Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Anyone have any idea what numbers the new Dukies will wear?

I know Kyrie will be number 1, and Seth will be number 3.

Kyrie #1
    Seth #30
    Felix #13 I think
    Thornton
    Hairston #42 or #15 I don't think it's been decided yet.

So much for the "K doesn't let players wear 1" meme. Unless this already was deconstructed on page 58 of one of the Kyrie threads.

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    So much for the "K doesn't let players wear 1" meme. Unless this already was deconstructed on page 58 of one of the Kyrie threads.
    It's been talked about for quite a while. There was an interview by Jason William where he brings up that K wouldn't let him wear #1 but that he is letting Irving. It seemed to be mostly in jest so I don't know if Williams really wanted to wear #1 but it is interesting that Irving will be the first player for K to wear #1. I wonder why the change of heart?

Quote Originally Posted by yancem View Post
    It's been talked about for quite a while. There was an interview by Jason William where he brings up that K wouldn't let him wear #1 but that he is letting Irving. It seemed to be mostly in jest so I don't know if Williams really wanted to wear #1 but it is interesting that Irving will be the first player for K to wear #1. I wonder why the change of heart?
    Maybe with all the numbers in the rafters, the selection is just getting sparse.

One of many changes in the program. They seem to be working though.

This was asked during the Jordan All-stars sportsnation chat. He said that K asked him what number he wanted, and when he told K #11– K said it's not available and offered him to wear #1.

What surprised me was that he offered.

Sorry, I've been preoccupied the past few weeks contemplating the fact that we're national champions to follow trends in artihmeto-sartorial practices.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanAssassin View Post
    What surprised me was that he offered.
    What surprises me is he didn't know Eleven was taken. Gag. OK, I jest. Sort of.

I would be OK with recycling retired numbers, actually, if the player reminds me a lot of the retired player and the retiree gives permission. There is precedent at other organizations of players getting permission from honorees to wear retired numbers.

I would be OK with recycling retired numbers, actually, if the player reminds me a lot of the retired player and the retiree gives permission. There is precedent at other organizations of players getting permission from honorees to wear retired numbers.
    At some point, it may become necessary. Obviously that point will not come any time remotely soon, as there are still plenty of numbers available. But at some point we're likely to have hung several more jerseys. Either the NCAA will need to allow numbers above 5 to be used, or we'll have to recycle some retired numbers.

Sorry, I've been preoccupied the past few weeks contemplating the fact that we're national champions to follow trends in artihmeto-sartorial practices.

Not to sound weird but I watched his Ustream a couple months ago and he said he knew number 11 was taken.

Hairston's wearing 15 I heard. Kyrie is wearing 1. Felix and Thornton I haven't got the slightest clue.

12. It just goes to show that K is changing his ways trying to get Duke of being thought of as so corporate.

The important thing is that the jersey says DUKE on the front.

Seth is definitely taking No. 30, Airowe? I know it's a Curry tradition, but I didn't know if they'd want him to have it so soon after Scheyer.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    The important thing is that the jersey says DUKE on the front.
    Well of course, but that's not really the point of the thread,

But I think it's confirmed that Seth is number 30 next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Starter View Post
    Seth is definitely taking No. 30, Airowe? I know it's a Curry tradition, but I didn't know if they'd want him to have it so soon after Scheyer.
    Yep. It was talked about when he came on board. Scheyer not getting the number retired was a condition obviously. I don't see that happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Welcome2DaSlopes View Post
    Well of course, but that's not really the point of the thread,

But I think it's confirmed that Seth is number 30 next year.
    And that there are 4 Nat'l Championship Banners in the rafters (again not the point of the thread but I have to say or post this at least once a day.)

Has Josh's jersey number been decided yet between 15 and 42? Personally, I'd prefer 15 for Josh.

Also, is it possible that in the next few years retired numbers will become recycled, I was just wondering.

available numbers

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    At some point, it may become necessary. Obviously that point will not come any time remotely soon, as there are still plenty of numbers available. But at some point we're likely to have hung several more jerseys. Either the NCAA will need to allow numbers above 5 to be used, or we'll have to recycle some retired numbers.
    Well, the key word is "at some point" -- but that point is far, far into the future.

There are 57 available numbers using 0-1-2-3-4-5 in some combination of one or two digits (keep in mind that 0 and 00 are available).

So far, Duke has retired 13 numbers.

That leaves 44 -- 43 if Kyle's jersey is retired after this season, which might happen if he has a great year.

Even so, Duke would have to retire another 25 jersies or so before we even get close to running out of numbers.

I hope I last long enough for that to be a problem ... I'd love to see 25 more Duke players of the caliber of the 13 who have been honored.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterRoddy View Post
    Has Josh's jersey number been decided yet between 15 and 42? Personally, I'd prefer 15 for Josh.

Also, is it possible that in the next few years retired numbers will become recycled, I was just wondering.
    Josh will wear #15. If the starting lineup is as nearly everyone imagines (Hey hedevil ) on the court to start the game there will be the numbers 1, 2, 12, 21, and 5.