Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Maybe there's a CFL team that would look at him.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Very interesting turn of circumstances. I'll have to take a closer look here.

Greg Paulus invited back to Saints Minicamp

http://www.sunherald.com/2010/06/04/...attention.html

The Saints brought former Duke basketball star Greg Paulus back in for a three-day tryout, in part to limit the burden on Super Bowl MVP Drew Brees. Paulus played quarterback for one season at Syracuse, and the only other quarterbacks on the Saints’ roster are Chase Daniel and seventh-round draft choice Sean Canfield.

“I’ve heard a lot of good things about Greg,” Brees said. “If he can get a chance here, or maybe someplace else, who knows?”

Quote Originally Posted by formerdukeathlete View Post
    http://www.sunherald.com/2010/06/04/...attention.html

The Saints brought former Duke basketball star Greg Paulus back in for a three-day tryout, in part to limit the burden on Super Bowl MVP Drew Brees. Paulus played quarterback for one season at Syracuse, and the only other quarterbacks on the Saints’ roster are Chase Daniel and seventh-round draft choice Sean Canfield.

“I’ve heard a lot of good things about Greg,” Brees said. “If he can get a chance here, or maybe someplace else, who knows?”
    Awesome for Greg. Good luck!

Also a nice compliment from Drew Brees. I'm not a Saints fan so don't really know the back-up QB situation with Chase Daniel and Sean Canfield but hopefully Greg has a chance to beat one of them out.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilHorns View Post
    Awesome for Greg. Good luck!

Also a nice compliment from Drew Brees. I'm not a Saints fan so don't really know the back-up QB situation with Chase Daniel and Sean Canfield but hopefully Greg has a chance to beat one of them out.
    I would think he has a good chance. Chase Daniels is significantly undersized. He had a great run at Missouri but his lack of size is a serious obstacle for him. Canfield out of Oregon State has the physique to be an NFL QB, but he never really emerged as a true star in college. Greg's definitely got a shot.

I think he has a great shot here. As you said below, Chase Daniel is undersized and really doesn't have much of a pocket presence. Canfield is a case of a Quarterback which really never showed off his full potential in college. However, he does still have some upside, so he will be the chief competitor I believe to be back the backup behind Brees.

Remember this now as well... If Paulus has a good preseason then he could be looked at other teams even if the Saints decide to go with a Veteran behind Brees. Keep in mind of the Quarterbacks that have gone in 6th round- on:

Tony Romo, Trent Green, Tom Brady, Kurt Warner, Matt Cassel and Matt Shuab. Pretty impressive list of guys... I am NOT saying that Paulus will be as good as one of these guys, but it has happen before, and in Cassel's case, he didn't play in college at all.

So hopefully he can make a NFL team out there even if isn't the Saints.

AP Article

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...DCa0wD9G5D5B80

' Although Paulus is focusing on football now, the first NFL team to give him a look was the same one that drafted Miami tight end Jimmy Graham, a converted basketball player himself whose four years as a Hurricanes power forward coincided with Paulus' four seasons playing point guard at Duke.

"We'd have a good basketball team," Paulus joked after practice this weekend. "We could run the pick-and-roll. We could have some fun."

Paulus and Graham were rivals in the ACC from the 2005-06 through 2008-09 college basketball seasons. This weekend, they've been working on the same football field in suburban New Orleans and carpooling to practice.

"It's a little bit different, but it's fun," Paulus said. "To switch sports, it's a very difficult thing, so to have this type of opportunity, it's something we were hoping for when we made the decision to play football a year ago."

Graham said it was "weird" to see Paulus joining him at Saints practice, "because I played him four years in basketball and threw his layups — or him — out of bounds a couple times."

"He's a smart player, obviously going to Duke," Graham continued. "He hasn't necessarily had as much time as the rest of us with the offense, but he catches on quick and is definitely a good football player. Anybody that gets him, or if he stays here, has a smart quarterback." '

greg did well at minicamp

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf...tes_qb_gr.html

New Orleans Saints notes: QB Greg Paulus on bubble

' The Saints obviously like Paulus, whom they first invited to their rookie camp last month. He appears to handle himself well on the field and he clearly possesses some of those intangible personality traits Payton values highly in his quarterbacks.

But the Saints drafted a quarterback in April, and last year the team only kept two signal-callers active on its roster. Chase Daniel, who ran the Saints practice squad in 2009 as the third quarterback, showed no reason he should drop on the depth chart at minicamp and there is always the possibility the Saints will still sign a veteran backup as the calendar moves toward the July 29 training camp opener.

In other words, there are more guys wearing red jerseys at practice than the Saints are going to have in a couple of months.

Payton diplomatically avoided the issue, however, when asked about Paulus.

