Page 41 of 41 FirstFirst ... 31394041
    Quote Originally Posted by oldnavy View Post
    What is striking to me is what the Wear's don't say, and that is anything good about UNC. They don't go negative, but unlike recent Duke transfers they do not say positive things about their former school or coach. I read a lot into that. This was not a happy breakup IMO and I would bet it was mainly because of Ol Roy and his antics and foolish behavior this past year. Lord only knows what he said to these kids when the microphones were OFF!
    There's no reason to characterize this statement as your opinion. Following the Wears' announcement, the other players' tweets spoke for themselves. The chemistry on the team was simply...non-existent.

There was that season they had last year too. It seemed to indicate discontent.

If your bride left you at the alter, the very first words out of your mouth may not be positive either, but you were still planning on marrying her before, right? Everyone was caught off guard, what do you expect? Can you think of another situation like this one? EW's situation is slightly different, he apparently did it because of his mother and that is widely known. The Wears left without notice and no explanation has been made public. Until it is, you will just go on spitting out different reason's for the transfer that only bash UNC. Isn't this against the board rules or do the rules only apply when someone says something negative about Duke?

Duh

Quote Originally Posted by kong123 View Post
    Until it is, you will just go on spitting out different reason's for the transfer that only bash UNC. Isn't this against the board rules or do the rules only apply when someone says something negative about Duke?
    Are you SERIOUSLY asking if UNC bashing is against board rules? Good Lord.

Quote Originally Posted by kong123 View Post
    If your bride left you at the alter, the very first words out of your mouth may not be positive either, but you were still planning on marrying her before, right? Everyone was caught off guard, what do you expect? Can you think of another situation like this one? EW's situation is slightly different, he apparently did it because of his mother and that is widely known. The Wears left without notice and no explanation has been made public. Until it is, you will just go on spitting out different reason's for the transfer that only bash UNC. Isn't this against the board rules or do the rules only apply when someone says something negative about Duke?
    We're all just speculating. But speculation that Roy's personality had something to do with it is not baseless, given what's happened over the past year. I mean, you have to admit it's a possibility that it factored in, right? You can't just rely on "homesick" and "controlling father" and "possible extended injury combined with wanting to play together for ever and ever" as the only options.

A couple months ago people were predicting Larry Drew would transfer...was it because he was homesick and had a controlling father and a brother who was injured and blah blah blah? Or was it because the UNC coach, the supposed leader of the team, was regularly expressing public exasperation with his team's struggles and throwing his players under the bus at every opportunity?

If you have some actual stories to corroborate the other supposed reasons, then I might change my mind. But gathering speculative rumors from UNC fans on IC message boards is not really doing anything but spinning the whole thing in a way that shifts attention away from another obvious possibility. And why the need to spin it at all? It doesn't hurt to admit the obvious: the UNC program had a bad year, and Coach Williams exacerbated it with his antics. Okay, fine. He might have been even more harsh behind the scenes. We don't know that, but based on what we did see, his behavior was such that it very well might have rubbed some players the wrong way. It might even make people not want to be part of the program anymore. Why is that so hard to admit? It's not like there was a mass exodus...just a couple players who felt they'd enjoy their college days a little more playing elsewhere.

You don't get THAT homesick if you're actually enjoying yourself. Sounds like they just weren't enjoying it in Chapel Hill.

Keep in mind that Ty Lawson said that the only thing keeping him at UNC for two years was that he was scared of the NBA (and then there was the DWI). Not that he enjoyed it at UNC.

Rashad McCants compared UNC to a prison: "I'm in jail right now. You're not allowed to do certain things, you're not allowed to say certain things. But once you get out of jail, you're free. So I'm just in my sentence and I'm doing my time."

And those were from the GOOD times! Imagine what it's like when things are bad on the court!

Quote Originally Posted by El_Diablo View Post
    And why the need to spin it at all? It doesn't hurt to admit the obvious: the UNC program had a bad year, and Coach Williams exacerbated it with his antics. Okay, fine. He might have been even more harsh behind the scenes. We don't know that, but based on what we did see, his behavior was such that it very well might have rubbed some players the wrong way. It might even make people not want to be part of the program anymore. Why is that so hard to admit? It's not like there was a mass exodus...just a couple players who felt they'd enjoy their college days a little more playing elsewhere.

You don't get THAT homesick if you're actually enjoying yourself. Sounds like they just weren't enjoying it in Chapel Hill.
    This is it. Level-headed, no-big-deal explanation. It also fits the Mom Wear comments, which accentuate the UCLA-pluses, while obliquely referring to the UNC-minuses. And while many Duke fanatics, me included, are of course going to needle Roy and Roy-supporters, even the likely truth, while a bit embarrassing for Roy, is hardly earth-shattering.

