Page 13 of 41 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Not sure what to call this...

Something is Rotten in the State of Carolina Basketball

—or—

Alas, poor Tyler—I knew him, Harrison. A fellow of infinite travels, of most muppet-like expression; he hath borne my team on his back a thousand times; and now, how abhorred in my imagination it is! My gorge rises at it. Here hung those lips that I have kissed I know not how oft. Where be your gibes now?

Wink Why?

Why would the Wears transfer from what seems to be a good situation? Two big men left (Davis and Thompson). Roy plays a lot of players; ergo, a lot of minutes. There is no evidence of academic or personal issues.

1. Maybe they hate the program or the coaches or their teammates.

2. Maybe they don't think they can play at this level -- at least not for awhile -- and are going someplace where minutes are more predictable.

It will be interesting if the two transfer to the same school. I think each could be hurting the development of the other. It will also be instructive to see who recruits them.

sagegrouse

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Why would the Wears transfer from what seems to be a good situation?
    California kids transfer. It's just what they do. Doesn't have to mean anything.

They are going to have to put Henson on the Jay Bilas Steroid Drip™.

well last year duke won the natty with only 3 guards....one of which was supposed to be a sr in high school...so maybe carolian can win it with 2 big men???? naaaaaaaaaaaa lol.

Does anyone know Henson's weight as of now? has he past andre yet? lol

Zeller has already had injury issues, and henson being so small...well he could easily get hurt, especially since he will actually be playin in the paint this year.

great news, for now.

this can only make UNC better for the future.

I really think they will end up at ucla, howland is in somewhat of a hot seat after last year and landing two big kids who were highly ranked recruits could be a big help for the program. I also see them fitting in to the ucla system much better than the unc system

Hey, guys, I know there's been a lot of theorizing about motives involved, but what if the twins are simply homesick.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Why would the Wears transfer from what seems to be a good situation? Two big men left (Davis and Thompson). Roy plays a lot of players; ergo, a lot of minutes. There is no evidence of academic or personal issues.

1. Maybe they hate the program or the coaches or their teammates.

2. Maybe they don't think they can play at this level -- at least not for awhile -- and are going someplace where minutes are more predictable.

It will be interesting if the two transfer to the same school. I think each could be hurting the development of the other. It will also be instructive to see who recruits them.

sagegrouse
    Dawkins is my bet. Stanford has a tradition of recruiting California twins, the Collinses and Lopezs. The Wears can play. Carolina lost a ton last year and, especially after Davis went down, the team collapsed. I think that they will go somewhere together.

The interesting thing is that, at least through the middle of the season, I was thinking some of the same things about another set of brothers at another ACC school. I do not think that the third Plumlee brother will be at Duke absent a complete turnaround in how his older brothers are used--how much the offensive game is actually geared to giving them good chances with the ball.

I do not think that either Miles or Mason was anywhere near happy with how they were being utilized and only came to a place of acceptance with it late in the season and largely because of one man, and that wasn't K, it was Brian Zoubek. But for Zoubek's incredible emergence, and his big-brother reach-back, particularly to Miles to bring him along (was I the only one who saw Brian head for Miles during almost every time out) I think that the season might have turned out very differently and that maybe a conversation like this one was being had much closer to home.

The rigors of big time schedules and the BIG BUCKS that they bring puts so much pressure on programs, especially on draws like Carolina and Duke, to perform against steller programs a couple of times a week for the entire season. There is no chance to air out young kids, let them literally play the game without the worry of mistakes that will cost, with getting yanked, with disappointing teammates and fans.

I think that this is a terrible price to pay for the riches that ESPN brings in, and that it is beyond unacceptible that the ones who are being made to pay the price are young recruits who simply should not be subjected to the pressures that the out-of-conference schedules these days bring.

This, however, is the reality of big time ball, and there is little that anyone can do about it. The closest I've seen anyone come was K during the week leading up to the Georgetown game--he continually spoke about wanting his guys to approach the game as one in which to have fun, to be loose and just play. They really didn't do that. On the other hand, they were all as fresh as could be for K's real target that week, which was to make a point against GT after the literal beat down they threw at Duke earlier that season.

Transfers in light of these pressures will be all the more prevalent, even while in my mind they are terribly regrettable. How can it be that players who are not quite ready for the fires of big, big time competition just yet because they are too young and are just adjusting to college get thrown into the crucible and then here it from fans, the press, and the intrateam pressures that losing can bring? For money?

You guys, present company excluded here Sage, I know that this is not you and many others here, can take glee in the fact that the Weirs packed their bags. Me, the whole damn thing just makes me angry, if it wasn't so damn sorrowful.

Sorry, Greybeard

Quote Originally Posted by greybeard View Post
    The interesting thing is that, at least through the middle of the season, I was thinking some of the same things about another set of brothers at another ACC school. I do not think that the third Plumlee brother will be at Duke absent a complete turnaround in how his older brothers are used--how much the offensive game is actually geared to giving them good chances with the ball.

