Page 7 of 41 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by billyj View Post
    I am guessing Harrison Barnes is expected to play significant minute at the 4, thus Wears leaving?
    Switch the two halves of that sentence around, and you'll arrive at the hilariously ironic truth!

Oh, karma.

Now if Zeller breaks his wrist brushing his teeth in the offseason... UNC will be in dire straits. Can you imagine a Drew/Strickland/Bullock/Barnes/Henson line up haha

wow

this one seems real.

UNC is going to be a joke under the basket next season. Zeller, Henson, and Barnes better bulk up and stay healthy. It's all they got. Right?

This is gonna force Barnes to play out of position a lot next year. Sigh. I almost feel bad. I'd rather beat them senseless when they're at full strength.

Quote Originally Posted by ElSid View Post
    this one seems real.

UNC is going to be a joke under the basket next season. Zeller, Henson, and Barnes better bulk up and stay healthy. It's all they got. Right?

This is gonna force Barnes to play out of position a lot next year. Sigh. I almost feel bad. I'd rather beat them senseless when they're at full strength.
    ESPN blogged about it....lending it some credibility...i'm sure we'll here more tomorrow once the brothers are done with exams
    April 1

I'm really excited about Henson playing the 5 when Zeller gets into foul trouble (or, by seeing his history, injured). As I'm sure the Brothers Plumlee will get even bigger, it will be really interesting to see how Henson holds his own.

UNC next year could very well be like Duke a few years back when we didn't have a reliable frontcourt and teams punished us for it multiple times.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

First time I've done this - went to IC and read on the transfer. They are mad, confused, and irritated.

My favorite quote from the thread: "Oh, and everyone give the finger to the [euphemism for Duke fans] reading this."

Stay classy UNC, stay classy.
    Last edited by JBDuke; 05-06-2010 at 08:40 AM. Reason: edited for language filter concerns
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Where, oh Wear, has all that UNC frontcourt depth gone?

I'm curious about how this news is received at the Barnes home in Ames, Iowa. Surely his role will not be what he expected. Instead of roaming the perimeter looking for points, HB will need to play inside for the most part.

Does Roy have an opportunity to get another uncommitted High school big guy (or two)? Are there any good ones left?

First of all, WHO TOLD YA THIS WAS COMING?!?!?! That's right, sportsfans! ME!!!

Second, Roy will adopt a "run or die" gameplan where they try to take height out of the equation by moving up and down the floor so fast. It may work ok for him against some teams and allow Carolina to be good enough to make the dance and perhaps even be in the top 25 at times. I am not sure how more running will fit with Drew II and Marshall's style of play. It could be turnover central again, that's for sure. Even with the perimeter talent and a commitment to pick up the pace and make size less of a factor, I have a hard time seeing them really competing with the best teams in the land next season.

I also expect Roy to comb the landscape for a juco or some remaining uncommitted big man recruit. I bet phone calls have already been made to Kadeem Jack , Luke Cothron (who was once involved with NC State), and Papa Samba Ndao (who was headed to BC before Skinner left and is now a free agent).

--Jason "wow, even though I posted it could happen a few days ago, I did not really believe it" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

How will Roy portray the double-Wear transfer? Woe is me?

It's probably not on the order of a Haiti earthquake, but surely this is as bad as the Tennessee floods or that oil slick thing in the Gulf?
    Last edited by JBDuke; 05-06-2010 at 08:41 AM. Reason: typo

transfers

When some one from our team transfers, Coach K is blamed by the media and UNC fans alike for running the players out of Durham. This happened with EWill although it's a common knowledge that he had a strong medical reason to do so.

Now what, should we pile on Roy Williams for running (ruining) Wear twins out of hill? I thought they were the most fundamentally sound of all the freshmen that came in last year on UNC team.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    How will Roy portray the double-Ware transfer? Woe is me?

It's probably not on the order of a Haiti earthquake, but surely this is as bad as the Tennessee floods or that oil slick thing in the Gulf?
    POTD!!
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by IBleedBlue View Post
    When some one from our team transfers, Coach K is blamed by the media and UNC fans alike for running the players out of Durham. This happened with EWill although it's a common knowledge that he had a strong medical reason to do so.

Now what, should we pile on Roy Williams for running (ruining) Wear twins out of hill? I thought they were the most fundamentally sound of all the freshmen that came in last year on UNC team.
    Started a thread on this subject... It will be interesting to see the difference in perceptions.

