Page 5 of 41 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 816
  1. #81
    Quote Originally Posted by kong123 View Post
    Because I am not a KU fan, I cannot comment on his players there, but I would guess Pierce. As far as UNC players go, Hansbrough is the only player in the Williams era that has averaged 15+ pts his freshman year. I understand that he was a PF and not a SF, but he was our big recruit that year. This year, our big recruit is HB and he is a real scorer. We haven't had a real scorer in that sort of position since Rashaad McCants was here. Both Ellington and Lawson could get their own shot, but HB's size and skill set will present problems for many teams. I imagine he will play very much the same game that KS plays, except HB is a more explosive athlete. Like I said, I think he will average 15 pts/game and we will need double digits from the player that wins out at the 2 spot as well. I think Reggie Bullock is capable of providing that. In the end, its a complete toss up after last year. Will they contribute or won't they, that is the question.
    The reason I asked about SFs is because roy's system does not and hasn't ever featured them. He has shown little to no flexibility in changing the way his system is run, so I'd venture to say that Hansbrough's usage as a Freshman will be much, much greater than Barnes' will be. I wouldn't be surprised to see Barnes average in double digits, but to act like he'll have no problem scoring 15-20 and then more against ACC competition is setting him up failure IMO.

    Also, can you show me how Barnes is a more explosive athlete than Kyle Singler? I was wondering what your metric was on that or if it was just an opinion...

  2. #82
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    way to sell Lance short.......you be sure and ring us up when EITHER of the twins is a player in the title game that, without their play, there IS not a title game, or the title....
    you know just as well as I do that I wasn't bashing LT. What I said is... according to the stats, LT was not a big contributor, but because of his defense he was a significant contributor. I then said that I hoped the Weirs could be equally as effective as LT was on the defensive end. Because of the Weir's offensive ability, they will one day contribute much more on the offensive end which gives them a greater upside.

    Don't just read something I write and assume that I am bashing your team!

  3. #83
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by airowe View Post
    Also, can you show me how Barnes is a more explosive athlete than Kyle Singler? I was wondering what your metric was on that or if it was just an opinion...
    again, it is my opinion, but watching him in those all-star games and in all of the video released over the year, he looks to be a higher jumper than KS is. I have also seen him do a few spin moves in the lane with great ball control and then make an athletic finish, much like a Kobe, Wade, LB. Now before I get blasted for that, I do not think HB is that caliber of player, but his ability to create and finish in traffic is similar. I would say he will be more like Gerald Henderson than KS in athletic ability but play more of KS's game.

  4. #84
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    raleigh
    Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    I enjoy mocking the Wears as much as the next guy, but they really are capable of becoming solid contributors by their senior year. They could certainly win a title as role players on a team that surrounds them with elite talent at the other spots.
    that's precisely what i'm talking about.......lance did not have ANY elite (lottery picks) on his team and certainly wasn't SURROUNDED by them...

    I know a little about "houses of cards".......my world revolves around them.

    this "house of cards" that became the 2010 champs was exactly that. .......if you add to, or remove from that house of cards, there's a good possibility it doesn't turn out that way...

    you take lance off this team and i'd say there's a good chance it doesn't happen.......let's see if we can say the same about either of the twins...

  5. #85
    Is this the part of the year when fairweirther UNC fans start coming back into the fold? It seems a little early for that...

  6. #86
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    raleigh
    Quote Originally Posted by kong123 View Post
    you know just as well as I do that I wasn't bashing LT. What I said is... according to the stats, LT was not a big contributor, but because of his defense he was a significant contributor. I then said that I hoped the Weirs could be equally as effective as LT was on the defensive end. Because of the Weir's offensive ability, they will one day contribute much more on the offensive end which gives them a greater upside.

