Page 39 of 41 FirstFirst ... 293738394041 LastLast
    Knox is a solid pickup for UNC, he's not going to set the world on fire but he'll play a big role nevertheless. If he plays 10 minutes a game, that means Henson and Zeller only have to play 30 rather than 35 (for example), which makes a HUGE difference. And at 245lb he provides some muscle that they don't otherwise have. I imagine he'll feel like he has something to prove, and thus should provide a psychological/emotional lift in practice.

check the math

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Knox is a solid pickup for UNC, he's not going to set the world on fire but he'll play a big role nevertheless. If he plays 10 minutes a game, that means Henson and Zeller only have to play 30 rather than 35 (for example), which makes a HUGE difference. And at 245lb he provides some muscle that they don't otherwise have. I imagine he'll feel like he has something to prove, and thus should provide a psychological/emotional lift in practice.
    30+30+10=70, so Graves or Barnes would be spending time in the post in your scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    30+30+10=70, so Graves or Barnes would be spending time in the post in your scenario.
    Did I mention I haven't had my morning coffee?

Quote Originally Posted by miramar View Post
    Maybe I'm biased, but I think WRAL got it right in the article on Justin Knox:

"Carolina was desperate to add depth to a front court that only returned John Henson and Tyler Zeller."

He started about half the games at Alabama and only averaged about 6 points and 4 rebounds, but desperation aside, at least he will give them some minutes.
    Obviously it is a desperation move. The team was desperate for a big man, so they made a move that they probably wouldn't have made if the Wears hadn't transferred.

But whether or not it is a desperation move is irrelevant. The only matter is whether or not it was a good move. And considering that he has three years of D-1 experience, gives them much-needed frontcourt depth, won't demand a starting spot, and will not get in the way of anybody in their pipeline, I think it's a fantastic move for them.

Is he an impact player? Probably not. Does it make them challengers for the ACC title, probably not (but you just never know). But merely having him available to fill 20 minutes per game behind Henson and Zeller is huge for them.

I think most of us would say that yes this was a desperate move, but it does not mean it was a bad decision. I bet he plays 10-15 mins a game until ACC play then it will all change. Roy is known for a longer bench, but he will need to tighten the rotation a bit to win 26+ wins this year.

Wear twins to UCLA.

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angele...ory?id=5219398

Highly touted twins David and Travis Wear signed scholarship agreements with UCLA on Tuesday morning after transferring from North Carolina nearly three weeks ago, their father, David Wear, told ESPNLosAngeles.com.

"The boys have committed to going to UCLA," Wear said. "We've signed and sent the paperwork."

Oh good for them. Their parents can watch them play poorly closer to home.

I say that half in jest, because maybe with decent coaching and a positive atmosphere... [and who doesn't find 78 and sunny a positive atmosphere?].

Quote Originally Posted by CEF1959 View Post
    Oh good for them. Their parents can watch them play poorly closer to home.

I say that half in jest, because maybe with decent coaching and a positive atmosphere... [and who doesn't find 78 and sunny a positive atmosphere?].
    At the very least they will have a great view of the UCLA cheerleaders from the bench. AND three more years of free education.

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    At the very least they will have a great view of the UCLA cheerleaders from the bench. AND three more years of free education.
    Actually four.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I would say it's not really fair at all. UNC wooed Jack for this year's recruiting class. Jack has elected not to pursue that. So UNC may move on and not offer him next year. And further than that, we don't know the nature of the talks between UNC and Jack. It may be that UNC was completely honest that "we need a body for next year, if you're interested." Not that that matters anyway, because it wouldn't be "lying" even if they didn't agree. There's very little similarity between the Roe and Jack recruitments. And there's very little about this worth pondering and staring off into space with a thoughtful and inquisitive look, unless all you're trying to do is dig for any conceivable reason to bash Williams/UNC.

There are plenty of easier and more logical avenues for having fun at Williams' expense. This isn't one of them, in my opinion.
    YES! That is exactly what I was trying to do! I agree it was a weak attempt, but without weekly press conferences for Roy to speak publicly and give me some fresh fodder, this is all I got!

Well, here's a howler from Howland, on the prior coaching the Wears have received: "They’ve been very well coached – we’re talking about four years in the Mater Dei program." Hard to tell whether this was a witting or unwitting comment about Roy. Did Howland imply that a year under Roy was insufficient to destroy excellent HS mentoring? Or is that just my bemused inference?

Link may be found on DBR Wear page links.

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    Well, here's a howler from Howland, on the prior coaching the Wears have received: "They’ve been very well coached – we’re talking about four years in the Mater Dei program." Hard to tell whether this was a witting or unwitting comment about Roy. Did Howland imply that a year under Roy was insufficient to destroy excellent HS mentoring? Or is that just my bemused inference?

Maybe this is retribution for roy's comments about Henson never being asked to think and play basketball at the same time until he got to carolina.

Or maybe its Howland trying to get in the Mater Dei coaches' good graces for future recruiting purposes.

That is a great deal of fun to read. Over and over.

The clear implication is that they did not receive very good coaching last year.

The question is whether they received:
    a) no coaching, or
    b) bad coaching, or
    c) good coaching that was still below the level of very good coaching.

I'll go with b).

