Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by 4decadedukie View Post
    Am I mistaken, or are UConn's NCAA judgment day and "Midnight Madness" for the 2010 - 2011 season near-simultaneous? Can you imagine Dickie, Digger, Jay, and the remaining college hoops pundits that evening if the Huskies are precluded from post-season play!!!
    Dickie will have apoplexy if something happens to Calhoun!

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    --Jason "NCAA will hand out penalties in October... and I bet UConn is banned from the 2011 NCAA tourney" Evans
    HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

No way.

HMMMMM. This makes it interesting ...

A Nov. 22, 1999, memo from Bill Shults, then a university compliance officer, informs the basketball staff that former team manager Josh Nochimson was off limits because he was considered to be an agent by the NCAA.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5272784

The staff then went after Nate Miles, through Nochimson.

Ruh, roh.

Seems like college basketball is in for some rocky times.

Leagues are breaking up, next year the Big East will be little, UNC--garbage, Izzo, the pros, tons of top talent gone, the NCAA soon to be eclipsed by mega conferences making their own mega deals with ESPN. If I were the NCAA, I'd be careful who I bashed. Might just help Calhoun skate, might not be the time to be too righteous.

Quote Originally Posted by greybeard View Post
    Seems like college basketball is in for some rocky times.

Leagues are breaking up, next year the Big East will be little, UNC--garbage, Izzo, the pros, tons of top talent gone, the NCAA soon to be eclipsed by mega conferences making their own mega deals with ESPN. If I were the NCAA, I'd be careful who I bashed. Might just help Calhoun skate, might not be the time to be too righteous.
    If the NCAA would slap USC football, they'll slap UConn basketball.

I agree that there are a few issues out there, but the fact that tany particular conferences or any particular teams may be down should not play into it much. There were a lot of big names sitting home this March, and the NCAA was treated to one of the most watched tournaments and championship games in years.

Also, I assume that the NCAA benefits financially from these conference realignments and tv contracts or they wouldn't happen in the first place.

It's the perfect time to clean up Calhoun, Calipari, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    ... I assume that the NCAA benefits financially from these conference realignments and tv contracts or they wouldn't happen in the first place. ...
    Quite the opposite, this is leading to the top 50 or so schools forming uber conferences and stepping AWAY from the NCAA. At least for football.

The top schools want to keep ALL of the money their football programs generate, rather than than just take what the BCS will offer. Without the shared revenue from the top 50 programs and with the cost of Title IX, few if any of the remaining schools would be able to afford to keep football.

On the plus side, soccer should become much more popular as the football scholarships dry up. Soccer being perhaps the least expensive competitive sport to finance.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Quite the opposite, this is leading to the top 50 or so schools forming uber conferences and stepping AWAY from the NCAA. At least for football.

The top schools want to keep ALL of the money their football programs generate, rather than than just take what the BCS will offer. Without the shared revenue from the top 50 programs and with the cost of Title IX, few if any of the remaining schools would be able to afford to keep football.

On the plus side, soccer should become much more popular as the football scholarships dry up. Soccer being perhaps the least expensive competitive sport to finance.
    Shows what happens when I assume. Thanks.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketb...=ap-uconn-ncaa

The NCAA is giving Connecticut more time to respond to allegations that the school’s basketball program committed eight major rules violations. ... The school says the extension was based on requests by the coaches cited
    Well that just can't be good.

Former assistants Beau Archibald and Patrick Sellers resigned amid accusations that they lied to investigators, who found hundreds of improper calls and texts from UConn staff to recruits.
    This could get VERRRRYY interesting. (Cue Artie Johnson voice)

Coach Jim Calhoun also is cited in the NCAA report for failing to promote an atmosphere of compliance
    Duh!