    Don't just read something I write and assume that I am bashing your team!
    i didn't assume you were bashing our team.....you WERE selling lance short by referencing stats, giving a small kudo to his defensive contributions and then saying you thought the twins were going to be better. (or more "upside" as you put it.)


    i respectfully disagree.

    you can't put a value on lance's contributions without first asking the question "what if those contributions (however you want to describe them") aren't there at all.

    all i'm saying is, i don't think either of the twins will be the missing piece of the puzzle for a unc title

  7. #87
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by El_Diablo View Post
    Is this the part of the year when fairweirther UNC fans start coming back into the fold? It seems a little early for that...
    far from fairweather my friend, I have been here through the low spots of this season and I will be here through the highs and lows of next years season...

  8. #88
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    all i'm saying is, i don't think either of the twins will be the missing piece of the puzzle for a unc title
    before Duke won the championship, I didn't think he would be the missing piece of anything. I imagine, while you loved him because he played for your team, you were probably disappointed that he never turned out to be the player he was projected to be. But, you won a championship this year and now his contributions are etched in stone. Guess what, there have been players like him since the beginning of the NCAA's that do the little things to help their team win. You know where they are now? They are playing in Europe or they went professional in something other than a sport. What I simply meant was, one of the Weirs may be able to play in the NBA one day if they improve. Lance is at the end of the college career and he will not be given a chance in the NBA. While I respect his role on the 2010 NCAA Championship team, his role is not what I was talking about.

  9. #89
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    raleigh
    Quote Originally Posted by kong123 View Post
    Lance is at the end of the college career and he will not be given a chance in the NBA.
    we shall see.....we shall see......saving this quote along with my "chris duhon will never be on an nba team" nugget...

  10. #90
    Quote Originally Posted by kong123 View Post
    What I simply meant was, one of the Weirs may be able to play in the NBA one day if they improve.
    Or play guitar for the Greatful Dead.

  11. #91
    Quote Originally Posted by kong123 View Post
    again, it is my opinion, but watching him in those all-star games and in all of the video released over the year, he looks to be a higher jumper than KS is. I have also seen him do a few spin moves in the lane with great ball control and then make an athletic finish, much like a Kobe, Wade, LB. Now before I get blasted for that, I do not think HB is that caliber of player, but his ability to create and finish in traffic is similar. I would say he will be more like Gerald Henderson than KS in athletic ability but play more of KS's game.
    Fair enough, it just sounded like were very sure about it, like you had some sort of evidence to back it up. I've heard that Barnes' strong suit is not his athleticism, but rather his overall skill level and polished game. In fact, I think if you were to rank his strong suits, athleticism would be towards the bottom. I figured you would know more about that than me...

  12. #92
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    I may indeed be over-estimating Harrison's pt total average (and I knew it was high when I said it) but again, I do think he will be option 1, 2, and 3 on that team, and I think he is an awful good player. I may be wrong, of course
    I agree that HB is very likely to lead Heels in ppg. Assuming you were being hyperbolic re HB as "option 1, 2, and 3," but imo Heels have lots of decent options on O beyond HB: Zeller, Drew, Graves, Strickland, Bullock, Henson, McDonald [still think he's a likely transfer sooner or later], with Wears fairly low on O-options-depth-chart.

    Heels could have a bunch of guys at 8-12 ppg/each, with HB breaking out of pack to hit 16-18.

  13. #93
    Quote Originally Posted by allenmurray View Post
    Or play guitar for the Grateful Dead.
    Hopefully, not with the short shorts...

  14. #94
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Duhon and Lance Thomas are completely different basketball players.

    this is his line from Wikipedia

    He left as the only Atlantic Coast Conference player to record 1,200 points, 800 assists, 475 rebounds, 300 steals, and 125 three-point shots.

    Chris Duhon almost out-rebounded Thomas!

