Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

UVA Lacrosse Tragedy

Within the last fifteen minutes, AP reported the following:
    1) A UVa men's lacrosse player has been charged with first-degree murder in the death of a women's lacrosse player.
    2) Charlottesville police said that 22-year-old George Huguely is charged in the death of 22-year-old Yeardley Love; both are seniors.

Given Duke's experiences with erroneous and premature judgments concerning serious crimes, I urge everyone to be judicious in his pronouncements.

In my opinion, UVa is the presumptive #1 seed in this year’s NCAA Men's LAX Tournament; the selection decisions will be announced (ESPNU) next Sunday.

This would probably be better described as a tragedy for the women's lacrosse team than a problem for the men's team.

With respect, Duvall, I suspect it is a tragedy for all parties, and an even more horrible one if it is true. I am truly not trying to pick "nits" with this comment -- I fear it will be awful for UVa, the individuals directly involved, the teams, the families, the coaches, their friends and classmates, and SO MANY others.

premature death is always a tragedy.

let's hope the justice system works in this case.

Goodness, what an awful development.

Will await further news, but what a tragedy.

Agreed - terrible tragedy.

Maybe change thread title to "UVA lacrosse tragedy"?

Terrible news and a tragedy. It appears the two were in a relationship.

It will be very interesting to hear the rest of the details of this event. There are lots of questions that many people currently have. Please, though, like other have said, wait before all details are released before judgments and notions are made. We all know the feeling of being judged before all facts are released.

God be with the families involved in this situation and all at the University of Virginia.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Agreed - terrible tragedy.

Maybe change thread title to "UVA lacrosse tragedy"?
    Yeah, I would tend to agree that the title doesn't really accurately represent what happened.

As far as what happened (or what we know of it so far) its absolutely terrible. I would have been graduating this year if I hadn't transferred...it makes it even sadder when you consider that they were this close to graduating (unless they were taking 5 years for athletics). I can't imagine what its like for their friends. Truly awful.

I lived on the same street as the apartment where Ms. Love's body was found during my first year of law school. It's shocking to think about a murder occurring there. I feel awful for all of Ms. Love's family and friends, and the University community, in general. What an awful thing to happen so close to graduation.

Agreed. What needs to be emphasized here is:

1. This is a tragedy because of Ms. Love's loss.

2. Mr. Huguely is innocent until proven guilty and we need to wait for the facts to come out.

3. This is a human tragedy (her death). The fact that it affects the lacrosse teams is incidental to the real magnitude of the situation.
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

Washington Post story

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/loc...isrc=nl_sports

Obviously a very sad situation, especially for the young lady's family. 'can't imagine what they must be going through.
    Last edited by -jk; 05-05-2010 at 11:28 AM. Reason: too soon

This is so unbelievably tragic, words are inadequate to express just how awful it is. Here is the Washington Post's initial report: http://voices.washingtonpost.com/cri...-homicide.html

Condolences and prayers for the family and friends of Ms. Love as they deal with this tragic loss.

Prayers also for the family and friends of Mr. Huguely as they struggle to come to grips with the situation and wait for a final determination of what occurred.

Quote Originally Posted by loran16 View Post
    Agreed. What needs to be emphasized here is:

1. This is a tragedy because of Ms. Love's loss.

2. Mr. Huguely is presumed innocent until proven guilty and we need to wait for the facts to come out.

3. This is a human tragedy (her death). The fact that it affects the lacrosse teams is incidental to the real magnitude of the situation.
    Above in bold, a non-trivial correction/distinction. He may not actually be innocent, but in the eyes of the law, the presumption of innocence is the default position unless and until a conviction.

On #3, I agree fully, and hope that a certain coach who compared a bad season to the Haitian earthquake would also.

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post

On #3, I agree fully, and hope that a certain coach who compared a bad season to the Haitian earthquake would also.
    That's a great point, we have to remember there are so many things that make sports pale in comparison.

Here is an article and video from ESPN:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5158985

Thumbs down Well...

Quote Originally Posted by Big Pappa View Post
    Here is an article and video from ESPN:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5158985
    And, of course, they screwed it up, saying that Huguely attended the same prep school as the accused in the Duke lacrosse case. Uh, no... Only David Evans attended Landon School in Bethesda, MD.

The reason for the linkage is that Huguely was quoted by the Wash Post as defending Evans during that period.

sagegrouse

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Thoughts and prayers to all involved with this. Like any tragedy of this magnitude, the impact with be far reaching across family members, classmates, teammates, and friends of both. Just a tragic situation and 22 is way too young to die...

This is just so sad to see. I don't even know what to say.

What a tragedy...no words. Our Duke WLAX players have played with and against Yeardley through the years. Love and prayers to the Love family and to all that knew Yeardley.