Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    It is important to note; there are a number of writers in Hollywood from both Duke and Carolina... I've known a few stories where they have been in the same room. And yes, the hatred usually bubbles up. I'd be curious to know if one of the Glee writers was a UNC grad.

I remember when they screened "The Program" on campus... that was an AWESOME time.

Another show; Clocktower quad was used as a shot on "Fringe" within the last year... I think as a stand in for Harvard maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by devildownunder View Post
    In 1988, when Bill Cosby's alma mater, Temple, was ranked No.1, he made a promise that if anyone knocked off the Owls, he would wear a sweater with that school's name on it, on the air. Well, we know what happened to the Owls that year -- and the Cos' made good on his promise, too. Although, IIRC, it looked like the sweater was faded or something. the "DUKE" letters were somewhat faint. Not really hard to see but not as bold as you would normally expect them to be, either.
    There's a picture in my yearbook from that year showing Cosby wearing the Duke shirt - I think it was a sweatshirt. The picture is poor quality - an indoor shot with a film camera (ISO 100 probably!) of a pre-cable TV broadcast that wasn't coming in all that well through the gothic stone. Yet the contrast of the letters D-U-K-E with the background of the shirt was pretty clear. I don't recall them being faint. Just the picture of the TV image was blurry.

Quote Originally Posted by bluepenguin View Post
    On tonight's episode two guys sit down to watch the game. We see Duke on the TV. One guy says "i hate duke like I hate the nazi's"

I guess that makes up for "In the Middle" which predicted a Duke championship, before the final four.
    It was actually a very realistic scene. See, Glee is set in a suburb of Charlotte, NC, and the character is going to be going to UNC next year because he didn't get in to Duke.

Frank's Place

In the late 80's there was a show called "Frank's Place" set in New Orleans. One of the repeating characters was a slightly dipsomaniac lawyer who on more than one occasion referenced his Duke degree. As I recall, his boozing was more a badge of world-weariness from not quite fitting in.

The Glee reference better explains the Heels loss at Cameron. I thought it was just a good old whopping but now I know it was really a blitzkreig. The definition describes the 82-50 win exactly: concentrating overwhelming force and rapid speed to break through enemy lines, and once the latter is broken, proceeding without regard to its flank.

Ghostbusters,

Quote:

"You might want to check those Duke University mean averaging studies on controlled psychokinesis."

From Ray Stantz I believe. I'm sure this references the contraversial and former Duke School of Parapsychology.

In the book "The Emperor of Ocean Park" by Stephen L. Carter, the main character's wife cheats on him with a former Duke basketball player.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Remember JAG? Catherine Bell was supposed to be a Duke Law grad.
    Catherine Bell can be anything she wants to be!

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    In the movie "Me, Myself and Irene" one of the characters is trying to get into an Ivy league school, and his brother says something like "you better study or you'll end up at Duke."

Also, the book "Kiss the Girls" actually takes place in Durham and around the Duke campus. The university decided not to allow them to film the movie on campus based on the subject matter.
    Yeah, Campus shots were done over at the Dump on the Hump.

Quote Originally Posted by Starter View Post
    My guess here is they're more parodying people's irrational hatred of Duke, than Duke itself. The line in question also paraphrases another line that had everyone up in arms unnecessarily, when Kanye West rhymed in "Flashing Lights" that he hates the paparazzi more than the Nazis. I think NYDukie had the right idea about it. Everyone else, you know, probably can chill out a bit. (I'm Jewish, by the way).
    I don't think it was a parody. The guy who says the line is someone we're supposed to like. This was the first episode I've seen, and the whole show really plays on your emotions. I think the writers threw in that line to make the character even more sympathetic.

P.S. I think the John Krasinski character in "It's Complicated" wore a Duke shirt.

Idol connection

American Idol judge Kara Dioguardi went to Duke but failed to mention this year's championship after Duke won. Last season, contestant Anoop Desai was a Tar Heel so of course he mentioned their title after they won.

