Page 6 of 41 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by cbnaylor View Post
    Well I don't know what games you have been watching, but Harrison doesn't look like G! I've been actually surprised that he can't drive to the lane like Wade or Kobe. Can he....maybe but I haven't seen what you are talking about. This guy can shoot though and is one heck of a rebounder but I believe you might be climbing a little to high when you say he can drive in the lane like LB, Kobe, or Wade. Just to let you know though....Duke has somebody that can.....Irving!
    Based on a sample size of two (and yes, I realize that this is not a reasonable sample size) and based on the scouting reports (none of which gush about his athleticism), I'd agree that the Henderson comparisons aren't at all apt. Barnes didn't look like an explosive athlete in either of the all-star games I saw.

Instead, from what I've seen, he's looked very smooth in transition, with a tremendous shooting touch and a knack for getting rebounds. I haven't seen much to suggest he's great at creating/attacking off the dribble in the two games I saw. That's not to suggest that he doesn't have those attributes. But I wouldn't say it based on what I've seen. And I'm guessing that Kong hasn't been to too many of Barnes's other games in Iowa to have a good idea on this.
    Last edited by CDu; 05-03-2010 at 04:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    No, and God no. Those two will hardly see the court next year.
    Well, having expressed on several occasions my perplexity that rumors about an impending McDonald transfer are not already swirling, I can hardly totally disagree with "God no." Not totally. Still, if LM sticks around and doesn't redshirt [maybe "hardly see the court" refers to that possibility, for either??], he'll play 7-10 mpg. Strickland, I'd think a bit more.

Are you saying now that they don't need Strickland to play backup PG, his true worth[lessness??] will be revealed? Roy's got lots of interchangeable parts on wing. I assume HB [talent extraordinaire] and Graves [experience and 3-bombs] will play a lot, with depth from Bullock, Strickland, and McDonald.

Given Roy's frequent substitutions, absent redshirting for either "No" or "God no," I say they both play some. We'll see. Until then, we'll argue. From a position of enhanced-by-NC-serenity.

Sorry guys, guess I am a bad fan. I rarely read their name and just associated it with Mike Weir, the golfer.

No problem

Quote Originally Posted by kong123 View Post
    Sorry guys, guess I am a bad fan. I rarely read their name and just associated it with Mike Weir, the golfer.
    Count me in the camp that thinks the Wears are decent, but not great, players. Hard to say how they develop. They could turn out to be quite good, and even play in the NBA someday.

Of course, I used to think that Jason Evans might be right when he said Shavlik Randolph's jersey would hang from the rafters some day.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Count me in the camp that thinks the Wears are decent, but not great, players. Hard to say how they develop. They could turn out to be quite good, and even play in the NBA someday.

Of course, I used to think that Jason Evans might be right when he said Shavlik Randolph's jersey would hang from the rafters some day.
    Poor, Shav. He really was the best player on the court in the '04 game against UCONN...before the refs took over the game (both ways). I really was looking forward to seeing him fully fit the following year...

I think the Wears show plenty of promise to develop into very servicable players in the future. The sibling rival tendency and 3 years of development will turn them into solid contributors, although I'm not sure the Carolina faithful will be satisfied with 'solid contributors.'

Either way, the PlumTrees > The Wears...

Quote Originally Posted by JohnGalt View Post
    Poor, Shav. He really was the best player on the court in the '04 game against UCONN...before the refs took over the game (both ways). I really was looking forward to seeing him fully fit the following year...

I think the Wears show plenty of promise to develop into very servicable players in the future. The sibling rival tendency and 3 years of development will turn them into solid contributors, although I'm not sure the Carolina faithful will be satisfied with 'solid contributors.'

Either way, the PlumTrees > The Wears...
    I have scanned this post, and I do not remember seeing anyone say that the twins will not be solid contributors. I think they can be at some point. Role players yes, stars doubtful.

Let's not forget one of UNC major issues last year was team scoring. We held them in the 50's both games, and a lot of that had to do with their poor team chemistry, that resulted in poor decision making (shot selection), poor shooting and turnovers. Our our great defense was a major factor, but they struggled in most other games as well. Just because guys like Harrison can put the ball in the basket, doesn't mean that this will fix those problems. Ball pressure on the point and good defensive rotation will be a tough adjustment for the frosh at UNC, it is for almost every frosh everywhere. I would temper my expectations until I see how this team plays together. Some of you may remember me coming down hard on UNC early last year after UNC wins over some poor competition. I could see in those games that they did not seem to click like teams of the past. How will HB and RB and KM affect that? Who knows? Remember, they still have Roy... and he did not do such a great job molding last years team into a cohesive unit...

