Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    So, what's the Saints QB situation like and how many do they expect to sign? This is simply a minicamp, and then they eventually get invited to camp, then potentially pre-season, and then get signed. So, there are still like 3 rounds of cuts. Let me see if I got this straight...

Obvious starter: Drew Brees

Chase Daniel (2nd year in NFL; was with Saints last season) - Missouri
    Sean Canfield (Selected in 7th round) - Oregon State

Brought in for rookie minicamp:
    A.J. McKenna - Albany State
    Greg Paulus - Syracuse

Mark Brunell (17-year veteran, played with Saints last yr; could re-sign)

Others possible via free agency:
    Patrick Ramsey (9-yr veteran; played with Lions last yr)
    Josh McCown (9-yr veteran; played with Panthers last yr)

Most teams have, what, three QBs on a roster? So, it appears that it's still an uphill battle for Paulus and he'd have to have a great workout to have a chance. But he's proven that he's capable of surprising people in the past. I wish him the best!
    that's basically the progression, except that were Greg invited to camp, the Saints typically would sign Greg prior to the start of camp.

The Saints worked out Ramsey and McCown before the draft, yet decided to draft Canfield. Canfield had a good senior year, all Pac 10, had a shoulder injury during the prior year. The scouting report on Canfield, "He has prototypical NFL size and release but has always struggled to come up big when under pressure. He does a good job of reading coverages and making pre-snap reads but can struggle when things break down and he needs to improvise or make plays on the move. He has enough of an arm to make most of the throws needed in the NFL but lacks the cannon needed to hit small windows or hit receivers in stride on the deep outs." http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/...ield?id=497104 Sounds like some of his weaknesses may be Greg's strengths.

Throwing to receivers at on campus pro days is one thing. Looking at film of a player after a 5 year layoff and a couple of months back into Football is another. Mini camps give the coaches a lot more to work with and think about.

I hope that since Greg is a little undersized for an NFL qb and a few other dings (same questionmarks as Brees' had) that they see him as a good fit for a backup qb position if bad luck strikes the starters. His size and strengths allign with Brees', at least superficially.

I think that Paulus was a very valuable contributor throughout his time at Duke. Some of the adversity he faced will actually help him to be a better coach IF and when he decides to go into coaching - he will better be able to relate to players who are struggling or not playing as much, unlike a coach who has never struggled.

Question for those who know more about the NFL: do teams tend to carry a QB on the practice squad? I would think they wouldn't, but perhaps that could be an opportunity for Greg as well, particularly since he is behind his peers in terms of the number of reps he has seen.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    I think that Paulus was a very valuable contributor throughout his time at Duke. Some of the adversity he faced will actually help him to be a better coach IF and when he decides to go into coaching - he will better be able to relate to players who are struggling or not playing as much, unlike a coach who has never struggled.

Question for those who know more about the NFL: do teams tend to carry a QB on the practice squad? I would think they wouldn't, but perhaps that could be an opportunity for Greg as well, particularly since he is behind his peers in terms of the number of reps he has seen.
    A good portion of NFL teams keep QBs on the practice squad. It just depends on how many QBs they carry on their roster. Just last year - the Pats elevated a QB from their practice squad and made him a WR. Julian Edelmen to be exact. The Pats actually carried 4 QBs on their roster last year and Edelman was listed as a WR by year's end.

Teams that carry three QBs (a la last year's Eagles) would not normally keep more than one QB on the practice squad.

A team like the Saints most definitley would b/c that QB tends to get to do scout team work. Greg has a great chance in a familiar system...

Quote Originally Posted by formerdukeathlete View Post
    He does a good job of reading coverages and making pre-snap reads but can struggle when things break down and he needs to improvise or make plays on the move. He has enough of an arm to make most of the throws needed in the NFL but lacks the cannon needed to hit small windows or hit receivers in stride on the deep outs." http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/...ield?id=497104 Sounds like some of his weaknesses may be Greg's strengths.
    But it also sounds like they have a common weakness: arm strength.

are sure this isn't just a good-willed favor called in by doug marrone? wasn't he an assistant in NO?

Quote Originally Posted by NovaScotian View Post
    are sure this isn't just a good-willed favor called in by doug marrone? wasn't he an assistant in NO?
    The NFL is indeed an unusual workplace known for "phone calls" but familiarity will only get you as far as any other place in America. Once you get there you've still gotta perform and if they haven't already spent big money on you - then you've gotta do it sooner than later.

So far apparently the Saints have signed two from mini camp http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf...gn_two_mo.html, including a linebacker who is not as fast as Paulus in the 40. I'd expect we would hear more in the next couple of days.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by SupaDave View Post
    A good portion of NFL teams keep QBs on the practice squad. It just depends on how many QBs they carry on their roster. Just last year - the Pats elevated a QB from their practice squad and made him a WR. Julian Edelmen to be exact. The Pats actually carried 4 QBs on their roster last year and Edelman was listed as a WR by year's end.

Teams that carry three QBs (a la last year's Eagles) would not normally keep more than one QB on the practice squad.