Quote Originally Posted by stillcrazie View Post
    I don't think it was a parody. The guy who says the line is someone we're supposed to like. This was the first episode I've seen, and the whole show really plays on your emotions. I think the writers threw in that line to make the character even more sympathetic.

P.S. I think the John Krasinski character in "It's Complicated" wore a Duke shirt.
    The show is full of off color and over the top lines..I don't think they were necessarily parodying the irrational hatred of Duke but it was intentionally hyperbolic..Who cares..embrace the "hate", it's only sign of Duke's success...

There is a scene in one of the first few seasons of "The Wire" in which a few members of, I believe, the Barksdale crew are having a meeting and one of them is wearing a Duke jersey. (My details are sketchy, but I know the jersey is in the show at some point.)

Kriss Kross wore Duke and UNC gear in the video for "Jump."

Quote Originally Posted by bluebear View Post
    The show is full of off color and over the top lines..I don't think they were necessarily parodying the irrational hatred of Duke but it was intentionally hyperbolic..Who cares..embrace the "hate", it's only sign of Duke's success...
    I didn't think it was hyperbolic at all, at least not compared to what you hear from the average UNC fan. I applaud the show for the message it sends to high school students and wonder if having a show like that might have made it easier for me in high school. On the other hand, everything about the show seemed designed to manipulate your emotions and I am not sure if I will watch it again.

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    Quote Originally Posted by devildownunder View Post
    In 1988, when Bill Cosby's alma mater, Temple, was ranked No.1, he made a promise that if anyone knocked off the Owls, he would wear a sweater with that school's name on it, on the air. Well, we know what happened to the Owls that year -- and the Cos' made good on his promise, too. Although, IIRC, it looked like the sweater was faded or something. the "DUKE" letters were somewhat faint. Not really hard to see but not as bold as you would normally expect them to be, either.
    Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    There's a picture in my yearbook from that year showing Cosby wearing the Duke shirt - I think it was a sweatshirt. The picture is poor quality - an indoor shot with a film camera (ISO 100 probably!) of a pre-cable TV broadcast that wasn't coming in all that well through the gothic stone. Yet the contrast of the letters D-U-K-E with the background of the shirt was pretty clear. I don't recall them being faint. Just the picture of the TV image was blurry.
    As referenced earlier in this thread, Cosby's "promise" was a bet with a DUMB member while at the regionals in the '88 Tourney. After Duke beat Temple in the regional final, with one of the greatest defensive performances I've ever seen by Billy King on Mark Macon, Coz paid off on the bet at the end of, I think, the first episode of the following season of "The Cosby Show". Cosby came into his bedroom wearing a Duke sweatshirt, with "DUKE" boldly printed across the chest, and, IIRC, wearing a Duke hat that he takes off as he enters the room. The sweatpants might have been Duke ones, too.

I was on campus at the time, and I remember the Duke Stores folks making a big deal of sending Dr. Cosby a care package full of Duke clothing...
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Quote Originally Posted by grossbus View Post
    "(Myron Bolitar), who is a former point guard on a national championship Duke b-ball team"

i believe myron was a forward. a contemporary, who played at unc, arranged the injury (knee) while myron was playing for the celtics. that injury essentially ended his career.
    Definitely was a point guard, and you're right about the thug who arranged the hard foul that caused the injury.

Someone on DBR several years ago mentioned Coben's Myron Bolitar series and I've read every one. Quite entertaining, with witty self-deprecating humor. I highly recommend them.

--grad_devil

Quote Originally Posted by KyDevilinIL View Post
    There is a scene in one of the first few seasons of "The Wire" in which a few members of, I believe, the Barksdale crew are having a meeting and one of them is wearing a Duke jersey. (My details are sketchy, but I know the jersey is in the show at some point.)
    Yep. I've seen the scene, and it's definitely a Duke jersey.

Bozo the Clown went to unc.

Tom Wolfe wrote a book about us once. Well, he didn't, but he did.

You guys take everything so seriously, all the Duke hate this and that, yet you watch Glee.

wow, I got it.
    ~rthomas