Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Angry Bob Knight Halftime Speech

Warning - Not For Children.

George Takei - "OH MY!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yw7Ki...re=grechttp://

K learned to swear from one of the best...

Hmmm...a coach who yells to make a point and uses profanity, but values academics, plays by the rules, is honest with his players, and wins championships...

Or, a win-at-all costs coach who plays fast and loose with the rules, doesn't particularly care about academics, has Final Four appearances vacated, and runs good kids off his team to meet the scholarship limit?

Pretty clear choice, I think.

Phew. They must have had to repaint after that one.

I would not have wanted to play for Coach Knight, I don't think, but a good coach nonetheless, and a GREAT basketball announcer.

My favorite Bob Knight collection is this one... not only a real barn burner, but also shows Coach Knight's humor at its finest

DEFINITELY NSFW.

I like it. Coach Knight got his point across.

No one said it was pretty, but it was effective

Quote Originally Posted by Welcome2DaSlopes View Post
    No one said it was pretty, but it was effective
    are you kidding? i thought it was *#@&ing gorgeous.

i was ready to go out and beat purdue after hearing that.

Far be it from me to question one of the masters of the game, but as someone who has been involved in sports at every level, both as an athlete as well as not, there are definitely some athletes who would not respond well to the idea of a coach being angry about HIS record being 8-10.

It certainly worked for Coach Knight, as evidenced by his body of work, but it is not for everyone.

I do wish he'd write a childrens' book

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    I would not have wanted to play for Coach Knight, I don't think, but a good coach nonetheless, and a GREAT basketball announcer.
    Love it when Knight does Duke games. Calls us "The Dukes" which is far superior to "Dukies". Also, clearly likes Coach K and says truthful positive things about him, which many others aren't willing to do, but not in an obsequious sounding way, like Dickie V, often. Good analysis. Obviously knows a thing or two about hoops.

The golf video is great. I'm sure I would not want to spend a lot of time with this man, but he's entertaining from a distance.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post

Roy. I have to apologize. What was the question?

Quote Originally Posted by KYtotheCore View Post
    Roy. I have to apologize. What was the question?
    From my original post, which type of coach is preferable?

Hmmm...a coach who yells to make a point and uses profanity, but values academics, plays by the rules, is honest with his players, and wins championships...

Or, a win-at-all costs coach who plays fast and loose with the rules, doesn't particularly care about academics, has Final Four appearances vacated, and runs good kids off his team to meet the scholarship limit?

Quote Originally Posted by KYtotheCore View Post
    Warning - Not For Children.

George Takei - "OH MY!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yw7Ki...re=grechttp://
    Good to hear how it's all about the kids, for Bobby. He played? His team? They played for the fx83k8n Univeristy of Indiana, Bobby, and it was their team!

I enjoy the guy as a commentator. Thought he was a horrid coach, who all but ruined the game by intimidating officials into allowing the kind of defense that Purdue played against Duke in the tournament this year, only taken up a notich as Emeril the cook would say.

By and large, his teams manhandled people to fight for space on the court, most of it irrelevant but for the intimidation factor, you move on my court in the offensive half only if I let you was the message, conveyed through body pushing which before Bobby was a foul.

Should have been a football coach. Would have been wonderful watching Ohio State play Indiana. Both Woody and Bobby would be beating the crap out of the same guys, Bobby's.

sometimes, kids need gentle reminders of the consequences of their choices...

i thought he made his points pretty clearly...

If I was a player in that locker room, I do not think that tirade would have made me play any harder. I am not against profanity at all, but all of them thrown together like that would just go in one ear and out the other. I think profanity is very effective when used properly for effect. I would have been much more into what he had to say if he made a passionate speech, then at the end used a colorful word or two to put a stamp on his thoughts. A coach like Gary Williams who just spews crap out of his mouth the whole game to his bench players would do nothing for me. I would think they just have to ignore him at some point. I just love watching him yell at his bench guys when they have no effect on what is going on in the game or caused his moment of anger.

Quote Originally Posted by dukeblue1206 View Post
    If I was a player in that locker room, I do not think that tirade would have made me play any harder. I am not against profanity at all, but all of them thrown together like that would just go in one ear and out the other. I think profanity is very effective when used properly for effect. I would have been much more into what he had to say if he made a passionate speech, then at the end used a colorful word or two to put a stamp on his thoughts. A coach like Gary Williams who just spews crap out of his mouth the whole game to his bench players would do nothing for me. I would think they just have to ignore him at some point. I just love watching him yell at his bench guys when they have no effect on what is going on in the game or caused his moment of anger.
    well. seems to work pretty well for k and seemed to work pretty well for knight. out of context, and without seeing the likely terrifying look on his face, this tirade sounds kinda funny.
    sweaty gary does swear a lot. but so does k. i don't particularly care one way or the other as long as my favorite team wins.

Quote Originally Posted by ElSid View Post
    well. seems to work pretty well for k and seemed to work pretty well for knight. out of context, and without seeing the likely terrifying look on his face, this tirade sounds kinda funny.
    sweaty gary does swear a lot. but so does k. i don't particularly care one way or the other as long as my favorite team wins.
    For Knight, it seems that it was the old saw, you can get more with choking a player and cursing him than you can just by cursing him. I'm not opposed to the creative use of curse words, heck, Lewis Black is my favorite comedian, but a string of curse words that were all about how the game was all about Mr. Knight shows just what a self centered p--, nope I won't, he is.

K, from everything he said about Duke basketball this year, was completely behind the notion that the game was about the team, their development, their accomplishments, not his. Curse words can be cool. The tape I heard was a self-centered tirade that was filed with filth that was all about the speaker's ego. Nothing cool about it.

Quote Originally Posted by ElSid View Post

I like the fact that Coach K swears and does not really try to hide that fact, I just feel he uses his swears to better effect then Knight. Coach Knight seems to let them fly because of anger and temper issues, while Coach K uses it to get a point across or because of disappointment. I would much rather have a coach that curses then just says the old Golly Gee like Coach Huckleberry. I curse a good bit but know how to control it, like Coach K, Knight seems to just lose it because of blind rage and lets the words fly. Just watch those Coach Knight golf show outtakes. He lets them fly and it is rather entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by dukeblue1206 View Post
    I like the fact that Coach K swears and does not really try to hide that fact, I just feel he uses his swears to better effect then Knight. Coach Knight seems to let them fly because of anger and temper issues, while Coach K uses it to get a point across or because of disappointment. I would much rather have a coach that curses then just says the old Golly Gee like Coach Huckleberry. I curse a good bit but know how to control it, like Coach K, Knight seems to just lose it because of blind rage and lets the words fly. Just watch those Coach Knight golf show outtakes. He lets them fly and it is rather entertaining.
    to be clear, i'm pro college coaches cursing. i try to limit it myself because it makes a woman i like think less of me. but to each his own.

coach knight is a big scary bully. he's probably a jerk to everyone who doesn't share his worldview. but he got results in college bball. who knows how many suffered in his wake, but he won a lot.

grew up hating knight rooting for a big ten team not named indiana. starting to like him more recently. guess i'm susceptible to the world today, which offers a lot more chances for redemption. a negative character trait simply makes you more marketable. and all these commercials are starting to make me laugh at what an out of control, violent, bully knight was. his publicist should get a raise. oh, and his reliably positive comments about duke always help.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    Phew. They must have had to repaint after that one.

My favorite Bob Knight collection is this one... not only a real barn burner, but also shows Coach Knight's humor at its finest

DEFINITELY NSFW.
    That was hilarious, especially at the beginning ... Thanks for the post
    The Chi Master