Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Most Hated Current Dukie

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    This is a Tyler Adams thread, right? Maybe we can take the "most hated Duke player" conversation into another thread?
    This is correct and in light of this I figured we should start a thread so here you go. If a mod would please move the other posts over here.

I think it will come down to either Kyle or Mason.

What do you think?

You never can tell...although I'd argue that this year there was no most hated Dukie. No one was even close to the rancor generated by Laettner, Wojo, Dahntay, Redick or Paulus.

With Kyle staying, he'll probably inherit the mantle in his senior season.

I wouldn't be shocked if Kyrie rockets up the list though...

Quote Originally Posted by Big Pappa View Post

I think it will come down to either Kyle or Mason.

What do you think?
    As of the end of last season I think it'd have to be Kyle only because he received the media attention and playing time. However, I would not characterize Kyle as a hated Dukie (at this point) like others have been. But he does have the makeup to be one -- coming back for senior year, pre-season All America (likely), and should receive a lot of camera time to start the year...we know how this rubs some people.

All that said, I think Mason has a higher ceiling on the 'hatred index' if he stays for 3 or years. I say this because the camera caught the backboard slaps and occassional joshing with opponents last year (and he wasn't a focal point for the media). Wait until the camera and focus resides on him.

I hope they both give fans a reason to hate them...play with an edge, get in the opponents heads and win.

Good post.

I'm going to take heat for this one, because the kid is cool, but I'm going to say Curry.

He has a swagger/confidence that I like alot being a Dukie, but if he was a UNC player, I have to admit, I'd think he seemed a little cocky. Seth, if you happen to see this, I'm picking you to be a starter. If they hate you, you're doing something right.

Curry and Singler

Wink Laettner Wasn't Hated

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    You never can tell...although I'd argue that this year there was no most hated Dukie. No one was even close to the rancor generated by Laettner, Wojo, Dahntay, Redick or Paulus.
    The "hated" guy on that team was Hurley -- mostly because of his Oscar the Grouch expressions. The Danny Ferry taunts -- "Fer-r-r-r-y-y, Fer-r-r-y-y"-- migrated easily and euphonically to "Hur-r-r-l-l-e-e, Hur-r-r-l-l-e-e."

Laettner was a feared rival in the ACC but not a figure around whom a lot of controversy circled. Quite frankly, he looked like a choir boy. It was only later that folks began to perceive that he only seemed that way. And, of course, the Kentucky game and the technical foul contributed to the reassessment. But that was his third from last game.

sagegrouse
    Last edited by sagegrouse; 04-29-2010 at 02:35 PM.

Yeah, I also think Curry will be the most hated on the team.

At first, I thought Singler but venturing over to other teams sites recently Curry is getting an awful lot of "heat" for a guy that hasn't played a single second yet for Duke.

The "talking points memo" goes ESPN/MSM worships a guy who can't shoot (sub 40% shooter 2 seasons ago), can't hack it in the big leagues and is living off of his brother's name.

In the absence of a really strong "candidate" for this distinction (previous award winners include Hurley, Laettner, Redick, and Paulus), the haters may just go to their trusty default choice:

Mike Krzyzewski

I don't know why Singler isn't more hated already. He's got the three essential qualities - he's extremely good, cocky, and white.

Definitely good enough; definitely MORE than white enough. Maybe he needs to bump his cockiness up a bit. It's tough for kids from Oregon, with that laid back 'tude. And the guy is just so doggone nice. It's definitely a weakness in his game. But I have confidence that Kyle could pull it off.

But my money is on MP2. I'm waiting for some monster jam (that doesn't bounce off the rim) and a look that says, "That was Mason, with an M." Replayed on SportsCenter over and over, we've got our man.

Has there ever been a Duke player who wasn't hated by someone?

Funny enough, but I don't think Mason will be hated much even if he stays three years and blows up into an All-ACC player. People hate white boys that look and play like they do (style-wise), but they love white boys that can jump and dunk on people.

Even my most boneheaded UNC friends would trash our whole team this year, then grudgingly admit "But that Mason Plumlee is pretty nasty". He scares people!

KINGler

The guy that wins a national championship and named the final four MVP. The guy who comes back to school after winning the NC, when he could have easily been a first round pick. The guy who is an all around baller, and is always diving into the stands. ( not to sound racist but its true...the hated white guy) Most of these reasons would make anybody other than a Dukie a national favorite. but he is a Dukie sooo....it's Kyle Singler for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by PADukeMom View Post
    Has there ever been a Duke player who wasn't hated by someone?
    ...Not in my house. tons of hate

Singler

I'm actually surprised Singler isn't more hated. I've seen him talk smack and get physical with players he is guarding/ being guarded by. Most incidents with other teams over the last few years (though there haven't been many and haven't escalated) seem to involve Singler.

Seems as though some folks around here are getting obsessed with the Duke hate issue. Why else would anyone create a thread to discuss future hate? I don't see anyone in our future that would attract such off the wall, irrational emotion. It's a terrible burden to be laying on anyone's shoulders. It's almost as if you people enjoy it.

A colleague of mine (FSU grad) liked to rag on Duke's "pasty-white" players this year, and for some reason picked out Ryan Kelly as his whipping boy.
    I thought it was a little weird - I think he thought of him as the most "unathletic" and "normal" looking (other than being a McD AA and 6'10", of course).

One thing for sure, it's gonna be hard for anyone to hate Nolan.