Just came in the mail, the US mail, an announcement that they are changing just about all of their channel numbers, except 1 through 85 which do not change. They provided a chart, which requires a magnifying glass to read, but they gave a link that got me to this PDF file. That is for the Fayetteville/Southern Pines region, but I imagine other regions will see something similar. It's going to take place on June 2, 2010, and when the change is made, it will also change any settings that the user may have set including favorites and DVR recording selections. I'm worried. This may have a global effect just like the typo last week at the NYSE.

Actually, it is hard to criticize TWC for this, since their channel alignment has been terrible since forever. I found one criticism, though. Seeing this now, it shows up TWC for a fraud, because they have been doing a lot of bragging on the number of channels available with their service. Just take a look at the redundancies it exposes. For example, those channels that do not change, 1 through 85, will show all material in standard definition and include all of the over the air local stations. So does the new set of channels numbered 105 through 199. Same material, in standard definition. Then we have a whole flock of categories, sports, premium movies, news, entrainment, etc., all having 3 digit channel numbers. No HD to be found here. You have to look at those numbered over 1100. That's where the HD is on the chart. All HD appears to duplicated in SD, but not all SD stuff is duplicated. A bunch are not. What are they waiting for?

It would have been nice if TWC had generated two separate charts, one each for SD and HD. Mrs. Jarhead and I never watch things in SD any more, except certain very rare occasions. (All that money we spent on our two HD flat panels demands we use them as designed.) We have had trouble locating some of the HD channels, though. Now we can find them easily. We can just put all HD channels in which we are interested in our favorites list, and we won't need to hunt for them, any more.