Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Cameron/Wallace Wade upgrades

http://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/article/65130

Friend of mine sent me this link and I had heard nothing about any of this, wondering if anyone could share some insight beyond the article?

This makes me a little bit nervous. But I suppose judgement would have to be withheld until we see some renderings of what it would look like.

Quote Originally Posted by sandinmyshoes View Post
    This makes me a little bit nervous. But I suppose judgement would have to be withheld until we see some renderings of what it would look like.
    my first thought after reading it, I hope they don't ruin Cameron

The only upgrade I am looking forward to seeing is a Fourth National Championship Banner. Go Duke!!
    The Terrapin Assassin

Thanks for sharing the info.

A plan to build suites on top of the Schwartz-Butters Athletic Center, a six-story building next to Cameron Indoor, from where patrons would peer down inside the arena, remains a possibility. That project is further down on a list of priorities, Cragg said.
    ...peer down inside the arena??

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Hallelujah for the track going away. That is the best part of that plan. The new addition to Cameron would not be a bad thing imo. Sounds like it would be a really nice addition. I am sure the architects would make the outside of the building look great as well.

Wallace Wade is long overdue for improvements. The sooner this starts the better to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Boozer View Post
    Hallelujah for the track going away. That is the best part of that plan.
    So we just say 'screw you track team'?

glad people here are so ready to support money teams at the direct expense of other teams...
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post

glad people here are so ready to support money teams at the direct expense of other teams...
    Thank you.

The Duke running program has consistently been improving; cross country earned a trip to Nationals this year. As a former camper and runner myself, running in Wallace Wade was without a doubt a great experience, and I hope and trust Duke will give due justice to a first-rate track facility wherever it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Thanks for sharing the info.

...peer down inside the arena??
    I don't even know how the logistics of such a renovation would work, lol.

BTW, if Duke Athletics screws with the front end of Cameron they'll never see another dime from me. I guess they should hope I never get promoted .

They will build a new track before they get rid of the old track.

Or the Iron Dukes will lose my $25 per year donation.

uh no.

Of course they'll build another track. Most college football stadiums dont have tracks circling the field.

Quote Originally Posted by phaedrus View Post
    They will build a new track before they get rid of the old track.

Or the Iron Dukes will lose my $25 per year donation.
    We may have talked about this before, but I wonder where a new track would go? On the other side of Route 751, kind of below the Wash. Duke Inn?

Saw some big time track meets at Wallace Wade, but hardly any D-1 school has a track at the football stadium any longer. I'll be curious to get a better idea of what's in mind in all three cases---Wallace Wade, Cameron, and a new track area.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor

Uh, did my post say anything about getting rid of the track teams? Uh No, it didn't.

Getting the track out of the football stadium was the ONLY thing my post was referring to. I am quite sure before they remove the old one they will construct a nicer, new track.

My post was about applauding improvements to the football stadium and was not in any way a slam against the track teams or any other non revenue sport. Sorry you chose to read it as such.

Quote Originally Posted by godukerocks View Post
    Thank you.

The Duke running program has consistently been improving; cross country earned a trip to Nationals this year. As a former camper and runner myself, running in Wallace Wade was without a doubt a great experience, and I hope and trust Duke will give due justice to a first-rate track facility wherever it goes.
    Is anyone aware of any D-I program maintaining a track around the football field that is covered up with turf or something like that during football games?

Quote Originally Posted by DukeCO2009 View Post
    I don't even know how the logistics of such a renovation would work, lol.

BTW, if Duke Athletics screws with the front end of Cameron they'll never see another dime from me. I guess they should hope I never get promoted .
    What do you consider to be the "front end of Cameron"?

The picture accompanying the article shows the South Entrance which faces the North Gate of Wallace Wade Stadium. The current ticket office is in the South Lobby.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    What do you consider to be the "front end of Cameron"?

The picture accompanying the article shows the South Entrance which faces the North Gate of Wallace Wade Stadium. The current ticket office is in the South Lobby.
    Ah, didn't see the picture. Although the address is on Whitford, I always think of the K-Ville side of Cameron as the "front". Either way, I think an addition is a horrible move--just money down the drain and a huge potential eyesore.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeSean View Post
    Is anyone aware of any D-I program maintaining a track around the football field that is covered up with turf or something like that during football games?
    When we traveled to Kansas this past year, they had a track around their field but they did not cover it. Renfree fell on it after running out of bounds though.

The track team is also losing their main area for discus, javelin, and shot-put because of a new indoor practice facility for the football team Duke has been considering for some years.

Coach Cut said that the track team will definitely get new facilities before the track around the field is destroyed.

As for the new track being better than the old track, that is unlikely but possible. The Wade track is VERY high quality and people travel to Durham simply to train on it. It is definitely TOP quality so hopefully the new one will also be top quality.

Where to build the new track? See the left side of page 2 of these sketches/renderings.

http://www.bluedevilsfootball.com/pd...oposal_web.pdf
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Where to build the new track? See the left side of page 2 of these sketches/renderings.

thats awesome, imagine how much of a boost coach cut would get in recruiting with a state of the art facility

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post

That area is the lacrosse practice field. Where are those teams going to practice?