Page 40 of 41 FirstFirst ... 3038394041 LastLast
Results 781 to 800 of 816
  1. #781
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Sorry, I was responding to the overall flavor of the thread and should not have quoted you. I didn't play close attention to everything that you said, just scanned it and thought it would work for my reply. Again, sorry.

  2. #782
    Quote Originally Posted by kong123 View Post
    Sorry, I was responding to the overall flavor of the thread and should not have quoted you. I didn't play close attention to everything that you said, just scanned it and thought it would work for my reply. Again, sorry.
    I wasn't looking for an apology; maybe a debate, argument, disagreement, something, clarification maybe.

    Overall flavor of thread - sure, it's gonna be Roy/UNC-putdown, but there's some evidence that something went wrong with Wears, and it's moderately embarrassing for Roy, if for no other reason than the "surprise factor."

    I'm not exactly asking you to convince me that I've inferred incorrectly re the remarks by Howland and the mom, i.e., that I've erred in claiming they were implying anything about Roy. But until someone does so, it sure looks like a dig, gentle or maybe a little harder. [Actually airowe in post #772 did provide a plausible, non-UNC-related explanation for Howland's comment. That airowe, always sticking up for Roy.....]

    You need not reply, as I admit I've had my fun, yet again, at Roy's expense. IMO, he has been a fine coach at KU and UNC, and, though I'd strongly prefer it to be otherwise, will probably recover his wits either in '10-'11 or in '11-'12 at latest. Duke and UNC are both great universities, with great academic and bball traditions. All Devil and Heel fans have a right to be fanatically proud.
    Last edited by gumbomoop; 05-26-2010 at 04:21 PM. Reason: clarity

  3. #783
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Howland taking swipes at Ol' Roy's coaching is pretty amusing don't you think?

  4. #784
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueThru&Thru View Post
    Howland taking swipes at Ol' Roy's coaching is pretty amusing don't you think?
    Indeed. More amusing still were Roy to make your point, publicly. Maybe a sort of K retort to Doug Gottlieb? Can't wait. Cannot wait.

  5. #785
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    Indeed. More amusing still were Roy to make your point, publicly. Maybe a sort of K retort to Doug Gottlieb? Can't wait. Cannot wait.
    I don't disagree with Roy being in a possible position to slam Howland, but I don't think Roy would be the best person to make a good point publicly, as he has had a rather poor record of that this year. Or, maybe that was your point.
    “Those two kids, they’re champions,” Krzyzewski said of his senior leaders. “They’re trying to teach the other kids how to become that, and it’s a long road to become that.”

  6. #786
    Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    I don't disagree with Roy being in a possible position to slam Howland, but I don't think Roy would be the best person to make a good point publicly, as he has had a rather poor record of that this year. Or, maybe that was your point.
    Yes: "cannot wait." Roy could call out Howland on last year, Howland responds with, "Well, Roy's last year was worse than mine," to which Roy responds, "So's your old man," and it keeps going from there. A comic opera of major proportions. YouTube and a billion hits. Letterman. Daily Show. Cannot wait. [Lots of time until November.......]
    Last edited by gumbomoop; 05-26-2010 at 04:48 PM. Reason: stoopid spacing

  7. #787
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Steamboat Springs, CO

    Talking Some Thoughts

    Quote Originally Posted by kong123 View Post
    The parents wanted their kids home so they could be all together and the twins may have been homesick. That what those quotes meant to me. If you read more into them so that they were swipes at Roy, then you are really reaching. Is this the TDD?
    What is puzzling is how most college students would behave after already starting college. The opinion of the parent about transfers or changing schools would be utterly and totally irrelevant, and the kids would have refused. Unless, of course, there were a financial reason or a developing personal situation,which weren't present here. Can't figure out why happy Wears wouldn't insist on staying, especially because they are twins and presumably share a lot of experiences and opinions.

    Duke's experience with, uh, hyperactive fathers of players and recruits seem to center on one and only one thing -- playing time. Get the kid on the court so he can show what he can do. I think the Wears would have each played 15-20 minutes per game in 2011. Probably more, given the brittleness of Zeller and the slightness of Henson. BY 2013 both should be starting unless one of them can't beat out a freshman or sophomore. Zeller will leave after two years, and I doubt that Henson is a four-year player. Maybe that wasn't enough for the Wear family.

