Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Smile Holy, moly! Look at the Women Golfers

After languishing in sixth place on the first day, a slew of birdies in the early holes today has pushed the Blue Devils into a tie for the lead.

See details at
    http://www.golfstatresults.com//publ...tail7_973.html

Sage Grouse

Smile Now in the lead...

With a score so far of -5 vs +2 for first day leader USC.

Sage Grouse

Smile You can't make this stuff up...

After the morning round (1/2 the teams just about finished), Duke is five strokes ahead (at +11) of UCLA (playing holes 14-17) and 12 strokes ahead of anyone else playing the AM round.

UNC and Louisville are just starting and began the day at +9. If they match their first round scores, they would trail Duke by seven strokes.

Duke gained 19 strokes on first round leader USC. The teams were playing in the same foursomes, so the undercurrent must have been interesting.

Duke was incredibly consistent today, posting rounds of -2, E, E, +1, +1.

Amanda Blumenhurst, who is currently tied for the individual lead, had the WORST score on the Duke team today going into the 18th hole, which she then birdied.

I don't know if anyone is reading these posts...

Sage Grouse

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    I don't know if anyone is reading these posts...
    I sure am. Thanks for keeping us updated and for the link!

5. Sweet -- go women's golf!

Go Dores

Looks like Vanderbilt's making a run -- since Sagegrouse's last post, they've moved from 6th into 2nd, and are on holes 5-8 at only 5 shots back. Guess it's a good day on the course for making some birdies and pars.

Now I'm a Duke-first sort of gal, but would love to see my Commodore ladies come in a close second!

Oh, and too bad for the teams (including the 'heel's) still on the course -- the weather notice on the site currently reads: The sun has come out again with some high clouds, but the winds have picked up significantly as compared to earlier this morning.
    Last edited by DevilAlumna; 05-23-2007 at 03:36 PM. Reason: Added weather update

My second favorite part of today's results (other than Duke moving into first) would have to be seeing UNC at +12 for the day with golfers on holes 6-8. Love it.

are there 2 rounds or 4?

Smile [Gasp!] Total UNC Meltdown

The Lady Tarheels are +17 halfway through the round... but it is worse than that! Their five players are a collective +27 after only 44 holes. (Hey, that equates to an eleven handicap, which is better than mine.) Three different players have made triple bogeys, so, by definition, at least two of those will count in their score for the tourney.

This is a four-day tournament. The regionals were three-day events, IIRC. So, there are lots of opportunities for big swings in the scores before the champion is crowned.

Sage Grouse
    'It would really be great to win three NCAAs in a row'

Smile

Holy Niblick, Putterman!!!!

Tee Times

It looks like Duke will finish Day 2 in the lead by 7 shots over UCLA.

Individually the Duke women are tied for 1st, 12th, 15th, and 2 at 23rd.

Go Duke

SoCal

NCAA Women's Golf Standings After Day 2

The Duke women jumped into the lead today, and currently are ahead of second-place UCLA by seven strokes. There are a few teams left on the course, but it looks like the Duke women will be the only team to post a score under par. They were -1 for the day, and are +11 overall. Anna Grzebein recovered from shooting +8 yesterday to shoot -2 today, and two other Duke golfers shot even par. Nobody for Duke shot worse than +1 today. No teams were under par yesterday, so they're the only team so far to post a round under par in the whole tournament.

Southern California led at the end of yesterday's round with a score of +7, and UNC and Louisville were tied for second at +9. None of them shot terribly well today, though. Southern Cal finished +18 for the day and is +25 overall, good for fifth place. Louisville also finished +18 for the day for the day and is +27 overall, and is now in seventh place. And the Heels are still on the course at +36 for the day (ouch) and +45 overall, dropping them to 20th place.

Other good rounds were turned in today by UCLA (+3) and Purdue (+6) -- not coincidentally, those two teams are now second and third in the tournament. Arizona State (the #2 seed in the tournament) shot +10 and is +29 overall, tied for eighth.

You can follow the results here:

http://www.golfstatresults.com/publi...c/team973.html
    Last edited by Tom B.; 05-23-2007 at 06:57 PM.

I was tracking the scores throughout the afternoon. I have to admit that I'm a little disturbed by how much I enjoyed watching the progress of UNC's meltdown. It was spectacular. At this point, Duke's worst individual score is better than UNC's best. Ha. Go Duke!

Isn't this very similar to the comeback they made in the Eastern Regionals.

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Isn't this very similar to the comeback they made in the Eastern Regionals.
    That comeback was made on the last day, much more dramatic. There is still a lot of golf to play in the NCAAs.

Big difference a day makes

Yesterday I perused the scores for the opening round, noticing the Duke women had some unusally high scores. Truly, I thought they'd play much better today, which they did. I had no idea the competition would crumble like Feta. The Duke women just blitzed the field today as they threw out a 73 while many teams would've killed for a 78 and had to count an 80. In college golf you play 5 and count the 4 best scores each day. So the Duke women just crushed the field today, no other way to put it. Two more days to go. Let's GO DUKE!!! I've met the women on the team and they're worthy of our support, plus the coach is a friend of mine. I'm also trying to become the men's coach since my coach passed because of Leukemia March 30. I love Duke athletics, period. GO DUKE!!!

Red face Correction: Amanda Was Third at -1

Christel Boeljon of Purdue closed with three birdies in the last few holes to take the overall lead at -3. Stacy Lewis also rallied to take second at -2 (but in today's play has dropped a stroke).

Amanda is now in a tie for second. The Duke players tee off between 1:20 and 2:00 (Amanda) and are in foursomes with golfers from UCLA, Vandy and Arizona State.

Go Devils!

Sage Grouse

Smile Off to fast start in round 3

Three under after holes 2-5 vs. even par for Purdue and UCLA. Everyone else in the field is over par.

[UNC was +23 for the completed round.]

Sage Grouse

Duke slowly pulling away.

Ten ahead of Purdue, eleven ahead of UCLA. Lots of golf yet to play but looking solid.

http://www.golfstatresults.com//publ...c/team973.html

At the end of 3 rounds, Duke leads Purdue by 8 strokes.