Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 45
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Boston, MA
    This is a Duke forum. Whenever someone criticizes Duke, we automatically assume that they are part of a gang
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

    President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Northwest NC
    Quote Originally Posted by theAlaskanBear View Post
    Why do you feel you have to carry around an automatic hand-gun all the time, are you doing something dangerous and illegal? Because thats what people assume when you are black and have a hand gun. You are a drug dealer or gang-banger!
    Well people can assume whatever they want. I carry it for protection and because it is my right to do so. I will admit that I will probably go my entire life and never have a need to actually pull a gun on someone in self defense. However, should that moment come I will be prepared to protect myself and my family.

    And no I'm not doing anything dangerous or illegal and I'm not a drug dealer or a gang banger!
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Lots of nice people own guns.

    Lots of nice people own many guns.

    Lots of nice people collect guns and take pride in having multiple guns of the same type. The same way that someone might own 5 cases of 1982 Chateau Petrus, rather than just one, or 5 Michael Jordan Rookie cards, rather than just one.

    Lots of nice people collect guns and take pride in having custom guns.

    Some nice people own silencers. For a lot of people (maybe not you) it's kind of cool, even if it's just in a fantasy sort of way. But there are federal restrictions on who can own them.

    I'm not convinced Gilbert Arenas is a nice guy. He's shown some not so nice tendencies. But who am I to judge?

    I suspect Gilbert Arenas didn't know that he couldn't take possession of the silencers without EXTENSIVE paperwork and background checks that he might not be able to complete successfully.

    So he spent an insane amount of money buying guns with silencers he couldn't legally own (as it turned out). Hence the storage charges. Bummer for him. Expensive mistake.

  4. #24
    I have to say, this is a non-story.

    First, he's not in any criminal trouble over this gun purchase, just involved in what looks like pretty petty civil litigation. $70k in storage fees for 5 things that together could fit in a suitcase?

    Second, the guy is a gun collector. We all know that. No one's saying he was caught with five silenced pistols illegally concealed while busted for DUI.

    While I agree that the redneck hunter and anti-NRA stuff was stupid, I do think he's being judged differently, than, say, Peyton Manning would be in this situation.

    This part of his ongoing gun issues is a non-story.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Charlotte
    Quote Originally Posted by theAlaskanBear View Post
    I am not attacking you. Its your right to carry whatever gun you want, but big-freakin-deal about semi-auto vs auto. One you just have to squeeze, the other you have to pull the trigger each time, but it automatically reloads and cocks itself.

    Why do you feel you have to carry around an automatic hand-gun all the time, are you doing something dangerous and illegal? Because thats what people assume when you are black and have a hand gun. You are a drug dealer or gang-banger!
    Not to go off topic again...but...there is a HUGE HUGE difference between an automatic and a semi-automatic gun. You say you grew up around guns, but if you really did (which I highly doubt) then you would know the difference. Same goes with silencers. You can't just buy silencers or automatic weapons, not at gun shows, gun shops, not anywhere. That is a fact. Look at what your "thug" Gilbert had to go through just to attempt to get a silencer.

    Personally, I carry a gun on me at most times. I work in real estate and lots of times I have to let people know that since they are not making their payments on their homes they can't live there anymore...and yes, I have had a gun pointed at my head and at that moment not only did I not want to be in that situation ever again, but I told myself that I would at least have the option of defending myself if that were to appen again. And AlaskanBear I own many guns; a .380 I cary for protection, a .357 in my bedside table in case someone trys to rob me, a .38 for my wife for the same reason, a 12 Guage Shotgun for hunting, a 280 High Powered Rifle for big game hunting and lastly a .22 for my neices and nephews to learn how to shoot. I graduated from Duke and realize that a lot of people out there don't get the whole gun thing, just the same wat I don't get why people watch television shows like 'The Real Housewives of...'

    Now, back on track....

    Do I bring guns into places where they are not allowed, like Gilbert did? Absolutely not. That is what a responsible gun owner does, and hence what Gilbert did (whether yellow, red, white or brown) was not only illegal but extremely stupid. I'd like you to back up your assertion that he was being treated differently because he was black. What a cop out AlaskaBear! Shameless how you throw race around.

    I'm pretty sure if any pro sports player, including your example of Peyton Manning, pulled out a few guns on Jeff Saturday and told him to pick one the repercussions would be much higher than Gilbert, who has a history of being an idiot. To bring race into this discounts your argument...when you realized you said something to be intentionally inflammatory and people didn't take it very well (rightly so) you resorted to "well if he was white it would be different.." What a load of junk. Why can't people just be dumb and do dumb things, as opposed to being black and doing a dumb thing and thus getting different treatment?

    I see the worst of society on a daily basis, and must tell you that it doesn't matter what color you are...if you break the law you pay the price. If anything a big time NBA player is less likely to serve as long of a sentence because he can afford the best possible legal representation. I know you'll say he's being made an example of AlaskanBear but personally I'd rather be in Gilbert's shoes that in a white man's who brought guns into his job at the textile mill and did the same thing.

