Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    IIRC, Adam Sandler wears a Duke shirt briefly in Happy Gilmore.

Gumbo - once more

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    This thread - or at least the Glee stuff - will fade because of lack of interest in pursuing the real difference of opinion about whether the scene and dialogue in question was parody or not. I still do not know, but I've not succeeded in eliciting many straightforward responses to the questions I posed in post #81. I do not recant, unless and until persuaded by substantive argument. But I do relent and thus, for all intents and purposes, chill out.
    I think a couple of us did argue that it was not a parody, based on the context of the scene and the development of the characters. The only better argument I think you're going to get would be from the author him/herself to tell you what his/her intent was. It was probably intended to be humorous that the two guys bonded over Duke-hate, but not parodic. As far as the comparison to Nazis goes, I think that unfortunately, that has become the standard if you want to peg some entity as "evil." It's the kind of thing this regular-guy-character who is passionate about sports would say.

This thread will die out since it's not all that germane to the topic of this board, but I am glad you brought up the issues you did, even if for some reason you are not convinced by my observations/arguments (which are pretty solid!).

Quote Originally Posted by stillcrazie View Post
    I think a couple of us did argue that it was not a parody, based on the context of the scene and the development of the characters. The only better argument I think you're going to get would be from the author him/herself to tell you what his/her intent was. It was probably intended to be humorous that the two guys bonded over Duke-hate, but not parodic. As far as the comparison to Nazis goes, I think that unfortunately, that has become the standard if you want to peg some entity as "evil." It's the kind of thing this regular-guy-character who is passionate about sports would say.

This thread will die out since it's not all that germane to the topic of this board, but I am glad you brought up the issues you did, even if for some reason you are not convinced by my observations/arguments (which are pretty solid!).
    This thread will hopefully die because it's really not worth discussing. I mentioned the Glee line and this thread to a friend yesterday and the response was "that thread is exactly why people hate Duke"..

Jon Stewart Show

I think it is a great off season thread and I hope it doesn't die 'til October. It reminds me of Where's Waldo.

drdoctormd mentions the recent clip on Jon Stewart after the championship. In case you didn't know, Duke's got an insider...
    http://dukemagazine.duke.edu/dukemag...9/artist1.html

Quote Originally Posted by bluebear View Post
    This thread will hopefully die because it's really not worth discussing. I mentioned the Glee line and this thread to a friend yesterday and the response was "that thread is exactly why people hate Duke"..
    I feel like people will find reason to hate on duke no matter what. Whatever Duke fans are doing..."see? That's why people hate Duke"

Celebrating a win with a bonfire "that's why people hate Duke" (what about maryland?). Have a thread on your own teams forums about a slight against your school and team? "that's why people hate Duke." Basically, do anything that any other fan may do for their own team reasonably and "that's why people hate Duke."

I just roll my eyes and move on. Then again, that's probably why people hate Duke.
    Duke '03
    Tent 1 '99/'00

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDevil View Post
    I feel like people will find reason to hate on duke no matter what. Whatever Duke fans are doing..."see? That's why people hate Duke"

Celebrating a win with a bonfire "that's why people hate Duke" (what about maryland?). Have a thread on your own teams forums about a slight against your school and team? "that's why people hate Duke." Basically, do anything that any other fan may do for their own team reasonably and "that's why people hate Duke."

I just roll my eyes and move on. Then again, that's probably why people hate Duke.
    I agree in general (that people will come up with any reason) but this thread in particular makes Duke fans look whiney and like we have a persecution complex..who cares about some joke line in a tv show..people were concerned in the past that all this Duke bball hatred would result in players not wanting to come here..we just won an NC, we are likely pre-season #1..We have some great recruits inked (and hopefully more inked soon)...So who cares about Duke "hate"...would people prefer Duke bball be hated or irrelevant? Embrace the hate...it's likely to get a hole lot worse over the next few years..

I agree in general (that people will come up with any reason) but this thread in particular makes Duke fans look whiney and like we have a persecution complex..who cares about some joke line in a tv show..people were concerned in the past that all this Duke bball hatred would result in players not wanting to come here..we just won an NC, we are likely pre-season #1..We have some great recruits inked (and hopefully more inked soon)...So who cares about Duke "hate"...would people prefer Duke bball be hated or irrelevant? Embrace the hate...it's likely to get a hole lot worse over the next few years..
    If you read through the entire thread, it's not really or even mostly complaining about Duke hate. Most of us, myself included, do embrace the hate. There's some analysis of the show and discussion of other instances in which Duke shows up in various ways in movies and TV. It's the off-season, and Duke gets mentioned on a popular TV show. Expect it to be discussed, over-analyzed, etc.

