Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Quote Originally Posted by PADukeMom View Post
    IMHO though to put these talented young men who worked their butts off to win a NC on the same level as a mass murdering regime went over the line.
    Depends on what you mean by putting on the same level. The character does not say Duke is equally bad as Nazis; the character does not say Duke is the moral equivalent of a mass murdering regime. The character apparently hates Nazis (b/c Nazis are bad). The character hates Duke just as much as something really bad. It (the hate) says nothing about the moral worth or unworth of Duke ... the comparison speaks only to the level of Duke hatred the character holds -- it only says something about the character.

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    Depends on what you mean by putting on the same level. The character does not say Duke is equally bad as Nazis; the character does not say Duke is the moral equivalent of a mass murdering regime. The character apparently hates Nazis (b/c Nazis are bad). The character hates Duke just as much as something really bad. It (the hate) says nothing about the moral worth or unworth of Duke ... the comparison speaks only to the level of Duke hatred the character holds -- it only says something about the character.
    This is a worthwhile perspective, involving careful analysis of something like the logic of the character's syntax. It is probably a stretch, however, to think that the line as delivered evoked in millions of viewers such a point-by-point breakdown. As delivered, surely it was intended to evoke a quick-not-thinking laugh or smile. It's an interesting point, again, debatable, whether the smile for most came from, "Gee, that guy really hates Duke, because the Nazis were evil," or from, "Ha, yeah, those Dukies are like Nazis, a-holes."

On the debatable point: yes, it's possible that whoever we may "credit" with this line, that person intended the audience to think - in the blink of an eye - about the depth of this person's weird hatred of Duke; specifically, as you've concluded, "it only says something about the character." I'm guessing it's more likely, however, that the author of the line was going for a much cheaper laugh, not at the character's over-the-top hatred, but at Duke's culturally-sanctioned "evil." [Admitting, of course, that characterizing Duke-hate as "cultured" is a crock.]

Yah, well, the other day at spin class, the instructor yelled out, "Hey weezie! Did you hear how they were hating on Duke last night at the end Glee?! I thought of you right away!!! HAHAHA."
    So, if this guy noticed, I'm guessing a few other folks did.
    I pointed at my National Champions shirt and waved back at him. Well, it was kind of a wave.

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Yah, well, the other day at spin class, the instructor yelled out, "Hey weezie! Did you hear how they were hating on Duke last night at the end Glee?! I thought of you right away!!! HAHAHA."
    So, if this guy noticed, I'm guessing a few other folks did.
    I pointed at my National Champions shirt and waved back at him. Well, it was kind of a wave.
    I believe it is referred to as a "salute." Besides, I believe it is also appropriate to make a gesture to convey that we are, indeed, # 1.

I saw this explanation in the Huffington Post comments as well. Didn't work there, doesn't work here.

Take the best possible interpretation of the statement, the one that is most gracious and kind to the speaker, and it's still horrible. That is all you need to know.

I'll never understand why people want to investigate baldness with a fine-toothed comb. (Apologies to Mr. O'Malley.)

I don't believe it is "gracious" or "kind" to the speaker to say the speaker is filled with hate. It simply is: a statement of 'fact.'

The fact of the speaker's hate-filled heart says nothing whatsoever about the objective, "factual" moral worth of the thing (here, Duke) that is hated by the speaker. As Duke fans, we should know this as well as anyone: what others say is a reflection on those others, and in no way necessarily comports with the actual worth of the thing hated (think Maryland fans).

"Don’t Take Anything Personally – Nothing others do is because of you. What others say and do is a projection of their own reality, their own dream. When you are immune to the opinions and actions of others, you won’t be the victim of needless suffering." - The Four Agreements

I hate Duke b/c they are worse than Nazis.
    I hate Duke as much as I hate Nazis.

Both statements indicate the speaker is filled with hate. Not kind or gracious to say that about the speaker -- also not unkind to say that about the speaker -- it just is. In the first statement, the speaker is wrong (Duke is not worse than the Nazis). In the second statement -- if the speaker is thinking that Duke is equal to or worse than the Nazis (the speaker doesn't say) -- the speaker is also wrong.

In that type of context I do agree with your arguement. I can take a joke; heck my brothers live in Maryland, I have 'Nova friends & my plumbing supply rep is a huge Carolina fan. I do get it.

My point of thinking this joke was in bad taste is suppose the nazi word was changed with the deplorable other "n" word. How upset would everyone have been then? If that would have had everyone upset then the nazi reference should have as well. That is just my opinion which I am allowed to make.

Quote Originally Posted by PADukeMom View Post
    My point of thinking this joke was in bad taste is suppose the nazi word was changed with the deplorable other "n" word. How upset would everyone have been then? If that would have had everyone upset then the nazi reference should have as well. That is just my opinion which I am allowed to make.
    First of all, as many other posters will say, don't be afraid to put forth an opinion, especially when it's well thought out.

However, I will disagree. I don't think it's equivalent to replace "nazi" with a more deplorable word and use that as the measuring stick. The reason it doesn't offend me is because nazi is the most overused adjective for bad things ever. Everything anyone has had an opinion about, at some point has been compared to a nazi (see Godwin's Law). I understand if using nazi is still offensive to some people, especially people whose families were directly affected by nazis. I'm not going to get worked up by it.
    Trinity '09

Ummmm... pretty sure that Nazis are universally hated. Changing Nazis with a racist phrase completely changes the dynamics (and intent) of that quote. I really think you're reading into this a little too much. I have absolutely no issue with what Glee did. I even laughed when I saw it (yup - I just admitted to watching Glee).

However, I don't want to argue with anyone. The posters arguing this subject has been entertaining enough. Please continue!
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by Andre Buckner Fan View Post
    Well, if that's the case then he's certainly touched a nerve. I don't think it was really over the line... for better or worse Nazi comparisons have become almost humorously overused (see Godwin's Law).

I prefer this website's approach to bad Duke comparisons.
    Agreed. Calling someone a nazi or even Hitler has become commonplace for someone that runs a tight ship at work, or is strictly by the book. (see "soup nazi" episode of Senfeild).

I think we're being a little over-sensitive here because the guy used Nazi hate to describe the level of his hate for Duke. If he had said Kentucky or Calipari, we would probably all be posting how hilarious we thought it was.

The quality assurance supervisor at my company is known throughout the plant as "Hitler" because he doesn't let anything pass that is not 100% by the book. He has rejected a shipment going to Nissan because it had a mispelled word on it.

Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    I think we're being a little over-sensitive here because the guy used Nazi hate to describe the level of his hate for Duke. If he had said Kentucky or Calipari, we would probably all be posting how hilarious we thought it was..
    I think that's pretty unlikely. It probably just would have been ignored.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    I think that's pretty unlikely. It probably just would have been ignored.
    Nah, probably not. We're on our second lengthy thread here completely dedicated to Kentucky, who doesn't play in our conference and whom we haven't played in over eight years (I think?). Not only would it almost assuredly not have been ignored if the line had referenced UK, Glee probably would have won some new fans around here -- as well it should, the episode in question here really was quite good, as per usual.