    The only other factor I can think is the realization that both brothers might benefit from an extra year in college. But they have played only one year; who's to say that four years of college ball isn't enough, but five years would be.

    This whole situation is a puzzlement to me. But then, so was Taylor King, who was also from Mater Dei, and who has had the same experience at 'Nova as he had at Duke -- no PT unless he worked on his defense.

    sagegrouse
    Last edited by sagegrouse; 05-26-2010 at 05:02 PM. Reason: Ah, clarity! So far away from the grouse nest

  8. #788
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Winston-Salem, NC
    If you had a chance to watch the Wears last year, UNC won't be missing much. I'm sure they would much rather have one and done Knox plus another possible pickup. All of the gnashing of teeth about thinness in the post?...well the Wears played mostly from the perimeter and were ineffective underneath. They did UNC a favor.

  9. #789
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueThru&Thru View Post
    If you had a chance to watch the Wears last year, UNC won't be missing much. I'm sure they would much rather have one and done Knox plus another possible pickup. All of the gnashing of teeth about thinness in the post?...well the Wears played mostly from the perimeter and were ineffective underneath. They did UNC a favor.
    No.

    First of all, if you check last year's stats, Knox was less effective as a junior than Travis Wear was as a freshman. And losing two big men ensures that UNC will be young and thin in the post for the next couple of years at least. UNC not only has to locate replacements for Zeller and likely early departers Henson and McAdoo, but also has to recruit backups for those replacements, and right soon.

  10. #790
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    I have heard that Mrs Wear lived in Chapel Hill for much of the season with the father staying in Cali. Not sure how accurate that is, but I have heard that. It is also rumored that the hurt twin will have to sit out a season to heal his leg. If he has to sit out a season, I suppose UCLA is as good a place as any. His brother is just tagging along? Would his brother rather sit out a season too so that they remain in the same class and have the same amount of elligibilty left? Looks like PT wasn't going to be a problem; however, being recruited over may have been. If their father wanted his sons to play at UCLA all along and the injury happened to open an opportunity? Were the twins homesick?

    There are a bunch of reasons why this may have happened, but these seem to be the most likely. Regardless, UNC was put in a bad position and pappa Wear is the one that handled this situation. He is the one that waited until the last minute. Perhaps it was better for his kids not to announce while they still had a few weeks left of school, but they decided to do what favored them. I think they may have been good players to have on the team in the future, but in the short term and even in the long term- I think this worked out just fine.

  11. #791
    Quote Originally Posted by kong123 View Post
    I think they may have been good players to have on the team in the future, but in the short term and even in the long term- I think this worked out just fine.
    Unless Tyler Zeller has to miss some time with an injury. But really, what are the odds of that?

  12. #792
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Lincoln Ne
    Quote Originally Posted by kong123 View Post
    I have heard that Mrs Wear lived in Chapel Hill for much of the season with the father staying in Cali. Not sure how accurate that is, but I have heard that. It is also rumored that the hurt twin will have to sit out a season to heal his leg. If he has to sit out a season, I suppose UCLA is as good a place as any. His brother is just tagging along? Would his brother rather sit out a season too so that they remain in the same class and have the same amount of elligibilty left? Looks like PT wasn't going to be a problem; however, being recruited over may have been. If their father wanted his sons to play at UCLA all along and the injury happened to open an opportunity? Were the twins homesick?

    There are a bunch of reasons why this may have happened, but these seem to be the most likely. Regardless, UNC was put in a bad position and pappa Wear is the one that handled this situation. He is the one that waited until the last minute. Perhaps it was better for his kids not to announce while they still had a few weeks left of school, but they decided to do what favored them. I think they may have been good players to have on the team in the future, but in the short term and even in the long term- I think this worked out just fine.
    I have no problem with the kids acting as they did. We have had a long discussions before about how these kids only sign for a year at a time. Not to mention coaches can come and go as they please which can leave players high and dry. Does not matter why they left. They were looking for a chance to help themselves. You only get 4 years to prove to everyone you are capable of playing pro ball somewhere. I have a hard time finding fault with anything they did including the timing. To be honest though it is easier to say this when it is UNC!

