21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Beatboxing Blake

1 4.76%
  • Sparkling Jordin

12 57.14%
  • Who cares? Melinda was best and got robbed last week

8 38.10%

Idol- discussion and who won?

I am a huge Blake fan, but Jordan was better last night and she should be the winner. DialIdol has it as a blowout, but I knew she would win after Blake sang that last song. He did fine, but it was not a song to highlight his strengths. On the other hand, it was right in her wheelhouse.

Vote in the poll.

-Jason

Jordin Won

I have been a big fan of both Blake and Jordin from the beginning. They've always been my top 2 and going into last night I didn't care who won. I still feel that way, but as soon as Jordin sang the first line of the last song, I said to myself, she just won.

It might not be fair to Blake that the outcome will be decided on a song that he'd never record, but I think he really lost it by doing another Maroon 5 song as his "never done before" choice. He had just done one last week and he didn't sing this one as well. He should have chosen something more "fresh" for him that showcased his talents better. I don't think Jordin sang the Christina Aguilera song so well, but it still was better than Blake's Maroon 5 song. They both performed their "previously done" song extremely well.

Blake just had more to overcome or "sell" to the public and his best chance was the Maroon 5 song - and he whiffed.

I think he may sell more records though.

Does anyone really care?

For better or worse, yes.

100 million votes probably this week, top rated show - arguably the most influential show ever in terms of ratings and TV schedules.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Does anyone really care?
    Sheesh, my wife does. She has been in mourning ever since Melinda got the boot, but last night she changed her tune, and voted, several times, for Jordin. That would be my preference, too, but tonight I'll find something else to watch until the very end of the show. Are the Braves on?

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Does anyone really care?
    Yes, more people care then are willing to admit. This show is such a guilty pleasure for many. Females do not seem to have a problem saying they watch, but I don't think men will very openly admit it. I have looked forward to Jason's Idol posts every week! Even though I do not post often, trust me I read the boards a lot!

My feelings on this season, it was kinda weird to begin with. Once they got some of the worse singers off it turned better. I was very happy with the final 3. I did not agree with the order some left before that, but in the end I felt it was how it should be.

*Melinda- hands down had the best voice of all, with her leaving early it will allow her to build a career the way she chooses versus being molded how they want her. She does not really fit pop music, but I can hear her on an adult contemporary type station. She has proven she belongs on the front of the stage instead of the back. Her not being in the finals is a blessing the same way it was to Chris Daughtry.

*Jordin- She is the most marketable female who was on there. She is a beautiful young lady and presents herself well. She will be a great role model for young girls. As the judges have said all along, for her to be only 17 she has an amazing voice and it will only improve as she grows older. She has staying power as a recording artist too, I think. I hope she is the one who wins tonight.

*Blake - Wow...he really has wonderful creativity. Not the strongest of the male singers, but he is fun to watch. He keeps you guessing what he will do next. Sometimes he hits a home run with his beat-boxing and sometimes it's a strike out. He is not afraid of a challenge. It will be exciting to see what he does on his own album. He has unique way of bringing an old song up to date!

Well....

I will admit that I have always been a big American Idol fan until this year. Sad to say, but after Sanjaya got voted off I quit watching. I only watched him bc it was funny!!! Frankly, I'm glad it's over and I'm ready for next years tryouts. Hopefully, they will not choose such lame genres of music next year.

Quote Originally Posted by crazie4duke View Post
    *Melinda- hands down had the best voice of all, with her leaving early it will allow her to build a career the way she chooses versus being molded how they want her. She does not really fit pop music, but I can hear her on an adult contemporary type station. She has proven she belongs on the front of the stage instead of the back. Her not being in the finals is a blessing the same way it was to Chris Daughtry.
    People love this argument, but it doesn't really hold water. ALL of them have to sign with 19 management to be on the show. They can't sign with somebody else if they come in third, or fourth, or I believe even twelfth. So it's not like by not winning, Melinda is "free" to do her own thing and can avoid their influence on her career. No more than Clay, Bo, Elliot, and yes, even Chris could. I have to say, though, that I agree most of them are better off without the lable of "American Idol". I always thought Bo looked so relieved when he didn't win! You lose a little rocker cred that way.

Also, just because somebody wins Idol doesn't mean they have to fit pop music. Reuben and Fantasia never did. They're firmly in the R&B world. And Carrie is definitely country. I don't hear her stuff crossing over very much. Perhaps in the future, but that's not how they forced her to go initially. So really Kelly and Taylor are the only ones on the true pop wagon.

As far as Melinda goes, she will have a fabulous career. She was by far the most skilled and vocally talented singer, the most polished performer, and the most (dear lord, I'm going to sound like Randy Jackson) professional contestent.