3 5.88%
  • The Adjustment Bureau

0 0%
  • Prince of Persia / Get Him to Greek / Grown Ups

2 3.92%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Top Summer Movies 2010

Hard to believe...but the time is near for the summer movie release period. A week from Friday things start off with Iron Man 2...and then it's pretty much non-stop until August. Time to make your picks for the top 5 movie grossing films (U.S. Only).

This year, I actually think will be tough. Where do films like Sex and the City 2 rank? How will all the kid 3-D movies play out? Is there another Hangover to crash the party? Will movies like Robin Hood and Prince of Persia cancel each other out? Will Twilight still have legs? Is M.Knight Shamalan officially gone? Does Tom Cruise still have legs?

Make your top 5 selections

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    In order:

1. Toy Story 3
    2. Iron Man 2
    3. Shrek Forever After
    4. Twilight: Eclipse
    5. Knight and Day

Dark Horse: Inception
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

In Order:

1. Iron Man 2
    2. Toy Story 3
    3. Twilight
    4. Robin Hood
    5. Shrek

Sleepers: The A-Team, Inception, The Other Guys and Dinner for Schmucks

Iron Man 2
    Twilight
    Toy Story 3
    Robin Hood
    Despicable Me

Can I just wait until December when the Tron movie comes out?

Quote Originally Posted by Udaman View Post
    Will Twilight still have legs... Does Tom Cruise still have legs?
    More importantly, does Sarah Jessica Parker at age 45?

You need to not list your picks in order. The contest is merely to see if anyone can name all 5 of the top 5. I don't have the time at the moment to look up the past couple summers, but I think we have had multiple people get 4 out of 5 in each of the past 2 years. If memory serves, no one has gotten 5 out of 5.

--Jason "need to do me some research -- I have not been as up on movies as usual this year" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    You need to not list your picks in order. I think we have had multiple people get 4 out of 5 in each of the past 2 years. If memory serves, no one has gotten 5 out of 5.

--Jason "need to do me some research -- I have not been as up on movies as usual this year" Evans
    I think that's right. Each year there has been a movie that came out of nowhere and reached the top 5. IIRC, I've been one of the 5-10 people who got 4 of the 5. I am putting that streak in jeopardy by doing absolutely no research on these movies and going with my first guess.

Can't vote until I see them. In fact, how can anyone vote without seeing them. I'll have to wait until Netflix sends 'em to me. Most of the names don't excite me. This is like the pre-season college hoops poll, if you ask me.

You need to not list your picks in order. The contest is merely to see if anyone can name all 5 of the top 5. I don't have the time at the moment to look up the past couple summers, but I think we have had multiple people get 4 out of 5 in each of the past 2 years. If memory serves, no one has gotten 5 out of 5.

How cool would it be if the 1st time someone picked all 5 they also did it in order?

Went back and looked at the past couple years...

In 2009, the top 5 were - Transformers 2, Potter 6, UP, Hangover, Star Trek.

It was not possible for anyone to get 5 out of 5 last summer. Our list of films to vote upon did not include The Hangover. I suppose you could have voted for "other" and listed The Hangover in your post, but no one did that. I think a fair number of people got 4 out of 5 including A-TexDevil, bjornolf, and Udaman. A list of what everyone voted for can be seen here.

In 2008, the top 5 were - Dark Knight, Iron Man, Indiana Jones 4, Hancock, and Wall*E

Clearly, it would have been possible for someone to pick all 5 of those films. None of them were real darkhorse surprises. Still, none of us picked all 5. Therer were 8 posters out of 66 who voted who got 4 of the 5 right (I was among them).

We shall see what happens this year. I see 3 dead solid locks to make the top 5 this summer.

--Jason "still need to do some research to figure out my other 2 votes" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I did get 4 out of 5 last year...and the year before that.

Also, it should be noted, that yes - 2 years ago our great JE did indeed get 4 out of 5...but his one missing pick...just so happened to be The Dark Knight, which was only the 2nd highest grossing film of all time when all was said and done (later to be moved to the 3rd highest, once Avatar came out).

So he was 4 out of 5...but with an asterix.

I don't know what half of those choices are! Can someone post some quick tidbits on each one? I guess I've got to do some research.
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

Iron Man 2
    Shrek 3
    Twilight
    Toy Story 3
    Robin Hood

Dark horse: Prince of Persia

I don't see as many obvious winners in this group as in past years. I only feel comfortable about Toy Story 3, Iron Man 2, and Twilight.

Quote Originally Posted by darthur View Post
    I don't see as many obvious winners in this group as in past years. I only feel comfortable about Toy Story 3, Iron Man 2, and Twilight.
    Agreed on those 3 -- you always have to bet on the big sequals. They may or may not be good movies, but they put butts in the seats.

I also always pick an action movie that looks like a blockbuster. In this case, I went with Robin Hood. Mostly because I love the Robin Hood story, and even watched that horrible Costner version many times back in the day. Russel Crowe seems like a douche IRL, but that probably helps him play a brigand.

Finally, I pick a family movie (i.e., not a sequal). In 08, I got tripped up by picking the Narnia movie (not realizing at the time how horrible the first installment was) and missing Wall*E. Last year, I went with Up, which worked (but missed on the new Ice Age movie, which was both a sequal and a family movie -- how could I lose? Dang you, Hangover).

Quote Originally Posted by darthur View Post
    I see those as the 3 locks. Picking the other 2 is the challenge right now.

--Jason "I missed Dark Knight... but am tempted to pick Inception, how stupid is that?!?!?!" Evans

I can only pick one movie: TWILIGHT: ECLIPSE.
    Sorry, I've got Edward blinders on...I guess that's what happens when he sparkles - can't see past that to any other movie!

That being said, I know NOTHING about the other movies (seriously, I live under a rock since I had my daughter) so I can't really vote for anything else.

Interesting votes for Inglorious Basterds

Went back and looked at the past couple years...

In 2009, the top 5 were - Transformers 2, Potter 6, UP, Hangover, Star Trek.

It was not possible for anyone to get 5 out of 5 last summer. Our list of films to vote upon did not include The Hangover. I suppose you could have voted for "other" and listed The Hangover in your post, but no one did that. I think a fair number of people got 4 out of 5 including A-TexDevil, bjornolf, and Udaman. A list of what everyone voted for can be seen here.

In 2008, the top 5 were - Dark Knight, Iron Man, Indiana Jones 4, Hancock, and Wall*E

Clearly, it would have been possible for someone to pick all 5 of those films. None of them were real darkhorse surprises. Still, none of us picked all 5. Therer were 8 posters out of 66 who voted who got 4 of the 5 right (I was among them).

We shall see what happens this year. I see 3 dead solid locks to make the top 5 this summer.

--Jason "still need to do some research to figure out my other 2 votes" Evans
    Interesting that nobody voted for Inglorious Basterds to break Top 5 - what I believed was clearly the best movie of the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by cf-62 View Post
    Interesting that nobody voted for Inglorious Basterds to break Top 5 - what I believed was clearly the best movie of the summer.
    That was my favorite too, but I didn't think it would be a top 5 box office contender. Note that this isn't about the best movies -- it's about butts in seats.