    Gilbert Arenas is an idiot, regardless of race, and did something that put a lot of people in harm's way and could have ended up killing someone. He should pay the price just like Plaxico, whose stray bullet could have easily killed someone. Being an athlete only means they get more attention.

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by CLT Devil View Post
    it doesn't matter what color you are...if you break the law you pay the price.
    In theory, at least.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Philly
    Quote Originally Posted by theAlaskanBear View Post
    Its just dumb men flashing their cash and cred, whether its Gilbert or some redneck hunter.
    Its been beaten to death, but Ursus Alaskan: none of your retorts commented on the fact you generalized people who own guns as rednecks. I was born in NorCal, grew up in Philly, went to a prep school, and own 2 guns. I don't "flash" them anywhere and I've never been called a redneck in my life.

    Just take your medicine and apologize.

    Quote Originally Posted by CEF1959 View Post
    Lots of nice people collect guns and take pride in having multiple guns of the same type. The same way that someone might own 5 cases of 1982 Chateau Petrus, rather than just one, or 5 Michael Jordan Rookie cards, rather than just one.
    Not quite with the wine reference. You own 5 cases so you can enjoy the wine several times and see it evolve over time.

    You aren't going to "run out" of the gun and if you have 5 of the same one, they will shoot just about the same.

    Now if you had some serious coordination with your fingers and toes maybe you could shoot all 5 at once...

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    On the couch
    Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    We should be clear, you aren't defending Arenas' purchase of 5 identical handguns with silencers. Correct?

    I raised the issue because Arenas' actions seemed to transcend the debate. To me the purchase demonstrated just how far removed Arenas is from my perception of normalcy.
    Tricky question. I would have to say that if, and this is a tremendous IF the purchase was legal, made with the appropriate permits and licensing, then yes I would defend his right, your right, or anyone's right to buy 5 handguns. I spent over 20 years in the military doing just that and firmly believe in the Constitutional right to bear arms.

    But let's be reasonable here, there is no legitimate civilian use for a silencer, and I am not ever sure they are legal. And if they are legal, then my opinion is that they should not be. So, NO I am not defending Gilbert Arenas in this case.

    The issue I have is with others imposing their biases and opinions on others... “you own a couple of guns, then you are a redneck, criminal, or just someone with an inferiority complex trying to make up for feelings of inadequacy”. THAT type of thinking is stupid.

    The comments made by AlaskanBear express the narrow-mindedness that scares the heck out of me. What business is it of his if I want to own 200 hand guns? His comments about automatic weapons demonstrate his basic lack of understanding on the issue since fully automatic weapons are illegal for civilians to own. I suggest that if he knows someone with fully automatic weapons he report them to the appropriate authorities.

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by oldnavy View Post
    What business is it of his if I want to own 200 hand guns?
    What business is it of ours if someone wants to own five silencers?

    (Not Arenas - he's shown that he's too much of a fool to handle the responsibilities of gun ownership. But in the abstract, the difference isn't obvious.)

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    raleigh
    Quote Originally Posted by DUKIECB View Post
    I am a concealed carry permit holder because I want to be able to protect myself and my family if I had to. I have the revolver on my night stand for the same reason
    i sure hope your "family" doesn't include kids....

  11. #31
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    On the couch
    Quote Originally Posted by theAlaskanBear View Post
    First of all, my post was intentionally inflammatory, because there is a cultural double-standard about guns and gun ownership. A black man with guns is always viewed as inherently more dangerous than a white man with guns. The reason I used "redneck hunter" was because its an equivalent of "thug" mantra so often used against NBA players. Please note that this is not aimed at anyone on the board in particular.

    Yes, I have been hunting, I grew up in the summer on farms in central Illinois. My uncles are avid hunters. I AM NOT ANTI-GUN. I don't see what Gilbert did as very different from what thousands of other gun collectors do all the time....

    Right when this story broke, I remember a Braves player I think (or Marlins) coming out and saying that he had brought guns into the lockerroom before...nobody gives a damn. Thousands and thousands of automatic weapons and guns are bought WITHOUT regulation at gun shows every year, so this legal/illegal gun crap is directly undermined by the government.

    What Gilbert did was STUPID, sure, but does anyone actually think he intended to hurt anyone? Everyone around Gilbert seems to think it was just a terrible attempt at trying to be funny. He is being made an example of, and by the way, no one would care if this happened in a baseball locker room with white players. The media would have never even picked it up.

    There are thousands upon thousands of illegal guns in the US, and how gun laws are enforced depend on who you are and where you live. If you are black automatically your gun intentions are suspect. You all question why he needs five berettas with silencers...why does anyone need WWII machine guns, modern automatic rifles, etc etc which are also common in the gun community? How you know that those berettas aren't intended as gifts to other rich men with gun collections rather than "trying to arm his gang" like Yancem suggested?

