Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    I wonder if there has ever been another athlete who played basketball and not football during his entire undergraduate career and then went on to receive an NFL contract?
    Antonio Gates

I wonder if there has ever been another athlete who played basketball and not football during his entire undergraduate career and then went on to receive an NFL contract?
    Antonio Gates only played basketball at Kent State.

This is great, I hope he becomes a Star...

Quote Originally Posted by tbyers11 View Post
    Antonio Gates only played basketball at Kent State.
    I don't think its fair to compare Gates to Greg... Greg will be WAY better!! I'm just glad we aren't putting any pressure on him.

Here's a trivia question. This former NFL player was a very good college basketball player who has the added distinction of playing in a win vs Duke in Cameron. Who was it?

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Here's a trivia question. This former NFL player was a very good college basketball player who has the added distinction of playing in a win vs Duke in Cameron. Who was it?
    you got it, roy, that guy was Sam Clancy.

4 QBs going into camp for the Saints, and Greg may have out impressed at least one of them (already) in mini camp.

Quote Originally Posted by formerdukeathlete View Post
    you got it, roy, that guy was Sam Clancy.
    Very good, fda...

Clancy and Gene Banks knew each other from some all-star basketball games in Pennsylvania. Had some spirited contests...Pitt actually won at Duke and then Duke won up there the following year.

Tinkerbell might have been a decent football player. I could still picture Jason Williams as a very good running back.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Pappa View Post
    You basically just described a fullback with really good intangibles. Something you could easily get in the 3rd-4th rounds of the draft...
    No, fullbacks aren't a dual threat like Tebow is. That is what will make him dangerous in short yardage situations, like how a basketball player is much more dangerous when he can both shoot and drive, imo.

there have been many excellent short-yardage, goal line weapons, and intangible filled players who don't go in the first round.
    It's possible Denver reached for Tebow but I'm not sure how one goes about determining what his proper value should be since there's never been a prospect quite like him. That's the underrated thing about Tebow; he's actually a rare physical specimen. Try naming players from previous drafts that were 6'3", 245 lbs, ran a 4.7 and leapt 38" at the combine, beat all the other QBs in agility drills (cone, shuttle) at the combine, threw for 80+ TDs in college with a 66% completion percentage, and ran for 57 more TDs, all against SEC-level competition. Again, I'm not sure he should've been a first-rounder but I don't think this rare level of athlete should've been a mid-rounder, either.

Congrats Greg!!

Just for the record, I'm a Chargers fan. If Greg can have half the success of Antonio Gates (and I think he can), that will make for a great life for Greg. This seems like an ideal way for Paulus to enter the league, where he can learn behind one of the better quarterbacks in the NFL. Maybe one day he'll be a Charger. A dream come true!

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Julius Peppers?

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Julius Peppers?
    Yeah, unfortunately both Julius Peppers and Ronald Curry played in this game:

http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketba...ameid=20010201

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Maybe not literally impossible but pretty far-fetched. Wes Welker, even though he is a short white guy, is a physical freak. Amazing change of direction skills, quickness, and hands, perfect for the slot. You can't just plug anyone into the slot and expect him to be a poor man's Welker.
    Ummmm.. I see more similarities in the two beyond race and height. You are correct that Welker is the Gold Standard, no argument there. But Greg is quick, has great hands, and contrary to popular belief is a good athlete.

It is a reach, I admit. But I can see him in that role.

Either way, I hope he makes it no matter what the position. He took a great first step with this signing so congrats to him on that one!

Go Greg Paulus! Prove the naysayers wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Julius Peppers?
    Peppers is still playing by the way...

Quote Originally Posted by Boozer View Post
    Ummmm.. I see more similarities in the two beyond race and height. You are correct that Welker is the Gold Standard, no argument there. But Greg is quick, has great hands, and contrary to popular belief is a good athlete.

Either way, I hope he makes it no matter what the position. He took a great first step with this signing so congrats to him on that one!

To be honest Welker didn't start putting up monster stats until the Pats. He was however a MAJOR standout on special teams. At this point, his vision is light years ahead of Greg - but take a look at Welker's first years. Oh yeah - Welker wasn't drafted either...

Quote Originally Posted by SupaDave View Post
    To be honest Welker didn't start putting up monster stats until the Pats. He was however a MAJOR standout on special teams. At this point, his vision is light years ahead of Greg - but take a look at Welker's first years. Oh yeah - Welker wasn't drafted either...
    I gotta agree with Trouble. The biggest difference between Greg and Wes is that Wes played football for 4 years in college and did really well. He finished with over 3000 yards and 21 touchdowns, he also ran for just under 500 yards. His senior year he won the Mosi Tatupu award for the best special teams player in the nation, he is still tied for the most punt returns for tds ever.

Greg is a great guy and a great athlete but Wes is not a fair comparison.

I gotta agree with Trouble. The biggest difference between Greg and Wes is that Wes played football for 4 years in college and did really well. He finished with over 3000 yards and 21 touchdowns, he also ran for just under 500 yards. His senior year he won the Mosi Tatupu award for the best special teams player in the nation, he is still tied for the most punt returns for tds ever.

Greg is a great guy and a great athlete but Wes is not a fair comparison.
    But the fact of the matter is that they can be compared. To be a slot receiver you must first be tough. Greg has got that. If you search the early Paulus football threads you will see I have ALWAYS been high on Paulus' football skills.

You yourself should know that while top speed matters in breakaway runs in football, you don't necessarily run FULL speed during plays.

But honestly, that arguement is neither here or there for me. I'm a proponent of Paulus the QB. The guy who just keeps proving me right...

Well, I don't want to belabor the point, but while Greg is quick among the general human population, he is not quick among NFL receivers and especially not quick compared to Welker who ran legendary short shuttle times that demonstrate his incredible ability to cut on a dime. At Syracuse's Pro Day this year, Greg ran an average short shuttle time (pretty good for a QB, though!) and very slow 40s (4.89 seconds) if you're talking about an NFL receiver. I'm not sure how to rate Greg's hands since I've never seen him play WR. But, at any rate, I think we're both much more interested in how he fares at QB anyway. I'm pretty encouraged that Sean Payton, regarded as an offensive/QB guru, thought enough of Greg to bring him to minicamp and praised him afterwards.

Wait What?

Quote Originally Posted by SupaDave View Post
    But the fact of the matter is that they can be compared. To be a slot receiver you must first be tough. Greg has got that. If you search the early Paulus football threads you will see I have ALWAYS been high on Paulus' football skills.

You yourself should know that while top speed matters in breakaway runs in football, you don't necessarily run FULL speed during plays.

But honestly, that arguement is neither here or there for me. I'm a proponent of Paulus the QB. The guy who just keeps proving me right...
    I am glad you are high on his football skills, I am too. He was a fantastic high school player but a so-so college player. In his defense he only played one year with virtually no experience. I think he has a lot of football skill and can be an asset to an NFL team whether that's in the film room or on the practice field. I don't see him being a successful starting QB but I sure hope he is.

The discussion we were having is about him compared to Wes. As Trouble pointed out, he is not particularly quick or fast for an NFL receiver while Wes is super quick (4.01 shuttle) and fast enough (4.65 40). All in all I just don't see it as an accurate comparison, obviously you can compare them I just don't think it is fair to Greg. Wes played receiver for 4 years in college and Greg played QB for one, that just doesn't translate into a good comparison IMO.