Have you guys noticed that their parents are the only ones quoted in the articles? Sounds like the father is quite controlling.

"They love UCLA," the twins' mother, Gloria Wear, told ESPN.com's Diamond Leung. "Great school, great coach, great program. Why would they want to leave home?"

Obviously, it is more fun to discuss Roy and players as the reason for the twins leaving, but if you read this closely- it seems that it could be a decision driven by circumstances outside of the poor year UNC had last year.

Why did you guys transfer from North Carolina to UCLA?
    D. Wear: “I just felt like it was a good situation, a great program. Playing time wasn’t a factor. I just felt like (North Carolina) wasn’t the right situation. I really don’t want to comment much on that. That’s the past. I want to move forward. I have no regrets.”

When did you feel like you wanted to leave the Tar Heels?
    T. Wear: “I was thinking about transferring at the end of the year.”

You said you weren’t home sick but how big of a deal-maker was it to come back home to play at a major college program?
    D. Wear: “It was a family decision. I’m extremely excited. It’s a great opportunity to play in front of the people who’ve supported you your whole career. UCLA was a strong front-runner (upon deciding to transfer).”

Quote Originally Posted by kong123 View Post
    "They love UCLA," the twins' mother, Gloria Wear, told ESPN.com's Diamond Leung. "Great school, great coach, great program."
    Two separate issues here. It may well be that the family "situation," including, or not, controlling father, explains the Wears' transfer. Fair enough as a speculation.

But I for one am so very pleased that you quoted the mom. Read it again, as it sure seems to reinforce the impression given by Howland: namely, that Roy is not a great coach. I'll sure fess up to disagreeing with the mom, if she's also implying that UNC is not a great school, with a great bball [and for that matter academic/intellectual] program. But the obvious impression is that the mom and Howland are getting in some digs at Roy's coaching; it's either what they are implying or what a Duke fanatic might easily infer.

Easy to understand how a UNC fanatic would hope that it's a false inference rather than an accurate take on a not-so-hidden implication.

Two separate issues here. It may well be that the family "situation," including, or not, controlling father, explains the Wears' transfer. Fair enough as a speculation.

But I for one am so very pleased that you quoted the mom. Read it again, as it sure seems to reinforce the impression given by Howland: namely, that Roy is not a great coach. I'll sure fess up to disagreeing with the mom, if she's also implying that UNC is not a great school, with a great bball [and for that matter academic/intellectual] program. But the obvious impression is that the mom and Howland are getting in some digs at Roy's coaching; it's either what they are implying or what a Duke fanatic might easily infer.

Easy to understand how a UNC fanatic would hope that it's a false inference rather than an accurate take on a not-so-hidden implication.
    Further reading of the tea leaves:

The Wear family didn't care for the press release from Roy about the departure from UNC, and are enjoying a chance to give him a dig.

Just my take on it. I wish the Wears well (alliteration abounds). I'll be curious to follow their basketball careers and see just how good they become.

Dadgum, fellas, keep it classy!

And it is just as easy to see how a Duke fanatic would prefer to take these articles in the most negative fashion possible.

As far as UCLA being a better school, better coach, and better program, how is the UCLA coach better and how is his program better? Do the statistics support that? During the last few years when Howland had his success at UCLA- UNC won 2 NC's and UCLA won 0.

The parents wanted their kids home so they could be all together and the twins may have been homesick. That what those quotes meant to me. If you read more into them so that they were swipes at Roy, then you are really reaching. Is this the TDD?

Quote Originally Posted by kong123 View Post
    And it is just as easy to see how a Duke fanatic would prefer to take these articles in the most negative fashion possible.

As far as UCLA being a better school, better coach, and better program, how is the UCLA coach better and how is his program better? Do the statistics support that? During the last few years when Howland had his success at UCLA- UNC won 2 NC's and UCLA won 0.

The parents wanted their kids home so they could be all together and the twins may have been homesick. That what those quotes meant to me. If you read more into them so that they were swipes at Roy, then you are really reaching. Is this the TDD?
    1. Your para 1 - If you reread my post, carefully, you'll see I referred to myself as a Duke fanatic, and provided what seem to me to be two - not one - obvious possibilities, involving implication v. inference.

2. Your para 2 - If you reread my post, carefully, you'll see I complimented UNC in 2 of the 3 categories mentioned by the mom. So your implication - or have I not read carefully enough, and am inferring inaccurately? - that I somehow think UCLA has a better school or program than UNC - is a clear misreading. As to the superior coach, until last season I'd have voted for Roy. Now, questions abound, including more than a few posed by UNC fanatics, who don't like Roy's "approach" in '09-'10. Forget Duke-swipes at Roy; look to friendly fire from UNC fanatics.

3. Your para 3 - If you reread my post, carefully, you'll see, once again, that I provided 2 options, implication/inference.

4. Your final sentence. I have never visited TDD. Having visited IC occasionally, I'm afraid to look at TDD.

5. Overall - It's irritating to (a) have you pick and choose from my post, and (b) to have you miss the 3 or 4 central points, especially, and ironically, points that praise UNC. In future, I will try to write [even] more clearly. I trust you will try to read more thoroughly. If we're gonna debate, it's better not to just be talking past each other.