  13. #793
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    raleigh
    man, they are pounding the wear family over on IC.........it's brutal... Just shows that if you don't want anything bad said about you over at UNC, don't leave the room....

  14. #794
    Regardless, UNC was put in a bad position and pappa Wear is the one that handled this situation. He is the one that waited until the last minute. Perhaps it was better for his kids not to announce while they still had a few weeks left of school, but they decided to do what favored them. I think they may have been good players to have on the team in the future, but in the short term and even in the long term- I think this worked out just fine.
    Dad had a good reason to handle it himself. Delvon Roe and family agree I'm sure.

  15. #795
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Washington, D.C.

    Gee

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueThru&Thru View Post
    If you had a chance to watch the Wears last year, UNC won't be missing much. I'm sure they would much rather have one and done Knox plus another possible pickup. All of the gnashing of teeth about thinness in the post?...well the Wears played mostly from the perimeter and were ineffective underneath. They did UNC a favor.
    I think you're selling them a little short. While I don't think the Wears were as good as the Brothers Plumlee, they were competent post players, especially on defense. They played on the perimeter because that's what their coach asked them to do, based on the oddly assembled roster. They both had nice outside shots. Nothing wrong with that. UNC will be hurting next year without them. Longer term, you're right that UNC might recruit more talented post players.

  16. #796
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Lincoln Ne
    Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    I think you're selling them a little short. While I don't think the Wears were as good as the Brothers Plumlee, they were competent post players, especially on defense. They played on the perimeter because that's what their coach asked them to do, based on the oddly assembled roster. They both had nice outside shots. Nothing wrong with that. UNC will be hurting next year without them. Longer term, you're right that UNC might recruit more talented post players.
    I thought I remember hearing that originally the Plumlee brothers grew up UNC fans and wanted to play there, but Roy was not interested in them. I cannot remember someone straighten me out please.

  17. #797
    Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    man, they are pounding the wear family over on IC.........it's brutal... Just shows that if you don't want anything bad said about you over at UNC, don't leave the room....
    I guess they ain't family no more.

  18. #798
    Quote Originally Posted by kong123 View Post
    I have heard that Mrs Wear lived in Chapel Hill for much of the season with the father staying in Cali. Not sure how accurate that is, but I have heard that. It is also rumored that the hurt twin will have to sit out a season to heal his leg. If he has to sit out a season, I suppose UCLA is as good a place as any. His brother is just tagging along? Would his brother rather sit out a season too so that they remain in the same class and have the same amount of elligibilty left? Looks like PT wasn't going to be a problem; however, being recruited over may have been. If their father wanted his sons to play at UCLA all along and the injury happened to open an opportunity? Were the twins homesick?

    There are a bunch of reasons why this may have happened, but these seem to be the most likely. Regardless, UNC was put in a bad position and pappa Wear is the one that handled this situation. He is the one that waited until the last minute. Perhaps it was better for his kids not to announce while they still had a few weeks left of school, but they decided to do what favored them. I think they may have been good players to have on the team in the future, but in the short term and even in the long term- I think this worked out just fine.
    Including: Roy Williams' coaching style and personality. Funny how that's not mentioned...

  19. #799
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    On the couch
    Quote Originally Posted by El_Diablo View Post
    Including: Roy Williams' coaching style and personality. Funny how that's not mentioned...
    What is striking to me is what the Wear's don't say, and that is anything good about UNC. They don't go negative, but unlike recent Duke transfers they do not say positive things about their former school or coach. I read a lot into that. This was not a happy breakup IMO and I would bet it was mainly because of Ol Roy and his antics and foolish behavior this past year. Lord only knows what he said to these kids when the microphones were OFF!

  20. #800
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    you guys are too much

Similar Threads

  1. Great mirror trick with twins
    By CameronBornAndBred in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-15-2008, 03:52 PM
  2. Stanford's Lopez twins declare for NBA draft
    By brevity in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-31-2008, 08:42 PM
  3. Stanford - Lopez Twins
    By gw67 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 03-29-2008, 06:16 AM
  4. Oh! The WOES! Of the O's!
    By EarlJam in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 09-16-2007, 05:40 PM
  5. Corporate IT Woes?
    By DevilAlumna in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-13-2007, 09:18 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •