Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Add Glee to Duke haters club

On tonight's episode two guys sit down to watch the game. We see Duke on the TV. One guy says "i hate duke like I hate the nazi's"

I guess that makes up for "In the Middle" which predicted a Duke championship, before the final four.

I know, my wife was watching it and we both caught it. The Nazi reference is a bit much but you just take it with a grain of salt. Look at this way, how many college teams get mentioned on prime time shows??? Not too many for what it's worth!

I found the line to be in really poor taste. It implies that the actions of the Nazis were not anymore hateful than the actions of the Duke basketball team, or that the character view them as comparative. Anyways, he is indirectly making light of the Holocaust.

Jewish rights centers should get in on this. It is a really, really bad line imo.

I'm guessing 90% of the people that watch Glee don't really follow or care about college basketball... let alone hate Duke. I don't get it.

Glee is miserable, BTW.

Quote Originally Posted by proelitedota View Post
    I found the line to be in really poor taste. It implies that the actions of the Nazis were not anymore hateful than the actions of the Duke basketball team, or that the character view them as comparative. Anyways, he is indirectly making light of the Holocaust.

Jewish rights centers should get in on this. It is a really, really bad line imo.
    Yes, this one's a bigger problem than the usual hatred, which regularly crosses lines, but usually not this one.

More than once in my life I have urged people not to analogize much of anything or anyone to Hitler and Nazis.

That the scriptwriters thought this was humorous in an "edgy" way speaks volumes about their amoral vacuity, or about their assumptions about the absence of moral sensibility in their viewers.

It will be interesting to see whether this story "has legs." It's a great country, but not in every particular.

Quote Originally Posted by bluepenguin View Post
    We see Duke on the TV.
    Actually, it wasn't Duke on TV. Looked like generic ambiguous schools to me. But not important, and he definitely says "I hate Duke like I hate Nazis" and then says "They recruit these kids..." and then it trails off. If you're going to complain about something regarding Duke, recruiting bad kids (or something of that nature) would be the last thing!

In any event, Duke has been seen or mentioned in quite a few shows. Some off the top of my head, which I probably should be embarassed to state as they're all popular among the teenage girl demographic...

1.) Gilmore Girls - guy at bar says Duke will destroy next season with JJ and Shel
    2.) Scrubs - Duke football is shown on TV when JD and Dr. Cox hang out on the couch just after JD's dad died
    3.) Dawson's Creek filmed at Duke
    4.) Sex and the City - Charlotte's brother wears a Duke shirt
    5.) Glee

Ok, that's all I got, but there's probably more...

Edit: Here's an article courtesy of The Chronicle:
    http://dukechronicle.com/node/147925

5.) Privileged - Chronicles two high school twins quest to earn admission to Duke

Filmed on Duke Campus:

Notable projects include "Brainstorm," "The Handmaid's Tale," "The Program" and, most recently, "Dawson's Creek."
    Apparently, didn't allow Animal House to film on campus...booo! Bad decision. And Kiss the Girls was rejected too. And yeah, a Duke shirt was worn for a long time by a lead character in the movie Mamma Mia.
    Last edited by Bluedog; 04-27-2010 at 10:47 PM. Reason: added chron article, more shows/movies

in "fletch", chevy chase is on the phone with his bookie in an early scene, and one of the bets he places is on the duke-carolina game. i'm sorry to say i've forgotten who he picks, though...

Quote Originally Posted by fgb View Post
    in "fletch", chevy chase is on the phone with his bookie in an early scene, and one of the bets he places is on the duke-carolina game. i'm sorry to say i've forgotten who he picks, though...

Can't forget the infamous bet between Bill Cosby and a member of DUMB which made Cos wear a Duke shirt on the Cosby show.

I wouldn't be surprised if someone takes issue with the "Nazis" comment since Duke's MVP this season is a Jew. I suppose the irony is lost on those clever writers of Glee.

bring the hatred on. everyone hates the thing thats better than them

Glee national championships: 0
    Duke national championships: 4

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Corey View Post
    Glee national championships: 0
    Duke national championships: 4
    Forget Maryland - until Carolina gets its life together, Glee is our new rival.
    Last edited by Duvall; 04-27-2010 at 11:09 PM.

Matthew "however you spell his name" McConahey wears a Duke shirt in How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days.

My wife made me watch it with her years ago. I was like, hey this Matthew guy is alright.

Quote Originally Posted by hedevil View Post
    Matthew "however you spell his name" McConahey wears a [...] shirt
    I'm not sure I find your story credible.

How did the producers of that movie convince him to wear a shirt?

ETA: Beat me to it, Duvall.

Quote Originally Posted by hedevil View Post
    Matthew "however you spell his name" McConahey wears a Duke shirt in How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days.

My wife made me watch it with her years ago. I was like, hey this Matthew guy is alright.
    I've seen the movie. This report is correct. Matthew is a Texas Ex, so don't read anything into his wearing the Duke shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    I've seen the movie. This report is correct. Matthew is a Texas Ex, so don't read anything into his wearing the Duke shirt.
    We did see him in Cameron at a Duke/Carolina game, 08 I believe. No idea why he was there.

I'm not sure if he's a Dukie or not, to be honest, I just remember seeing the shirt and thinking maybe he is (maybe not). I'm a texan and love Duke. Anything's possible, right?

The shirt thing is funny.hahaha

I don't think he normally takes roles where he has to wear one.

Quote Originally Posted by dukee94 View Post
    We did see him in Cameron at a Duke/Carolina game, 08 I believe. No idea why he was there.
    Because It's the greatest show on earth!

i seem to remember a nick nolte movie that was filmed at duke back in the mid-80s during my days as a student. does anyone remember that? or am i remembering wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post

1.) Gilmore Girls - guy at bar says Duke will destroy next season with JJ and Shel
    2.) Scrubs - Duke football is shown on TV when JD and Dr. Cox hang out on the couch just after JD's dad died
    3.) Dawson's Creek filmed at Duke
    4.) Sex and the City - Charlotte's brother wears a Duke shirt
    5.) Glee

Ok, that's all I got, but there's probably more...
    Remember JAG? Catherine Bell was supposed to be a Duke Law grad.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com