Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Getting to know Carrick Felix

Carrick Felix is a player not too may folks know a lot about, but this article might give you some insight on how his recruitment took place and what he went through to get to Duke.

Felix will be on campus later this month to start his workouts.

http://bluedevilnation.net/2010/05/c...enges-at-duke/

Quote Originally Posted by watzone View Post
    Carrick Felix is a player not too may folks know a lot about, but this article might give you some insight on how his recruitment took place and what he went through to get to Duke.

Thanks, as always.

Nice article, Mark. Thanks.

I wonder how he wound up in Junior College to begin with? He talks about beginning to emphasize academics later in life, but I'm surprised that a school with less stringent academic requirements didn't snap him up out of high school.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyoster View Post
    I wonder how he wound up in Junior College to begin with? He talks about beginning to emphasize academics later in life, but I'm surprised that a school with less stringent academic requirements didn't snap him up out of high school.
    Just from what I've read, but Carrick apparently had some recruiting interest coming out of high school, but thought that going to JC would give him a chance to develop and perhaps reach a higher level program.

I'll really be rooting for this guy; good story and good addition to the team.

Well that is what I meant when I called him a diamond in the rough. I think he wanted to attend a major college but needed the work at a junior college. FWIW, Southern Idaho is a big deal in a state with only the Vandals. Felix is a late bloomer who is fulfilling his potential. He is an excellent student now and his experiences seem to be serving him well.

He was not academically eligible coming out of high school to play in the NCAA according to this article:

As a high school senior, Felix averaged 19.7 points and 13.2 rebounds in leading Millennium to the title. But a poor academic showing during his freshman and sophomore years left his core GPA just short of NCAA Clearinghouse standards.
    http://www.magicvalley.com/sports/ar...995546a78.html

He has since righted the ship, though, and focused on his academics a lot more. He got a 3.0 GPA at Southern Idaho. Sounds like a good guy and glad to have him on board. Thanks for the interview!

Aside from Az State, we had not heard much about the other schools that were involved for Felix.

...being courted by Arizona, Arizona State, Washington from the Pac 10 and Maryland and Clemson from the ACC not to mention West Virginia.
    Thanks for this list, 'Zone!

--Jason "love the confidence from Felix" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Everybody likes a straight-arrow kid, always gets good grades, always does the right thing. But I have to admit that I have always been partial to the kid who starts out wrong, realizes it, and then comes back strong in the right direction. It is sort of like competing with one hand tied behind your back. Many are unable to do it, but, for those who succeed, I think a lot of doors open. I hope this young man is a success in whatever he wants to do. I am betting that he will be.

off season conditioning drills ... will be conducted by ... Nate James who will hold down the fort while Krzyzewski and his assistants Chris Collins and Steve Wojciechowski will be in Las Vegas training Team USA ...
    Nate is really making an impression as an assistant. Something tells me he will be "motivational" during the conditioning, again impressing Coach K. CC is involved in training as well isn't he?

Thanks so much for the free article; it is tough when you cannot really spend the money on premium things, so this sort of thing is doubly appreciated. Thanks!

With all the talent we have surrounding him and he needs to do is initially is finish fast break and garbage and play mad man defense. I am confident he can do this from day one.

KI
    Austin
    Dawkins
    Felix
    Plumlee

Wow, that is one sick team.....

Quote Originally Posted by Cockabeau View Post
    KI
    Austin
    Dawkins
    Felix
    Plumlee

That doesn't even exist yet...

Quote Originally Posted by Cockabeau View Post
    With all the talent we have surrounding him and he needs to do is initially is finish fast break and garbage and play mad man defense. I am confident he can do this from day one.

KI
    Austin
    Dawkins
    Felix
    Plumlee

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    That doesn't even exist yet...
    And I thought you had TT as an All-American. Tough to become an All-American without starting.

Thanks for the article, Mark. Always good to know the person behind the game. I'd move to hear some more from Tyler, Josh, and Kyrie as well.

the athletic talent seems to be there. he sounds raw but also very coachable and willing.

players that get along make good teams. happy to hear this report from felix about everyone being welcoming.

great quote about being a student athlete first. hope he can find a way to excel at duke.

would love for this guy to take up the mantle of mcclure and thomas. lock down defender, glue guy, hard worker, rebounder.

funny how duke has the silver spoon image, but they don't get credit for the workmanlike effort that goes into each player's success. some players, like maggette, enter duke with a Kentucky-under-Coach Cal-level of talent. But most do not. It's one thing that inspires me about duke bball. The people that work really hard achieve.

Thanks for the article. It was interesting to read about Carrick's father's military background. If I'm not mistaken, that's something he has in common with Nate.

sounds like this kid has the right attitude and sounded very genuine in this article.

Quote Originally Posted by ElSid View Post
    the athletic talent seems to be there. he sounds raw but also very coachable and willing.

players that get along make good teams. happy to hear this report from felix about everyone being welcoming.

great quote about being a student athlete first. hope he can find a way to excel at duke.

would love for this guy to take up the mantle of mcclure and thomas. lock down defender, glue guy, hard worker, rebounder.

funny how duke has the silver spoon image, but they don't get credit for the workmanlike effort that goes into each player's success. some players, like maggette, enter duke with a Kentucky-under-Coach Cal-level of talent. But most do not. It's one thing that inspires me about duke bball. The people that work really hard achieve.

Nothing wrong with being raw when you're goin to be playing behind the NPOY front runner and a team that goes 10-11 deep. He'll get his 5-10 minutes a game and will contiune to progress throughout the season. I'm excited to have him!

Thanks for sharing!