ash! Absolutely awful... seriously, after all this time and 5 seasons or whatever, the big secret is that there's this magic light? How incredibly, incredibly lame and hashed-over is that?

In a way, I almost wish that they hadn't so obviously inserted footage from season 1 because it reminded me of how good the show used to be and how much potential it had before it became a giant cartoon.

Sure... but did we have questions about the mom, or the light, or any of that before? It feels like they are inventing answers to questions I didn't even have. And what makes you say it is purgatory... or why do you think that more NOW than before?

I don't know... someone just posted on Facebook "I don't get it" and I can't help but feel there is nothing to get. It is just sort of thrown together, and the writers feel like we should care about the mythology because... well, because they wrote it. Personally, I find it totally uninteresting. Tell me why polar bears, tell me about the pool, tell me about the temple, tell me why Jacob can leave the island and why he does not age, tell me why everything is Egyptian, tell me why there is a big statue of Anibus on the island, tie it into a mythology I can SOMEWHAT recognize instead of creating an all new one that basically invalidates every single thought I've had regarding the "religion" of the show, because I didn't know enough to even guess at it...

Blech.
    Oh I do agree with you. It revealed a few things but like you said that only led to more questions. I had gotten the purgatory impression from the previous shows in the past weeks once I learned Flocke cannot leave without help and can destroy the world if he succeeds. It just seemed semi logical to me.

So another question I had, is did Jacob mess anything up by tossing MIB into the water/light? The light was gone afterwards. Did that move upset the apple cart regarding the light? Or did it not matter. Weird

Quote Originally Posted by blublood View Post
    I concur with Lord Ash! Absolutely awful... seriously, after all this time and 5 seasons or whatever, the big secret is that there's this magic light? How incredibly, incredibly lame and hashed-over is that?

In a way, I almost wish that they hadn't so obviously inserted footage from season 1 because it reminded me of how good the show used to be and how much potential it had before it became a giant cartoon.
    Did LOST just jump the Dharma shark? Cuse and Lindelof are scrambling and it shows.

I guess they're going to jumble all the answers into the two hour season finale.

Quote Originally Posted by Welcome2DaSlopes View Post
    I guess they're going to jumble all the answers into the two hour season finale.
    There will be a lot of unanswered questions. Cruse and Lindelof's response will be "it was always about the characters."

Quote Originally Posted by JG Nothing View Post
    Exactly. But, IIRC, Cuse and Lindelof have claimed the identity of Adam and Eve will show they had the ending already planned out from the beginning.
    The ending, perhaps, but not the middle.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

I haven't lost faith yet. They are still throwing curve balls at us obviously. Look at everything they did in an hour. Imagine all the stuff they could cover in 2.5x that. I think a lot of stuff is being set up for the finale

My wife was so mad at the end of tonight's episode, she was practically yelling at the TV. I said to her with total calm, "What can we do? Stop watching the final 3 and a half hours of the series?"

Still, I am not at all happy. This was a horrid explanation of what is going on. All the articles said, "pay attention to every word Allison Janey says," and I did. Frankly, she said little that was all that interesting or enlightening. I did catch that she described man the exact same way Titus Wellever (MIB) did in that episode where we met him for the first time. Aside from that, her words were very blaah.

She says, "you cannot hurt each other," and then Jacob beats the crap out of MIB and later Jacob kills MIB by shoving him (face down in the water) into the light. Ummm, sure seems like Jacob hurt him.

What was really frustrating was that the show would come close to actually explaining stuff, but then did not bother. For example, Jacob and MIB aer playing a game and MIB has made up the rules. Jacob complains and MIB says that Jacob can make up the rules to a game if he wants. This is a clear reference to "the rules" that somehow dictate what MIB and Jacob can or cannot do. Cool, I thought, I bet we are about to learn a bit about the rules that matter... nope. Nada. Sigh.

I am also frustrated that we continue to get characters who are neither hero nor villian. Allison Janey is a strange woman and a murderer. She stole her children from a defenseless woman. I certainly don't consider her good. MIB is angry for some darn good reasons and seems more than a little justified in killing Allison Janey after what she did to him (I suspect that she killed all of his people too). He is not nearly as much of a bad guy as one might have expected. Jacob seems more like a goody-goody, overly trusting child than a truly wise person.