    If society really wants to start caring about gun violence, they can start caring about gun shows that contribute to the distribution of guns for blatantly illegal activities...like the drug war in Mexico.

    But this isnt about that, its about Arenas and the demonization of him.
    Seriously? You are now trying to spin your ridiculous statements into a racial issue? Poor Gilbert, had he only been white no one would have cared....
    is that it? Funny how the arguements always tend to track that way...

    Wow!

  12. #32
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Northeast Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by oldnavy View Post
    “you own a couple of guns, then you are a redneck, criminal, or just someone with an inferiority complex trying to make up for feelings of inadequacy”.
    Certainly this doesn't describe all gun owners, but certainly it does describe some gun owners.

  13. #33
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    On the couch
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke4Ever32 View Post
    Certainly this doesn't describe all gun owners, but certainly it does describe some gun owners.
    So does, "you drive a car" what is your point???

  14. #34
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Northeast Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by oldnavy View Post
    So does, "you drive a car" what is your point???
    That AlaskaBear's statements aren't inaccurate as applied to some individuals. It's not that the shoe doesn't fit, it just doesn't fit everyone. There is some truth there, just not as a general across-the-board proposition. I'm not willing to dismiss his statement as being completely invalid as quickly as others are.
    Last edited by Duke4Ever32; 04-30-2010 at 03:46 PM.

  15. #35
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    On the couch
    Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    What business is it of ours if someone wants to own five silencers?

    (Not Arenas - he's shown that he's too much of a fool to handle the responsibilities of gun ownership. But in the abstract, the difference isn't obvious.)
    The distinction I make is that it is hard to make a legitimate argument for having a silencer. Although the comment about using one to miss an intruder in your house has given me pause... Anyway, back to the point, IF it is legal, and I am not sure if it is or isn't, then I could care less if someone owned 200 silencers...

    This whole issue began with AlaskanBear making a ridiculously narrow-minded, and dumb comment that was both offensive and bigoted. Now he has made an even more ridiculous attempt to make this a race issue. I had just as soon forget the whole mess...

  16. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by CEF1959 View Post

    I'm not convinced Gilbert Arenas is a nice guy. He's shown some not so nice tendencies. But who am I to judge?
    "Dopes" come in all colors, creeds and sizes. Gilbert has shown himself to be a huge dope. A law-breaking dope. I used to think he was fairly ok, had some rough breaks as a kid but now I think he's not only an idiot, but a mental mess.
    I'm tired of Gil. Time for Leonsis to dump his sorry keister, clean house at Verizon Center, ditch those horrible unis, get rid of the obnoxious ear bleed music, hire some ushers who aren't obsessed with their mini-power domains, get some decent food in the concessions and try to mend a shattered franchise.
    Call me Ted! I can help you with the Caps, too.

  17. #37
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Northwest NC
    Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    i sure hope your "family" doesn't include kids....
    Well it does include one kid. The revolver on my nightstand stays in a compact safe with a finger pad entry system that only my wife and I know the combination to. I understand owning firearms comes with a great responsibility.
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

  18. #38
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Deeetroit City

    Red face

    Quote Originally Posted by oldnavy View Post
    Tricky question. I would have to say that if, and this is a tremendous IF the purchase was legal, made with the appropriate permits and licensing, then yes I would defend his right, your right, or anyone's right to buy 5 handguns. I spent over 20 years in the military doing just that and firmly believe in the Constitutional right to bear arms.

    But let's be reasonable here, there is no legitimate civilian use for a silencer, and I am not ever sure they are legal. And if they are legal, then my opinion is that they should not be. So, NO I am not defending Gilbert Arenas in this case. ...
    We are in complete agreement. It is the silencers that puts it way over the top for me. The five of a kind takes it out of the realm of "collectibles."

    What is the protocol for obtaining silencers and what justification must be shown? I liked the "indoor firing range" justification.

  19. #39
    Didn't Gil have a bullet proof vest in his possession?

  20. #40
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    On the couch
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke4Ever32 View Post
    That AlaskaBear's statements aren't inaccurate as applied to some individuals. It's not that the shoe doesn't fit, it just doesn't fit everyone. There is some truth there, just not as a general across-the-board proposition. I'm not willing to dismiss his statement as being completely invalid as quickly as others are.
    I am not sure I am following your logic. Are you defending broad sweeping bigoted statements, because that they may actually define certain people who fit those criteria? For example, you would be OK with all (insert race) are lazy, because some (insert race) are in fact lazy?

    Have I landed on a different planet here or something???

Similar Threads

  1. WorldWide Wes Agent?
    By BD80 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 03-07-2010, 01:45 PM
  2. Ed Davis has an agent?
    By YourLandlord in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 02-18-2010, 06:50 PM
  3. Hansbrough to Enter Without Agent
    By dukelion in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 04-23-2008, 07:31 PM
  4. Agent Zero
    By Black Mambo in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-18-2008, 03:46 AM
  5. Carrem Gay a double-double
    By Jim3k in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-23-2007, 11:48 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •