Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Paulus and the Saints

NOLA.com is reporting that Greg Paulus is among about 40 undrafted tryout players that will get a shot at making the team at the New Orleans Saints weekend minicamp this weekend.

See http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf...greg_paul.html

Quote Originally Posted by MtPJimB View Post
    NOLA.com is reporting that Greg Paulus is among about 40 undrafted tryout players that will get a shot at making the team at the New Orleans Saints weekend minicamp this weekend.

See http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf...greg_paul.html
    Don't the Saints realize that a quarterback that height can't make it in the NFL?

Who 'dat? Greg Paulus

dONT EVEN GET YOUR HOPES UP FOR THIS,HES TOO "UN-ATHLETIC".But seriously,I'm happy for Greg hes out there trying,I would really like to see him make a team

(via Jeff Goodman's twitter) If it doesnt work out with the Saints, Paulus wants to get involved in college bball coaching.

Wouldn't be surprised to see him on the staff in the future

Quote Originally Posted by t-baller22 View Post
    Wouldn't be surprised to see him on the staff in the future
    He'll definitely be on a Duke Sideline, because his Football Career will be short-lived.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff0r3 View Post
    He'll definitely be on a Duke Sideline, because his Football Career will be short-lived.
    And just why are you so confident of that.
    Celebrate what he has accomplished rather than throw gratuitous insults at him

We will see how it turns out. He has accomplished much more than the vast majority of his detractors (now including you) have predicted.

Good luck Greg

Wishing you well Greg. Be it football, coaching, or any other venture.
    GOOD LUCK!

Best of luck to Greg when he tries out in New Orleans. As many of you guys know, his coach at Syracuse was the Saints offensive coordinator beforehand. Hopefully he impresses Sean Payton and makes the team as the third string quarterback this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff0r3 View Post
    I do not think that Paulus will coach at Duke. I think he will coach and that he is a decent enough shot to be good at it. I just doubt that it will be at Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by greybeard View Post
    I do not think that Paulus will coach at Duke. I think he will coach and that he is a decent enough shot to be good at it. I just doubt that it will be at Duke.
    Why not at Duke?

Quote Originally Posted by JaMarcus Russell View Post
    Why not at Duke?
    Greybeard is a Cornell grad, NY guy...maybe he thinks it would be on Boeheim's staff.

The Saints camp starts today, and player interviews may be granted tomorrow. The media whirlwind may start again if Greg makes it to the pre-season. Invited to the Saints camp is a similar to better situation than Riley Skinner's invite to the Giants camp. http://wakeforestsports.cstv.com/spo...042610aaa.html

Who has the greater NFL potential? Well Paulus is taller, smart, relentless work ethic (recall Dave Paulus saying that Greg was at Syracuse from 6:00 am to 11:00 pm every day during the informal workouts period), and reports are he is throwing the ball well.

Quote Originally Posted by formerdukeathlete View Post
    Greybeard is a Cornell grad, NY guy...maybe he thinks it would be on Boeheim's staff.

The Saints camp starts today, and player interviews may be granted tomorrow. The media whirlwind may start again if Greg makes it to the pre-season. Invited to the Saints camp is a similar to better situation than Riley Skinner's invite to the Giants camp. http://wakeforestsports.cstv.com/spo...042610aaa.html

Who has the greater NFL potential? Well Paulus is taller, smart, relentless work ethic (recall Dave Paulus saying that Greg was at Syracuse from 6:00 am to 11:00 pm every day during the informal workouts period), and reports are he is throwing the ball well.
    Due to his various outstanding qualities of character, in addition to some real QB ability, I think he does have a slight chance at making a team if its system plays to his strengths. In any case, very glad to hear he is getting this chance, and may he make the best of it!

GL Greg

Paulus Syracuse exit interview

http://www.citrustv.net/view-video5.aspx?id=713

He sounds classy as ever. And if he doesn't make the NFL, we might still see him on the sidelines at Duke!

Looking at this completely objectively, what attributes as a player did Paulus bring that would make him a good coach? He certainly did not excel as a player, getting steadily worse through his career. You can attribute that to:

• injuries
    • lack of good/mature players around him
    • lack of talent

It did seem that he had a great attitude and was trying hard (despite results). Is that all it takes to be on the staff? How about knowing how to succeed against all odds?

I will always wish the best for Paulus, but I think there may be better candidates for the coaching staff.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Devil View Post
    Looking at this completely objectively, what attributes as a player did Paulus bring that would make him a good coach? He certainly did not excel as a player, getting steadily worse through his career. You can attribute that to:

• injuries
    • lack of good/mature players around him
    • lack of talent

It did seem that he had a great attitude and was trying hard (despite results). Is that all it takes to be on the staff? How about knowing how to succeed against all odds?

I will always wish the best for Paulus, but I think there may be better candidates for the coaching staff.
    There are many qualities that Paulus exhibits that would make him a good coach. First of all, leadership. Even when Paulus' minutes dwindled his senior year, he was still a very vocal leader as a captain, and teammates and coaches commented on his leadership skills. Secondly, recruiting. Apparently, Paulus was key in getting a few guys to commit to Duke with his likeable personality and hospitality when they visited. Thirdly, intelligence. Paulus is a smart dude; learned Syracuse playbook quickly and has exhibited a knack for understanding defenses and seeing schemes well.

The "getting steadily worse throughout his career" I think is slightly unfair. When he was a freshman, there was no other true PG on the team so he didn't have any competition at the spot, and could constantly feed JJ and Shelden. When you've got two dominating players like that alongside you, it's easy to look good. Later on, there was more competition at the point and not All-Americans to dish to. It makes life on the PG a lot harder and we required a PG that could create off the dribble more. Having said that, Paulus was key in many games in his career. The nailing of multiple 3s against UNC in Chapel Hill his senior year comes to mind. We don't win that game without him. He also came up big vs. Miami (I think we won in OT) his senior year, so even though his stats went down, he was still clutch in several games and didn't wallow in self-pity like many players would do. He gave it his all and contributed when he was called upon to do so.

Personally, I think Paulus would make a great coach. But best of luck to him with the Saints tryouts! We're wishing you well Greg!

Edit:
    He certainly did not excel as a player
    Paulus wasn't a super star, but he was a serviceable player in his four years at Duke. He averaged 8.6 PPG, 3.4 APG, shot 42% from the field and 40% from three point land, and 78% from the free throw stripe. Those are certainly solid numbers. I'd also almost guarantee you Paulus was a better player than Coach K was at Army, and Coach K has turned out all right. Bob Knight in interviews constantly says he "told Mike not to shoot. That wasn't his role and he understood it better than any other player I've ever coached" (slightly paraphrasing...)
    Last edited by Bluedog; 05-08-2010 at 12:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Paulus wasn't a super star, but he was a serviceable player in his four years at Duke. He averaged 8.6 PPG, 3.4 APG, shot 42% from the field and 40% from three point land, and 78% from the free throw stripe. Those are certainly solid numbers. I'd also almost guarantee you Paulus was a better player than Coach K was at Army, and Coach K has turned out all right. Bob Knight in interviews constantly says he "told Mike not to shoot. That wasn't his role and he understood it better than any other player I've ever coached" (slightly paraphrasing...)
    Paulus was also a glaring defensive liability. Undersized, slow, no hops. His shooting wasn't terrible. When he didn't have JJ and Shelden to throw the ball to, he wasn't that great at passing. I defended this guy during his playing days vehemently because I want to root for Duke, but in hindsight, I just don't think he was great for the program.