Oh, and the frozen donkey wheel really pissed me off. Allison Janey filled in the hole in the ground before it was finished. Ok, so how did it get built then? And how on Earth does it transport you off the island? MIB says he is going to put the wheel in the light and mix it with some water and then when he turns it he will get off the island. You call that an explanation!??!!? Are you kidding me??!?! These guys are making stuff up as they go along... and they are not even all that good at it. The wheel should have already been mounted in the light, not hanging off to the side. Man, they blew that scene big time!

I'll talk more about all this in the morning and maybe sleeping on it will change my mind, but right now I am thoroughly disappointed in the so-called explanations we got tonight. I agree with Lord Ash that it did not adequately explain or expand upon what we already know and it does not feel very connected to what is going on with our characters right now. Heck, it feels to me like no one has answers -- even Jacob does not know what is going on!!

--Jason "I am betting that Jack or someone goes into the light in the final epsiode... which will be really lame" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

SPOILERS: and a reading recommendation

SPOILERS:

Their surrogate mom was clearly Fate (the incarnation -- the actual FATE) - and in the course of the show, she turned that role over to Jacob.

I'm sorry that some are disappointed. I, for one, started to worry that this was going to be tied back to JUST Egyptian, or JUST judeo-christian mythology. I was hoping it would be bigger than that.

Fate is one of the most interesting mythological characters. Fate is really three people:

Clotho spins and separates the threads of life
    Lachesis weaves the threads into the tapestry of life
    Atropos measures and cuts the threads (ends each life).

For some interesting reading, check out Piers Anthony incarnations of immortality. An incredible series of books (8) about Death (Thanatos), Time (Chronos), Fate (Clotho / Lachesis / Atropos), War (Mars), Nature (Gaea), Evil (Satan), Good (God(dess)), and Night (Nox).

Anyway, as we've been speculating over the last few weeks / months, Jacob isn't really "Good" and MIB isn't really "Bad."

In Anthony's books, Satan isn't "really" evil. It's just his role to be the incarnation of evil - a role he enjoys doing well.

If she was FATE, then she should act like it. Instead, she acted like a crazy old lady who kills for no reason and with no warning.

And what was up with Jacob crying all the time about Mother loving MIB more than him? We got no indication of that aside from him whining about it. I don't really see how that played a role in the characters or the story anyway.

--Jason "Lame. It was waaay lame." Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I agree it was pretty lame.

side note... I'm assuming that the temple was built over the light cave... and the pool is the water that emanates therefrom. As we saw last night, putting MIB in the water (very close to the source) results in him being "changed"... so, presumably, Ben and Sayid were also subjected to this water.

I'm not too troubled by the lack of installation of the donkey wheel... more people will come... they will re-excavate and install... However, this doesn't change the fact that it was just handwaving to say that water and gears attached to the donkey wheel take you off the island.

The show has become like trying to answer where man came from... If you say the answer is "god", it just pushes the question up a level and begs the question of where god came from... if you say man preciptated from the big bang... then where did the infinitely dense particle come from... At some point, you just have to accept not knowing.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer View Post
    The show has become like trying to answer where man came from... If you say the answer is "god", it just pushes the question up a level and begs the question of where god came from... if you say man preciptated from the big bang... then where did the infinitely dense particle come from... At some point, you just have to accept not knowing.
    Well sure, except that this is a TV show, and a TV show can take a stand and simply tell us "This is what happened" and then we know. Lost has repeatedly refused to take a stand and tell us anything of value or note or interest as it relates to the show and what came before, which is why honestly over the years it has lost me a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by JG Nothing View Post
    Did LOST just jump the Dharma shark? Cuse and Lindelof are scrambling and it shows.
    Yes, yes it has.

"The time for questions... is over"

I agree. I'm done asking questions because I know they won't be answered. I'll watch but I'm thoroughly disconnected at this point. I couldn't care less if this was all a dream. I'm done.

I feel like I've been dating a girl for 7 years hoping and believing that there would be a beautiful marriage to cap off this relationship. Sure, we've had our ups and downs, at times not really knowing what the other was thinking. Then, just as I ask her The Question, she comes back at me with questions instead of answer. "Where will we live?" "How will we deal with having kids in a world like this?" "What if we can't have kids?" "When are we?"

Lost, you lost me.