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Bill Walton is said to have attended more Grateful Dead concerts (650 or more)...
    I'm pretty sure he lost count.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    I'm pretty sure he lost count.
    Ha! I bet he has a recording of every show he went to. (Plus all of the ones he missed).
    Back on topic, I'm really surprised that the heels will be back relatively intact next year. I doubt the Wears go .
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I think the Wears will end up being very serviceable ACC-level players. Despite all of Carolina's injury troubles last year that severely hampered their development of a coherent rotation (and what we now know to be a highly disfunctional locker room), they looked at least as ready to play as freshmen as did Ryan Kelly or Lance Thomas.

And they will no doubt play significant minutes this year (and probably next year too) as the primary backups at the 4 and 5 for Zeller and Henson, and no other bigs coming in until McAdoo two seasons from now. Transferring would be silly for them.

Strickland also impressed me a great deal last year -- I think he has potential to be very good and play a lot, irrespective of Marshall and Bullock coming in.

McDonald seems the most likely candidate to get lost in the shuffle. It really would make sense for him to transfer.

Quote Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
    I think the Wears will end up being very serviceable ACC-level players. Despite all of Carolina's injury troubles last year that severely hampered their development of a coherent rotation (and what we now know to be a highly disfunctional locker room), they looked at least as ready to play as freshmen as did Ryan Kelly or Lance Thomas.

And they will no doubt play significant minutes this year (and probably next year too) as the primary backups at the 4 and 5 for Zeller and Henson, and no other bigs coming in until McAdoo two seasons from now. Transferring would be silly for them.

Strickland also impressed me a great deal last year -- I think he has potential to be very good and play a lot, irrespective of Marshall and Bullock coming in.

McDonald seems the most likely candidate to get lost in the shuffle. It really would make sense for him to transfer.
    Don't mind making fun of the Where? twins, but they're not bad players and could certainly improve as they go along.

Agree with you about McDonald being down the list, but I really wonder about Strickland. What's his position? Do they try to make a PG out of him? Wouldn't he be behind both Drew 2 and Marshall? If he's more of a shooting guard, he's got to compete with Graves, Bullock and Barnes (to some extent at this position) for playing time. Strickland certainly has speed and showed some flashes last year, but was mistake-prone and didn't shoot consistently.

Davis was the only real talent that the rest of the ACC needed to be aware of. I hope nobody transfers as they are all average at best and they made their bed now I want them to enjoy playing under "unc bsketball is all about me" roy williams.

Strickland certainly has speed and showed some flashes last year, but was mistake-prone and didn't shoot consistently.
    His shooting was consistent - it was just consistently poor. I'm not sure what's impressive about a turnover-prone combo guard with no outside shot.

Don't mind making fun of the Where? twins, but they're not bad players and could certainly improve as they go along.

Agree with you about McDonald being down the list, but I really wonder about Strickland. What's his position? Do they try to make a PG out of him? Wouldn't he be behind both Drew 2 and Marshall? If he's more of a shooting guard, he's got to compete with Graves, Bullock and Barnes (to some extent at this position) for playing time. Strickland certainly has speed and showed some flashes last year, but was mistake-prone and didn't shoot consistently.
    Isn't this the same question we used to ask about Nolan. At this point, though, who cares what his position is. Further, he has learned to play point as he has adjusted to the speed of the game in some ways. While I don't think he is a pure PG, he has refined his handle and could be a scoring PG in the NBA. So, Strickland has more than enough time to grow into a similar role as a PG/SG combo guard for the heels. I suspect he'll have a similar role but with more minutes in the coming year. He certainly is more talented than LDII. I would have him working to become a PG and he should want to because he won't be an NBA player as a 2 guard.

I'm still trying to figure out what a tranfer is. Similar to a transfer?

Quote Originally Posted by airowe View Post
    I'm still trying to figure out what a tranfer is. Similar to a transfer?
    The way I understand it is that a 'tranfer' doesn't become a 'transfer' until there is substance behind the rumor...

Quote Originally Posted by JohnGalt View Post
    The way I understand it is that a 'tranfer' doesn't become a 'transfer' until there is substance behind the rumor...
    Is this substance?

http://www.insidesocal.com/frankburl...ing-to-un.html

Freshman basketball forwards David and Travis Wear - McDonald's All-Americas and Best in the West selections as seniors at Mater Dei High - will not be returning to the University of North Carolina, their father told the Press-Telegram tonight.
    Dave Wear said he discussed the decision with Tar Heels' coach Roy Williams earlier in the evening by telephone and that he hoped that his sons would be released from their scholarship agreements with the school ``as early as Thursday".

Cali kids. Whattaya gonna do?

Will Graves, backup center.

They have no frontcourt, guess HB will be playing the 4 most of the game.

Wow. I have to say I'm surprised - they would have been able to be successful four year players at UNC, I think.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    Wow. I have to say I'm surprised - they would have been able to be successful four year players at UNC, I think.
    This is a very troubling situation. Should Dick Baddour insert himself into the basketball program at UNC?