I do not think that either Miles or Mason was anywhere near happy with how they were being utilized and only came to a place of acceptance with it late in the season and largely because of one man, and that wasn't K, it was Brian Zoubek. But for Zoubek's incredible emergence, and his big-brother reach-back, particularly to Miles to bring him along (was I the only one who saw Brian head for Miles during almost every time out) I think that the season might have turned out very differently and that maybe a conversation like this one was being had much closer to home.

The rigors of big time schedules and the BIG BUCKS that they bring puts so much pressure on programs, especially on draws like Carolina and Duke, to perform against steller programs a couple of times a week for the entire season. There is no chance to air out young kids, let them literally play the game without the worry of mistakes that will cost, with getting yanked, with disappointing teammates and fans.

I think that this is a terrible price to pay for the riches that ESPN brings in, and that it is beyond unacceptible that the ones who are being made to pay the price are young recruits who simply should not be subjected to the pressures that the out-of-conference schedules these days bring.

This, however, is the reality of big time ball, and there is little that anyone can do about it. The closest I've seen anyone come was K during the week leading up to the Georgetown game--he continually spoke about wanting his guys to approach the game as one in which to have fun, to be loose and just play. They really didn't do that. On the other hand, they were all as fresh as could be for K's real target that week, which was to make a point against GT after the literal beat down they threw at Duke earlier that season.

Transfers in light of these pressures will be all the more prevalent, even while in my mind they are terribly regrettable. How can it be that players who are not quite ready for the fires of big, big time competition just yet because they are too young and are just adjusting to college get thrown into the crucible and then here it from fans, the press, and the intrateam pressures that losing can bring? For money?

You guys, present company excluded here Sage, I know that this is not you and many others here, can take glee in the fact that the Weirs packed their bags. Me, the whole damn thing just makes me angry, if it wasn't so damn sorrowful.
    Although I often think your theories are pretty darned interesting and frequently dead on, I don't think any Plumlee unhappiness had to do with how they were used on offense. I suspect that if they were frustrated, it was more because they weren't as effective as they wanted to be.

I agree with you that it is sad that the Wears are transferring, but we don't know why they are choosing to do this. Could be homesickness. From the tweets, I'm guessing maybe they didn't like their teammates all that much, but that's just a crazy guess.

I agree with you that the amount of pressure is ridiculous, however.

Quote Originally Posted by BattierBattalion View Post
    Hey, guys, I know there's been a lot of theorizing about motives involved, but what if the twins are simply homesick.
    My guess is that David Wear found out his hip injury is going to require him to sit out a year and his twin decided they woul play three more years together.

So if ever there was a good time to x-fer it is now and to somewhere on left coast, probably UCLA who has had its share of x-fers too, but maybe Stanford or Zona too.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    California kids transfer. It's just what they do. Doesn't have to mean anything.
    And we're not talking just any California kids -- we're talking Mater Dei. You'd think a Catholic school would instill a different kind of ethic, but I guess the OC influence was stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    It is exactly the way a down cycle looks. What I see is next year being kind of like 2005-06 for UNC. They had one good freshman and one really good freshman but didn't have any depth and didn't look like they were going to do much, but they had a surprisingly good year, albeit a year ended by George Mason in the NCAAT 2nd round. The following season they added the pieces they were missing and they did OK for themselves.

I doubt HB regrets his decision at all. Look for him to play more than one season in Chapel Hill and have some success. UNC will be back, unfortunately.
    Well if it's just a cycle then bring it on! They seem to be occuring with alot more frequency over there than they are here. Don't get me wrong, when K leaves I'm sure we'll have our problems...but then again they weren't supposed to have problems when they brought in a coach the caliber of roy williams.

And no Harrison will never admit to regretting his decision...but if he had it to do over again...

Quote Originally Posted by sandinmyshoes View Post
    Does make me curious what the NCAA rules are for preps, and prep commits changing their minds.

As for the 6-9 210... with Henson, Zeller and this Jack kid, UNC would look like a grandaddy-longleg tournament.
    I doubt Jack is likely to respond. He seems to think that a year in prep school will be helpful to his game. Since he was headed to Miami before making that decision, why would he change his mind and go to Chapel Hill?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim3k View Post
    I doubt Jack is likely to respond. He seems to think that a year in prep school will be helpful to his game. Since he was headed to Miami before making that decision, why would he change his mind and go to Chapel Hill?
    This article, from an Arizona site, makes it sound like UNC is his dream school:

He is so confident in his ability that he wants perhaps the most storied college basketball program in America to give him a look. He no longer dreams about playing for Trinidad and Tobago’s national soccer team, which qualified for its first World Cup appearance in 2006. He desires to play basketball for the North Carolina Tarheels.

Roy Williams, are you reading?

“North Carolina, to me, is an ideal program,” Jack said. “It’s a program that gets a lot of respect nationally. Where I play, at Rice, it is the same way. People across the nation know about Rice High School because of some of the players who have played here (such as Felipe Lopez and Edgar Sosa).”

