Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Class of '94 View Post
    This may have already been covered in another thread; but I read articles in the Durham paper and on espn about Carrick making the decision not to attend Duke af few days after he signed a letter of intent to play at Duke because it didn't feel right in his heart. So my question is, "What's the real reason for Carrick turning down the scholarship"? He denied it being an academic issue. Was it that or did either he or his girlfriend not like the area? Or did he become concerned about playing time based on incoming recruits or who Duke was recruiting?
    I don't think you'll see anything definitive from the Duke side on this; as has been noted, it's not Coach K's style to do anything other than wish a departing player well.

I've read that Carrick failed to reach some of the academic markers the staff had set out for him. Though he could have enrolled at Duke, he still needed to clean up some work at College of Southern Idaho.

In addition, he apparently has a close relationship with a girl friend who will join him in Tempe (would that have been the case in Durham?), and Kyle Singler's return changed the short-term outlook for playing time.

So, the "real reason"? Some combination of the above could well have brought on that "feeling" by Carrick that he would be better off somewhere else.

That's okay IMO. Better to have the player make a decision like that before starting at Duke than to have a problem with eligibility or being unhappy later on.

I hope he does well at Arizona State.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    I don't think you'll see anything definitive from the Duke side on this; as has been noted, it's not Coach K's style to do anything other than wish a departing player well.

I've read that Carrick failed to reach some of the academic markers the staff had set out for him. Though he could have enrolled at Duke, he still needed to clean up some work at College of Southern Idaho.

In addition, he apparently has a close relationship with a girl friend who will join him in Tempe (would that have been the case in Durham?), and Kyle Singler's return changed the short-term outlook for playing time.

So, the "real reason"? Some combination of the above could well have brought on that "feeling" by Carrick that he would be better off somewhere else.

That's okay IMO. Better to have the player make a decision like that before starting at Duke than to have a problem with eligibility or being unhappy later on.

Very true....Thanks Roywhite for your insight.

Good points here. I have also heard some rumors about his academic standing at CSI and when trying to enroll at Duke.

I agree that it is much better to have this happen now and it is obvious that Carrick has no hard feelings toward Duke. I know that overall, Duke has no hard feelins toward him either. Truly a clean break and I wish him the best at ASU.

Carrick Felix is just not that into Duke

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I have no problem with that. It's better that he made the decision that he would be happy with now than question himself and not be happy in the future. I'm sure some will translate his thoughts as a knock against Duke, I don't take it that way..he knew he wouldn't be comfortable there. Just ask any divorced man if he could go back and do it again, would he still marry that same beautiful woman.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I'm glad he realized this now and wouldn't have to suffer sitting out a year because of transferring or anything. Best of luck to him

"But they understood and they talked it out with me and tried to help me find a different school."

Isn't that exactly how ol' roy handled the Wears' decision?

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    "But they understood and they talked it out with me and tried to help me find a different school."

Isn't that exactly how ol' roy handled the Wears' decision?
    LOL. But I don't think Roy was given much of a chance to do ANYTHING. 'Cept gripe, that is.

Nothing wrong with that. Duke isn't a perfect fit for everyone, and it appears that it wasn't a perfect fit for Duke.

Further, with Singler returning and with the recruiting successes building up again, it looks like the wing forward spot might be a bit crowded. So if it's not a great fit and there's a real chance you aren't going to get regular playing time, it's completely understandable to go somewhere else.

If Felix really wasn't feeling Duke, it's best for him and for Duke that he recognized this and corrected a mistake before too much time was lost. Best of luck to him at ASU. He's got a better shot at PT there, and hopefully it's a better fit for him.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Further, with Singler returning and with the recruiting successes building up again, it looks like the wing forward spot might be a bit crowded.
    what are you talking about? singler will play down low
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    what are you talking about? singler will play down low
    Disagree. But that discussion has been beaten to death in other threads.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Disagree. But that discussion has been beaten to death in other threads.
    I think he was being sarcastic.

It's more like he's just not that into the playing time he would've received at Duke. Now that everything is over with, he can say whatever he wants but I have a feeling if Kyle hadn't returned, he'd be a happy Blue Devil right about now. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    I think he was being sarcastic.
    Ah, my bad. My internet sarcasm radar is terrible.

Carrick Felix leads ASU to victory over E.J. and the Ducks

Nice to see Felix have a good game; I'm rooting for the guy even though things didn't work out for him with Duke.

Singler and Sendek were other familiar names involved in this game.

Nice to see Felix have a good game; I'm rooting for the guy even though things didn't work out for him with Duke.
    It looks like Carrick had season, and therefore career, highs in pretty much everything vs Oregon. Prior to that game, CF's presence was limited to about 10+ mpg and around 3ppg and about 1rpg, very quiet numbers. His FG% was/is pretty decent but his 3FG% is terrible (14%) though he doesn't shoot the 3 very much.
    Sounds like CF has an interesting story coming into DI ball and I hope he does well at ASU.

Talking Lineup Shakeup at ASU??

Carrick Felix leads ASU to victory over E.J. and the Ducks

Singler and Sendek were other familiar names involved in this game.
    For the record, Carrick started and was 19 and 6 in 34 minutes. The link on the front page gave Sendek's view of the total lack of effort by the Sun Devils against OSU the night before. Looks like Herb shook up the lineup to good effect. Congrats to Felix el Gato.

sagegrouse