And probably a fair number of DBR posters think that Knox's arrival will, unfortunately, help the Heels a bit next year. Not enough to get Roy's team over big humps, absent other changes. Heels will be more competitive next year, because (a) can't get worse, (b) HB et al, (c) Henson emergence, (d) Knox-help. How competitive, hard to tell, but at least Heel-Pack games should be rousing for first time in awhile.

Knox will help some this year, the key will be what happens next year. If Zeller and Henson and Knox leave, the only post player will be freshman McAdoo. And I don't think McAdoo considers himself a low post banger. Next year is not a deep class for post players. Although Tyler Adams is not highly ranked, he is a banger who will grow into a role in the paint for Duke. carolina doesn't have a lot of options, and might be in real trouble.

Henson is likely to go pro. He will be on the cusp of potential v performance, and risk dropping if he waits. With the great exodus this year, next year's draft class should be thin. Zeller could well go, because of the weak class and the risk of further injury.

The Wears would have given carolina depth this year and would have given them an upperclass presence in the post the following two years.

I am amused because this will hurt unc for a while. And because it seems to be at least in part because of the lockerroom dynamic that developed while ol' roy led a VERY talented team to the bottom of the ACC.

And Duke is at the White House with POTUS.

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    How competitive, hard to tell, but at least Heel-Pack games should be rousing for first time in awhile.
    Rousing? The Pack couldn't get closer than 13 points in 2 games during a UNC season that s*cked and will likely not be repeated. If UNC improves, which is very likely, how will that help make the series more interesting?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueThru&Thru View Post
    Rousing? The Pack couldn't get closer than 13 points in 2 games during a UNC season that s*cked and will likely not be repeated. If UNC improves, which is very likely, how will that help make the series more interesting?
    A fair question. I have perhaps been unduly influenced by rumors of big-time talent in State's entering class. I do realize that UNC has some real fine fellows on board, too. But Tracy Smith is an emerging star, and State smells blood, at least for the game in Raleigh. So yes, I do actually expect a rousing game when UNC visits. In fact, I'd predict a State victory.

Interesting fact - NC State will also be fielding a new team next year.

We can also hope that State will not choose to play its two worst games of the season against UNC, as they did this past year. That may be too much to ask, though.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Henson is likely to go pro. He will be on the cusp of potential v performance, and risk dropping if he waits. With the great exodus this year, next year's draft class should be thin. Zeller could well go, because of the weak class and the risk of further injury.
    If Henson goes, the draft class definitely will be thin.

Both Henson and Zeller will have to show a lot more if they are looking to get drafted high. Henson has some flashy moves around the rim but needs to put on some meat and develop some consist offensive moves. Zeller's 7' put plays 6' when he often brings the ball low under the basket and gets it knocked out of his hands. And there is the question of his durability. If they improve enough to be legitimate high draft picks next year, then UNC, along with Barnes and Bullock, may be a load to deal with.

Life imitates jokes

I just had a basketball "discussion" with a middle-aged carolina fan. He saw my Duke license plates and lawn flag and asked if I was a Duke fan. He thinks that, even though carolina lost the Wears, since they have the number 2 incoming class, they will win it all next year. I had a hard time getting him off the porch even after I paid for the pizza.

Quote Originally Posted by ArnieMc View Post
    I just had a basketball "discussion" with a middle-aged carolina fan. He saw my Duke license plates and lawn flag and asked if I was a Duke fan. He thinks that, even though carolina lost the Wears, since they have the number 2 incoming class, they will win it all next year. I had a hard time getting him off the porch even after I paid for the pizza.
    Very naive, but sounds like the guy is a good fan even though he is misguided. I hope you let him know they have a bunch of ground to make up on the champs!

Quote Originally Posted by ArnieMc View Post
    You shoulda stuck with DiGiorno.

Punch line extrordinaire.

Yours.

Both Henson and Zeller will have to show a lot more if they are looking to get drafted high. Henson has some flashy moves around the rim but needs to put on some meat and develop some consist offensive moves. Zeller's 7' put plays 6' when he often brings the ball low under the basket and gets it knocked out of his hands. And there is the question of his durability. If they improve enough to be legitimate high draft picks next year, then UNC, along with Barnes and Bullock, may be a load to deal with.
    However, the NBA drafts on potential, especially when it comes to big men. The real difficulty for Roy is if Barnes leaves after 1 year and either Henson or Zeller leave.