When asked if he believes North Carolina will begin recruiting him, Jack said with a hint of adulation: “I hope so.”

That sure sounds like that unless he soured on them for not recruiting him earlier, he'd be more than willing to listen. He'd for sure get some playing time just because Williams will have little choice but to do so.

Others have pointed to not getting by UNC's admissions, so maybe that will be a factor. And I really have no idea how good this kid is. But he's top 50 per scout, and the number 8 or so power forward. I don't think, however, that he's likely to be better as a freshman than two Wears as sophmores. But it frees up a scholarship for the following season, which is what worries me most.

http://tucsoncitizen.com/wildaboutaz...hoops-stardom/

The only game in town?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim3k View Post
    I think that Dave Telep threw Jack's name out there because he seems to be the only good alternative available, but we don't know if he would be interested or not.

As far as why Jack could conceivably change his mind, this past year notwithstanding, we are talking about UNC and the coach of the last decade. The extra year in prep school would presumably allow Jack to improve his game, but no matter what we may think, he won't get a better offer than ole Roy's.

All we can say is that last summer Coach K only had two guards and he found a creative solution, and I expect that now that Roy has only two big men he will do the same, with Jack or with someone else. So I guess we'll have to stay tuned, but what a difference a year makes. I just can't recall a season quite like this one, and it gets more interesting by the minute.

i think they are also classic cases of overrated mater dei players. For such a dominant program and legendary coach, McKnight's players have all really underachieved at the collegiate level

i do realize it's a little early to call it for sure, but it's just my opinion of their ability and potential.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Although I often think your theories are pretty darned interesting and frequently dead on, I don't think any Plumlee unhappiness had to do with how they were used on offense. I suspect that if they were frustrated, it was more because they weren't as effective as they wanted to be.

I agree with you that it is sad that the Wears are transferring, but we don't know why they are choosing to do this. Could be homesickness. From the tweets, I'm guessing maybe they didn't like their teammates all that much, but that's just a crazy guess.

I agree with you that the amount of pressure is ridiculous, however.
    I can live with all this. To me, your perspective with respect to the Plumlees is the flip side of the coin that I see with respect to inside play--that effectiveness inside is entirely dependent on how the ball is given to the Bigs and when. So, frsutrated with themselves to me can only be a product of the type of chances they got to produce. That was my view with respect to Brian his first year, and most of this in terms of offensive production until late in the season when there was an occasional fed inside that gave him the chance to go for the ball athletically and, with the space and angle created, do something with it.

I think that that type of play will have to be a feature, a major one, of next year's offense or Duke will not come anywhere near the heights everyone here hopes for. I think that that is good because, whether with themselves or not, I don't think the Plumlees are prepared to play without a lot of high-value touches next year and be happy with it. If such touches are not available, the likelihood that either Mason or Miles will produce the kind of scores off their shots that they want I think is very slim. Whether they call it frustration with themselves or with the system at this point is of little moment. I don't think either is going anywhere, except perhaps Mason and that would be to the pros as a "potential" pick if he gets the same type touches that this year's offense produced.

As for the Wears, I do not know why they left but cannot believe that it didn't have something to do with the rough time they got from all sides in trying to acclimate to playing for a steller program that was getting its brains kicked in. Judging from what is being said here, people have judged them extremely harshly and are ready to write them off. They didn't come to Carolina to have to fight such fights.

Brian Zoubek was confronted with much the same type pressures, which were only compounded when he was hampered by the repeat foot injuries. It was only his incredible will, in my mind, that permitted him to embrace a role that McClure had carved out and take it to heights nobody could have imagined that allowed him to rise from the ashes he had been burnt in.

All credit to Brian. He is amazing young man and, as I have always believed, quite a basketball talent. His strength, both physical and emotional, carried him through a fire that I believe would have burned the average (none of these guys are average, but you know what I mean) young player up.

Huh

Quote Originally Posted by greybeard View Post
    Dawkins is my bet. Stanford has a tradition of recruiting California twins, the Collinses and Lopezs. The Wears can play. Carolina lost a ton last year and, especially after Davis went down, the team collapsed. I think that they will go somewhere together.

First of all I am in California and did not get to see this team play in person.

However the one thing Duke was was a TEAM. Mason and Miles were a big part of it. They won the National Championship. Why would they think that the TEAM could have achieved more if they were used differently.

They are the experienced bigs next year. I expect that they will be key to Duke's season.

SoCal

Sitting here watching JJ not play much at all [??] v. Hawks. So I wander over to IC, and was hardly surprised at the anger by most posters toward Wears. Three folks, very much in a minority, posted as follows:

"This thread is pretty embarrassing to all UNC grads. Good luck to David and Travis."

"Roy is a 2-time NC and HOF, but his official response is whiny and unbecoming. Not unlike several post-game pressers this year. He needs to get a grip on himself and project some leadership."

"This program has fallen hard and fast since the calendar turned over to 2010. Does anyone believe in curses? I don't - but what a strange twist to see Carolina fall so far and Duke to inexplicably win 35 games and an NC."