I agree that your friend is reaching. Few people outside of UNC fans know why they actually hate Duke. And we're not the only place discussing this topic.

Huffington Post has a story (sorry if this has been linked to earlier, but I didn't see it).

Oh and I love Jon Stewart
    Last edited by Andre Buckner Fan; 04-29-2010 at 12:17 PM.

If you read through the entire thread, it's not really or even mostly complaining about Duke hate. Most of us, myself included, do embrace the hate. There's some analysis of the show and discussion of other instances in which Duke shows up in various ways in movies and TV. It's the off-season, and Duke gets mentioned on a popular TV show. Expect it to be discussed, over-analyzed, etc.
    But, most of all, remember always that people "hate" Duke because we win. We win so much and draw so many viewers that people resent Duke and get to hate us a lot. Superb!

Love the Hate!

Quote Originally Posted by scheyersbiggestfan View Post
    drdoctormd mentions the recent clip on Jon Stewart after the championship. In case you didn't know, Duke's got an insider...
    http://dukemagazine.duke.edu/dukemag...9/artist1.html
    So does North Carolina (Wyatt Cenac).

Ah, I knew him when...

Interesting note (sorry if its already been mentioned). But the actor who says the line is Mike O'Malley. Mike O'Malley's sister is one Kerry O'Malley, a duke grad. I think O'Malley probably came up with the line to rib on his sister.

Ahhhhh

Quote Originally Posted by ironman View Post
    Interesting note (sorry if its already been mentioned). But the actor who says the line is Mike O'Malley. Mike O'Malley's sister is one Kerry O'Malley, a duke grad. I think O'Malley probably came up with the line to rib on his sister.
    Having watched Mike O'Malley stand-up and his shows for years, this makes perfect sense.

Nah, that can't be it. They probably just despise Duke.

(Sorry -- my sarcasm didn't come through there)

While I agree that we are, as a collective fan base, a bit oversensitive to criticism, I hardly think it's fair to say that people hate us because we get bothered by somebody saying "I hate Duke like I hate the Nazis." "Can't take a Nazi joke in good fun" cannot possibly be a reason to justify Duke hate.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Well, if that's the case then he's certainly touched a nerve. I don't think it was really over the line... for better or worse Nazi comparisons have become almost humorously overused (see Godwin's Law).

I prefer this website's approach to bad Duke comparisons.
    Last edited by Andre Buckner Fan; 04-29-2010 at 02:07 PM.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Starter View Post
    (Sorry -- my sarcasm didn't come through there)
    My bad

Sorry I wasn't specific enough. The key word, for purposes of your tag quote here, was the word "many" in my tag quote that you quoted. I assume the issue simply isn't important enough to many posters, who either think it was parody or don't care, as they think this is not a big deal, maybe even a "whiny" issue. I prefer not to be labeled a "whiner," and hope even more not to be one, but it's conceivable.... As I posted before, I relent, but do not recant.

As to not being "convinced" by your observations/arguments, well, that's literally accurate in a narrow sense, but not really. Having admitted that "I do not know" whether it was parody or not, and hoping, but failing, to elicit a fuller [= "many" = "more"] discussion of the controversy, I lean strongly toward the conclusions [i.e., it was not parody, it did cross a line, etc.] you have stated in several posts. I suspect no one would counter your spot-on observation that Hitler/Nazis has become a handy evil-peg, and "It's the kind of thing this regular-guy-character who is passionate about sports would say."

This thread has done nothing to change my view that one should think carefully before coming anywhere close to comparing X to either Hitler or Nazis. And I say this as someone who in the past few months has compared X to fascism. I'm rethinking.

Honestly I wouldn't have been offended if the joke stopped at "I hate Duke" or Duke suck or gets all the calls. I would have laughed & gave props for the mention.

IMHO though to put these talented young men who worked their butts off to win a NC on the same level as a mass murdering regime went over the line.

Ah...whatever. Who watches Fox anyway