  15. #95
    Quote Originally Posted by kong123 View Post
    again, it is my opinion, but watching him in those all-star games and in all of the video released over the year, he looks to be a higher jumper than KS is. I have also seen him do a few spin moves in the lane with great ball control and then make an athletic finish, much like a Kobe, Wade, LB. Now before I get blasted for that, I do not think HB is that caliber of player, but his ability to create and finish in traffic is similar. I would say he will be more like Gerald Henderson than KS in athletic ability but play more of KS's game.
    Well I don't know what games you have been watching, but Harrison doesn't look like G! I've been actually surprised that he can't drive to the lane like Wade or Kobe. Can he.....maybe but I haven't seen what you are talking about. This guy can shoot though and is one heck of a rebounder but I believe you might be climbing a little to high when you say he can drive in the lane like LB, Kobe, or Wade. Just to let you know though.......Duke has somebody that can.........Irving!

  16. #96
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Lewisville, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by allenmurray View Post
    Or play guitar for the Greatful Dead.
    Okay, time to work in one of my favorite stats.

    Bill Walton is said to have attended more Grateful Dead concerts (650 or more) than the number of NBA games in which he played (468 regular season + 49 playoff = 517).

    Throw it down, big fella!

  17. #97
    Quote Originally Posted by airowe View Post
    The reason I asked about SFs is because roy's system does not and hasn't ever featured them. He has shown little to no flexibility in changing the way his system is run, so I'd venture to say that Hansbrough's usage as a Freshman will be much, much greater than Barnes' will be. I wouldn't be surprised to see Barnes average in double digits, but to act like he'll have no problem scoring 15-20 and then more against ACC competition is setting him up failure IMO.

    Also, can you show me how Barnes is a more explosive athlete than Kyle Singler? I was wondering what your metric was on that or if it was just an opinion...
    To be fair, I think it's reasonable to expect 15+ ppg from Barnes next year. Given UNC's tempo (which is usually one of the faster tempos in the country - even last year when they didn't have good PG play it was 27th nationally), they'll get plenty of possessions. And he's likely to be the #1 option next year, so he should get his looks. And Roy's system doesn't really de-emphasize any particular position. It emphasizes players who can shoot and play up-tempo. Barnes can do both of those things really well.

    Now, one of the posts said 20+ ppg, and I think that's probably unreasonable. I'm not saying he'd average 15-20 with no problem, but I don't think it's unreasonable to expect at least 15 ppg from him next year.

    I also don't think Barnes will be a likely candidate for National Player of the Year unless UNC completely rebounds and is among the elite teams again. There'll be enough star players on elite teams that a 15-20 ppg season from Barnes on a top-25 level UNC team wouldn't get it done.

  18. #98
    Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    I agree that HB is very likely to lead Heels in ppg. Assuming you were being hyperbolic re HB as "option 1, 2, and 3," but imo Heels have lots of decent options on O beyond HB: Zeller, Drew, Graves, Strickland, Bullock, Henson, McDonald [still think he's a likely transfer sooner or later], with Wears fairly low on O-options-depth-chart.
    No, and God no. Those two will hardly see the court next year.

  19. #99
    Quote Originally Posted by kong123 View Post
    far from fairweather my friend, I have been here through the low spots of this season and I will be here through the highs and lows of next years season...
    Then perhaps you would know that it's "Wear" and not "Weir" if you were really following your team as closely as you always had.

  20. #100
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Washington, D.C.

    What's in a name?

    Quote Originally Posted by kong123 View Post
    Because of the Weir's offensive ability, they will one day contribute much more on the offensive end which gives them a greater upside.
    I just have to point out that I once knew someone whose last name was "Weir", and one of my co-workers got so frustrated with him that he later said that the "d" was silent.

    The UNC players are named "Wear", I think.

Similar Threads

  1. Great mirror trick with twins
    By CameronBornAndBred in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-15-2008, 03:52 PM
  2. Stanford's Lopez twins declare for NBA draft
    By brevity in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-31-2008, 08:42 PM
  3. Stanford - Lopez Twins
    By gw67 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 03-29-2008, 06:16 AM
  4. Oh! The WOES! Of the O's!
    By EarlJam in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 09-16-2007, 05:40 PM
  5. Corporate IT Woes?
    By DevilAlumna in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-13-2007, 09:18 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •