Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I feel sorry for K. He must feel sick about this. He and Calhoun have been such close friends over the years.

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    Quote Originally Posted by blueprofessor View Post
    OF--Wasn't there a problem re Davis before his commitment to UCLA, when he was leaning to Duke, to the effect that he demanded to speak to K during a very private time the week K's mom died?
    K and the staff were offended by Davis's self-absorbtion and soured on him?

Best regards--Blue Prof
    That's basically what I've heard.

UCONn is falling apart at the seams.

http://www.zagsblog.com/2010/05/27/u...es-providence/

ESPN is having some glitches, but UCONN has 8 violations.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5228593

Wait? Violations at UConn?? Shocking! ESPN is also running a story that the Pope does in fact wear a funny hat...

You have to wonder what sort of penalties Cleveland State will amass out of this problem...

Think so

Quote Originally Posted by blueprofessor View Post
    OF--Wasn't there a problem re Davis before his commitment to UCLA, when he was leaning to Duke, to the effect that he demanded to speak to K during a very private time the week K's mom died?
    K and the staff were offended by Davis's self-absorbtion and soured on him?

Best regards--Blue Prof
    IIRC, Feinstein writes about it in one of his books, but I don't remember all of the details. I believe that the assistants were still speaking to Davis, so it wasn't like Duke had forgotten about him.

Well, the taxpayers of CT must be thrilled about this after he just re-upped.

The NCAA report says Calhoun, "failed to promote an atmosphere of compliance." Maybe it is just me but that seems like a pretty serious allegation by the NCAA against a coach. Isn't that like saying he did not care if rules were broken? If this was a school that gave a damn about their reputation for honesty, the coach would be fired or allowed to gracefully retire.

I expect UConn to give Calhoun a raise and contract extension.

Wait, they already did that a few weeks ago even though everyone knew this slapdown was coming.

--Jason "At least we know where they stand on the honesty meter" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

uCONn

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    The NCAA report says Calhoun, "failed to promote an atmosphere of compliance." Maybe it is just me but that seems like a pretty serious allegation by the NCAA against a coach. Isn't that like saying he did not care if rules were broken? If this was a school that gave a damn about their reputation for honesty, the coach would be fired or allowed to gracefully retire.

I expect UConn to give Calhoun a raise and contract extension.

Wait, they already did that a few weeks ago even though everyone knew this slapdown was coming.

--Jason "At least we know where they stand on the honesty meter" Evans
    The part of the report that flabbergasted me was that two of Calhoun's assistants were found to have "lied to or misled" NCAA investigators.

That's a HUGE deal -- it's the reason Maryland got smacked down so hard in the Rudy Archer case. It's usually the one unforgiveable sin to the NCAA (even if the lying coaches were dismissed ... Bob Wade was fired too and it didn't help Maryland).

And yet, the story quotes a UConn official as saying the penalties will probably not include probation. Wow, if that's true, I'm baffled.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    ... and yet, the story quotes a UConn official as saying the penalties will probably not include probation. Wow, if that's true, I'm baffled.
    Not so surprising if you wonder whether or not said official is just trying his best to downplay the whole ordeal, which is what you would expect. Although, if this stuff keeps piling on he won't be able to just close his eyes and cross his fingers much longer. Also, props for the Émile Zola reference on the front page .

The part of the report that flabbergasted me was that two of Calhoun's assistants were found to have "lied to or misled" NCAA investigators.

That's a HUGE deal -- it's the reason Maryland got smacked down so hard in the Rudy Archer case. It's usually the one unforgiveable sin to the NCAA (even if the lying coaches were dismissed ... Bob Wade was fired too and it didn't help Maryland).

And yet, the story quotes a UConn official as saying the penalties will probably not include probation. Wow, if that's true, I'm baffled.
    No probation??!?! They "made improper phone calls and text messages to recruits, gave recruits improper benefits and improperly distributed free tickets to high school coaches and others." They also lied about it when the NCAA began investigating.

UConn's outside counsel who is handling this for the University says the penalities likely won't include probation because UConn did not gain any competitive advantage from the actions because Nate Miles never suited up for UConn.

I think he is spinning this as best he can and making arguments in the media that he hopes will reach the NCAA's ears.

My question would be-- are we supposed to believe they broke the rules over and over again when it came to recruiting Nate Miles but did everything honest in recruiting other kids? As Seth Meyers and amy Poehler would say, "Really??!"

--Jason "NCAA will hand out penalties in October... and I bet UConn is banned from the 2011 NCAA tourney" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

--Jason "NCAA will hand out penalties in October... and I bet UConn is banned from the 2011 NCAA tourney" Evans
    I don't see it, especially after Bristol buries the story. I'll take the other side of that bet.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    UConn's outside counsel who is handling this for the University says the penalities likely won't include probation because UConn did not gain any competitive advantage from the actions because Nate Miles never suited up for UConn.

I think he is spinning this as best he can and making arguments in the media that he hopes will reach the NCAA's ears.
    My guess is that the NCAA won't appreciate getting second guessed on what actions they should take.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

UConn will probably argue that they should just be banned retroactively from the 2010 NCAA tournament!

Quote Originally Posted by mgtr View Post
    UConn will probably argue that they should just be banned retroactively from the 2010 NCAA tournament!
    The "time served" argument. I like it!

I was always back and forth on whether Calhoun was a dirty guy or not. I don't think of him as the type to downright pay a kid, but I can definitely see the fostering of an atmosphere that is conducive to some questionable stuff. Not quite a win at all costs, but a win at some costs type of guy...then throw the assistant who actually did it under the bus and claim ignorance.

I didn't know he was good friends with Coach K as someone else mentioned. If so I would definitely think he's generally a good guy and that would alter my opinion of him. Is this actually true?

I thought that comment you reference was tongue firmly in cheek, Silky. My impression is that K and Calhoun are not exactly pals, although I could be wrong about that. Don't recall any particular animosity, but nor do I recall warm fuzzies between the two.

K's friends

I know K is very close to Jim Beoheim ... also PJ Carlesimo, Bobby Cremins and all of his ex-players in the coaching ranks. I think he and Mike Jarvis were friendly.

I never heard that he was close with Calhoun.

I know K is very close to Jim Beoheim ... also PJ Carlesimo, Bobby Cremins and all of his ex-players in the coaching ranks. I think he and Mike Jarvis were friendly.

I never heard that he was close with Calhoun.
    Boeheim was one of his assistant coaches in the 2008 Olympic team. He was the only college coach, the other 2 were pro coaches, Mike D'Antoni and Nate McMillan, so he obviously is very close with Boeheim.

As an aside, it took a while for people to realize what a damn good coach Boeheim is. I rank him there with the likes of Izzo, Roy, etc.

Ironic . . .

Am I mistaken, or are UConn's NCAA judgment day and "Midnight Madness" for the 2010 - 2011 season near-simultaneous? Can you imagine Dickie, Digger, Jay, and the remaining college hoops pundits that evening if the Huskies are precluded from post-season play!!!