"He did well," Payton said. "He's someone that gets us in and out of the huddle. He has quickly picked up on what we're doing. I think he's a good decision maker. I'm glad he was back. We saw some good things in the rookie minicamp and again in this camp. He gets limited reps, but he's someone that can handle everything you're installing and take it to the field." '

Athletic Life Support

Wow, can't believe we are still hoping for Greg to find employment as a professional athlete in any sport. He had a good career at Duke and performed well, at times with Syracuse; seems as though he is still keeping hopes alive for a chance at a "big pay-day." Good luck G, but at some point, you gotta put that prestigious degree you got to work and join the rest of us. He shoulda thought about football more while he was still at Duke. His name alone warrants him second and third looks at the professional level; but even the name has a shelf life in the sports world. Hang in there buddy; keep hope alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
    Wow, can't believe we are still hoping for Greg to find employment as a professional athlete in any sport. He had a good career at Duke and performed well, at times with Syracuse; seems as though he is still keeping hopes alive for a chance at a "big pay-day." Good luck G, but at some point, you gotta put that prestigious degree you got to work and join the rest of us. He shoulda thought about football more while he was still at Duke. His name alone warrants him second and third looks at the professional level; but even the name has a shelf life in the sports world. Hang in there buddy; keep hope alive.
    I must say that this is not my favorite post in this thread. Don't like the negative tone at all (not a personal attack, but a comment on your outlook). Greg will earn a professional paycheck from someone in either football or basketball, at some high level, for several years, until he turns his long term attention to coaching, probably in basketball.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

The fact that he's being quoted as picking things up well means that he's an ideal 3rd QB candidate on any NFL roster. That person on the roster almost always has the responsibility of running the scout team against the first-string defense. So you need someone there who can pick up new plays frequently. The job is as much to make the defense better as it is to contribute on offense.

Also, a seventh-round pick is not a guy who has a guaranteed spot on the roster. Canfield was chosen 239th out of 255 overall picks. It's not far-fetched to see a seventh-round guy get beaten out by a FA. Canfield was on the "perceived best available" list at that point, but that doesn't mean Paulus isn't a better potential QB.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    I must say that this is not my favorite post in this thread. Don't like the negative tone at all (not a personal attack, but a comment on your outlook). Greg will earn a professional paycheck from someone in either football or basketball, at some high level, for several years, until he turns his long term attention to coaching, probably in basketball.
    I agree and I think that we should be supporting Greg in whatever he decides to do. That aside, I do think that Greg will be successful at whatever he decides to do; whether it's playing, coaching, or studying to be a doctor (that isn't a rumor it's just an example).

Greg has the intangibles, will, and confidence that it takes to excel in any field and I know he will be successful for many years to come.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Pappa View Post
    I agree and I think that we should be supporting Greg in whatever he decides to do. That aside, I do think that Greg will be successful at whatever he decides to do; whether it's playing, coaching, or studying to be a doctor (that isn't a rumor it's just an example).

Greg has the intangibles, will, and confidence that it takes to excel in any field and I know he will be successful for many years to come.
    Agreed. He is getting another shot at making the team. They called him back for a reason; they obviously can tell he is talented and has the potential even after only one year of college football. It's absurd to think that he should just call it in now and "start using his degree like the rest of us" since he is not guaranteed a spot. If he can't make an NFL roster, then he has several options playing football or basketball in other professional leagues.

Good luck Greg!

Greg will do wonderful things whether it is on a field of play or in a boardroom some where. The kid is a winner, and a good person. GO GREG, best of luck in whatever happens. AND THANKS FOR YOUR TIME AT DUKE!!

Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
    http://whodatdish.com/2010/06/07/pat...training-camp/

suggestion is that Patrick Ramsey will be signed before camp to compete for a spot. and mention of Greg, 'Payton has said that Paulus is “on the bubble” so the chance exists he could be in the mix as well.'

The Saints wont be considering Greg for the name, or the novelty.

Also, you are aware, right, that Greg was prohibited from going out for Football until his junior year, because he had signed a basketball letter of intent? And, planning for his junior and going into his senior years he was starting at the point for Duke.

If Greg can learn the playbook so quickly at Syracuse, perhaps there is a chance he has already impressed the Saints enough, and perhaps there is a chance he can win a roster spot. Its a bit more than "keep hope alive."

suggestion is that Patrick Ramsey will be signed before camp to compete for a spot. and mention of Greg, 'Payton has said that Paulus is “on the bubble” so the chance exists he could be in the mix as well.'

Also, you are aware, right, that Greg was prohibited from going out for Football until his junior year, because he had signed a basketball letter of intent? And, planning for his junior and going into his senior years he was starting at the point for Duke.

If Greg can learn the playbook so quickly at Syracuse, perhaps there is a chance he has already impressed the Saints enough, and perhaps there is a chance he can win a roster spot. Its a bit more than "keep hope alive."
    One foot in the door baby!!!

The first two spots are pretty much guaranteed to Brees and Chase Daniels with Ramsey, Josh McCown, and Rookie Sean Canfield from Oregon State all still in the mix for the third spot along with Greg.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Pappa View Post
    The first two spots are pretty much guaranteed to Brees and Chase Daniels with Ramsey, Josh McCown, and Rookie Sean Canfield from Oregon State all still in the mix for the third spot along with Greg.
    I know the Saints have worked out McCown, but dont think he was at the mini camp and dont see that he is still in the equation. You have some info. to post on that? Seems to me that the only lock in the pecking order is Brees. That Payton may have more of than a hunch about Paulus. If you followed the developments at Syracuse last summer and fall, players were quoted that in the informal workouts very early on, in 7 on 7 drills, when the lights went on in the Carrier Dome, Greg lit it up, etc. Sure, this is a whole other level, and Greg will have to perform very well, if in fact he goes to camp. Tim Green, former Syracuse and NFL player http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Green apparently thinks Greg may have a 15 year NFL career http://forums.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=185&f=2826&t=6010056
    A guess, but if Greg is in camp and wins a roster spot, it will because Coach Payton thinks he has the most potential next to Drew Brees, even more so than Daniels.