NBA Mock Draft Based Solely on College Performance

ESPN has a nice little article about how the NBA Draft would look like if scouts made their decision on college performance rather than potential.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5226116

Jon Scheyer goes 6th.

No Daniel Orton appearance. Big surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by BattierD12 View Post
    ESPN has a nice little article about how the NBA Draft would look like if scouts made their decision on college performance rather than potential.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5226116

Jon Scheyer goes 6th.

No Daniel Orton appearance. Big surprise.
    I actually think that, if the article had really stayed true to it's title, Jon would've gone above wall. Higher scoring total, better a/to ratio with similar usage and, of course, a national title. Also, Jon was a better defender in college than Wall was.

Quote Originally Posted by COYS View Post
    I actually think that, if the article had really stayed true to it's title, Jon would've gone above wall. Higher scoring total, better a/to ratio with similar usage and, of course, a national title. Also, Jon was a better defender in college than Wall was.
    Yeah, but you know, the "eye test" and all that BS. (I'm still trying to figure out what the "eye test" entails and reveals.)

Quote Originally Posted by COYS View Post
    Agreed, although this was fun to think about, I might quibble with how the author defined college productivity. If you weight last yr's productivity and previous seasons as well, Jon should probably be 2nd after Turner.

I also would quibble with the author's statement that "Scheyer isn't athletic even by college standards" - Jon is no Wes Johnson, but at the college level, he is probably around the median for guards.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Agreed, although this was fun to think about, I might quibble with how the author defined college productivity. If you weight last yr's productivity and previous seasons as well, Jon should probably be 2nd after Turner.

I also would quibble with the author's statement that "Scheyer isn't athletic even by college standards" - Jon is no Wes Johnson, but at the college level, he is probably around the median for guards.
    As we found out from the draft combine, he might be as athletic as John Wall, it's just that his arms are so dang short

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Yeah, but you know, the "eye test" and all that BS. (I'm still trying to figure out what the "eye test" entails and reveals.)
    Easy.

Entails: "Two, one, or none?"

Reveals: "Can you see depth? Can you see?"

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    Easy.

Entails: "Two, one, or none?"

Reveals: "Can you see depth? Can you see?"
    Thank you. That is very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    If I had a complete video collection of JS's last 2 years, I could put together a montage of several dozen of his very, arguably eye-poppingly, athletic plays. I continue to insist that he doesn't look athletic, but that's because his athleticism is weird, not smooth. In terms of efficient athleticism, JS is way up there. This efficiency is partly a matter of smarts, but JS can also just do things, athletically-physically, that most players cannot [assortment of dipsy-do's and where'd-that-come-from blocks], because of his body control and hand-eye.

Guess it all comes down to what's included in "athleticism."

Isn't this basically what the All-American teams are?