Quote Originally Posted by ElSid View Post
    this one seems real.

I am happy to beat them senseless anytime: morning, afternoon, evening, full/half/quarter strength, etc.

Three things.

1) Zeller hasn't shown that he is able to play an entire season without injury. If he can't stay healthy, an already thin front court will be really tHen, son.

2) tHenson got pulled out of almost every close game last year in the last 6-8 minutes either because he was such a liability on the free throw line or he just didn't have the stamina to play an entire game. I wonder if he can play those crucial minutes down the stretch this year when the Heels are trying to close a 8 point gap against Rutgers in MSG.

3) My how the tables have turned. Karma is a beyotch.

Small team

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Second, Roy will adopt a "run or die" gameplan where they try to take height out of the equation by moving up and down the floor so fast. It may work ok for him against some teams and allow Carolina to be good enough to make the dance and perhaps even be in the top 25 at times. I am not sure how more running will fit with Drew II and Marshall's style of play. It could be turnover central again, that's for sure. Even with the perimeter talent and a commitment to pick up the pace and make size less of a factor, I have a hard time seeing them really competing with the best teams in the land next season.

I also expect Roy to comb the landscape for a juco or some remaining uncommitted big man recruit. I bet phone calls have already been made to Kadeem Jack , Luke Cothron (who was once involved with NC State), and Papa Samba Ndao (who was headed to BC before Skinner left and is now a free agent).
    I wonder if Neil Fingleton has any eligibility left? (Roy: hint, he's living in Durham, England.)

That's a very small roster. Luckily, UNC has a coach who can adapt his system to any kind of roster . . .

I agree that Roy will have them play up tempo, but of course he always does. Playing Barnes at the 4 will definitely create match up problems for the other team. I wonder how this roster will fit into Carolina's defensive scheme.

Still, it's a team with 7 McDonald's all Americans, at least for now.

Lastly, let me remind you that about a year ago we were all wondering how Duke would survive with only three perimeter players, one of whom had not really played on the perimeter much during his college career. Look how that worked out!

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Lastly, let me remind you that about a year ago we were all wondering how Duke would survive with only three perimeter players, one of whom had not really played on the perimeter much during his college career. Look how that worked out!
    We both know Roy aint K, (especially after last yr) so Im not overly worried at the moment about that, not now anyway. I just kinda doubt he has been struck by divine inspiration to stitch everything together overnite, in light of last years performance...

What really concerns me... is wether or not Cal takes a Pro job, leaving his UK players to be scooped up by somone... not a fan of that scenario.

After soo much recent success and listening to light blue blow hards... they are due for some pain and misery.

Quote Originally Posted by airowe View Post
    Three things.

1) Zeller hasn't shown that he is able to play an entire season without injury. If he can't stay healthy, an already thin front court will be really tHen, son.

2) tHenson got pulled out of almost every close game last year in the last 6-8 minutes either because he was such a liability on the free throw line or he just didn't have the stamina to play an entire game. I wonder if he can play those crucial minutes down the stretch this year when the Heels are trying to close a 8 point gap against Rutgers in MSG.

3) My how the tables have turned. Karma is a beyotch.
    On the other hand, this now eliminates that pesky scholarship situation with regard to Rivers...

If this is true, then UNC will be REALLY small next year. I'd have to expect Graves and Barnes to see quite a bit of time at the 4, with Henson playing at the 5 a lot too. That's not ideal. It'll put a lot of pressure on pretty much everyone. I'm sure Williams will try even harder to push tempo, as he'll only have two bigs (unless something shocking happens last-minute) and both would prefer to play up-tempo anyway.

The one cloud over this is that it does open the door for UNC with regard to recruiting for the 2011-12 freshman class, whomever they may be able to get.

Wherever the wind blows and the leaves dance.

Thumbs down UNC

LMAO. So the question is did Roy run them out because they are role players or did they want off the sinking USS Roy? Neither seems to really make sense to me so maybe its a combo, they found each other severely lacking. That scenario works for everyone including myself.

i wonder if Roy makes a late push for a JC kid, or even Marcus Thornton. I think Thornton is waiting around to hear from Kentucky if Terrence Jones decides on Washington - Roy may make a call to him.
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.