A team like the Saints most definitley would b/c that QB tends to get to do scout team work. Greg has a great chance in a familiar system...
    I am not ready to bet against Paulus making it in the NFL as a backup QB. The Saints would be a nice fit. And call me crazie, but I think he also would have a decent chance of making it as a slot receiver. A poor man's Wes Welker if you will. Not out of the realm of possibilty.

If we have learned anything from watching Greg, it is "do not bet against him". Many poor souls bet their entire reputations that Greg "would never see a college football field" and there was a dining table full of crow eaten on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Boozer View Post
    I am not ready to bet against Paulus making it in the NFL as a backup QB. The Saints would be a nice fit. And call me crazie, but I think he also would have a decent chance of making it as a slot receiver. A poor man's Wes Welker if you will. Not out of the realm of possibilty.

If we have learned anything from watching Greg, it is "do not bet against him". Many poor souls bet their entire reputations that Greg "would never see a college football field" and there was a dining table full of crow eaten on that one.
    You actually aren't too far from reality. One of the advantages of the scout team is that you MAY have to play different positions.

It's the same reason why a "slow" line backer can be picked up, b/c he may be a "fast" defensive end.

I agree. The kind of heart and desire that Greg have are not easy to find. IMO they are not worth trading a 2nd, 3rd, and 4th round pick to take him with the 25th pick in the first round when, in all likelihood, he will drop to you in the third or fourth.

Anyway, Greg is a talented and dedicated guy that will succeed in whatever he does. It may be the NFL and it may not, but whatever it is I am pulling for him.

dont bet against Greg

nola.com reports Greg signed a free agent contract with the Saints.

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf..._drew_bre.html

this is big, means he played well at mini camp, as noted by Coach Payton's comments.

Quote Originally Posted by formerdukeathlete View Post
    dont bet against Greg

nola.com reports Greg signed a free agent contract with the Saints.

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf..._drew_bre.html

this is big, means he played well at mini camp, as noted by Coach Payton's comments.
    Good deal FDA!!!!! This thread title is officially changed...

awesome. hope he surprises everyone.
    watched the citrusTV link someone posted on here. great interview. certainly sounds genuine and positive, which i knew he was already. i feel slightly bad for saying he was "bad for the program" but that was never meant to be about greg, the person, just about style of play on the team, and me being spoiled and wishing for someone like jason williams to be on duke every year (which we obviously don't require to win NCs). i'll still get heat for that but i'll take it. i appreciate his contribution and think if he can even make the practice squad it would be a truly amazing story that reflects well on greg and on duke.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Pappa View Post
    I agree. The kind of heart and desire that Greg have are not easy to find. IMO they are not worth trading a 2nd, 3rd, and 4th round pick to take him with the 25th pick in the first round when, in all likelihood, he will drop to you in the third or fourth.
    There was no way Tebow was going to last past the second round, imo. Even if you're not a fan of his QB skills between the 20s, he would've been worth a second round pick just for being an excellent short-yardage, goalline weapon and for his intangibles. Football coaches love the guy.

Maybe not literally impossible but pretty far-fetched. Wes Welker, even though he is a short white guy, is a physical freak. Amazing change of direction skills, quickness, and hands, perfect for the slot. You can't just plug anyone into the slot and expect him to be a poor man's Welker.

Anyway, good luck to Greg. I'm very happy that he was invited to a minicamp and I think he chose the right team to compete for a job with. The odds are probably still stacked against him but beating out either Chase Daniel or Sean Canfield for the 3rd QB position on a team isn't impossibly daunting. If Sean Payton likes what he sees from Greg, there's also the option of being a practice squad player.

dream match up

Greg Paulus leading the Saints against Tim Tebow's Broncos. If only we could get Redick involved in some capacity, you'd have a triple play of players people loved to hate. Duke wins!

Quote Originally Posted by ElSid View Post
    awesome. hope he surprises everyone.
    watched the citrusTV link someone posted on here. great interview. certainly sounds genuine and positive, which i knew he was already. i feel slightly bad for saying he was "bad for the program" but that was never meant to be about greg, the person, just about style of play on the team, and me being spoiled and wishing for someone like jason williams to be on duke every year (which we obviously don't require to win NCs). i'll still get heat for that but i'll take it. i appreciate his contribution and think if he can even make the practice squad it would be a truly amazing story that reflects well on greg and on duke.
    Let's not rehash whatever negative you may have and focus on Greg's moves going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    There was no way Tebow was going to last past the second round, imo. Even if you're not a fan of his QB skills between the 20s, he would've been worth a second round pick just for being an excellent short-yardage, goalline weapon and for his intangibles. Football coaches love the guy.
    Since this is a Greg thread I won't debate you on Tebow's ability or even where he was drafted. All I will say is that, using your points, there have been many excellent short-yardage, goal line weapons, and intangible filled players who don't go in the first round. You basically just described a fullback with really good intangibles. Something you could easily get in the 3rd-4th rounds of the draft and someone that you shouldn't mortgage your entire draft for.

Anyway, I'm so happy for Greg and I wish him a long and happy career.

I wonder if there has ever been another athlete who played basketball and not football during his entire undergraduate career and then went on to receive an NFL contract?