Thread: Range hood

Range hood

Just tossing another topic out there for DBR wisdom--

We're moving into a new place where there's a microwave over the range which filters the air and spits it back into the kitchen.

We're looking to have someone replace the microwave with a single function range hood that vents out of the house. Any recommendations on a quiet, efficient range hood? Not something fancy looking, just one of those 30 inch things that fit under some cabinets, but functional.

Thanks from this newbie homeowner.

Are you sure there is a path for the exhaust out of the house? Sometimes there is not and the fan circulates through a filter and back into the kitchen.
    ~rthomas

There is not currently a path out of the kitchen. We're having a contractor put the duct work in, but we need to choose the hood. Chinese cooking puts out a lot of aerosolized oil; we think it's worth it to send that stuff out of the house.

Quote Originally Posted by bluebutton View Post
    There is not currently a path out of the kitchen. We're having a contractor put the duct work in, but we need to choose the hood. Chinese cooking puts out a lot of aerosolized oil; we think it's worth it to send that stuff out of the house.
    Maybe so, but better not let the EPA know what you're doing!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

A good friend owns a 'Vent-A-Hood' Distribution center, I would highly recommend that particular branas being quiet as well as functional. I had one that looked good but only recirculated so basically didn't serve any purpose other than looks. Cut a hole up through the roof and you'll also need a cap for it...basically a little thing that has a door which swings open when the range is going.

Depending on where you are, I would give them a call, they can help you with size and all. You want to measure so the hood and over are close in size. Make sure whoever puts it is has done it before, and there are a few small things that need to be done such as checking the seal on the tube, making sure the hole in the roof is properly patched, etc.

Derek at DJ Distributing 704.332.8301

One last word of advice, got something that has two motors in it and has plenty of horsepowerto get the smells out. Also, the newer models have new LED lighting which can really help with cooking.

Start with this site and give the guy a call, tell him Travis referred you. I've done a lot of shooping around on these because I cook a lot and this is the best bang for your buck.

www.ventahood.com

Good luck, and PM me if you have any more questions. There's nothing like having a quality hood of you cook a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by CLT Devil View Post
    A good friend owns a 'Vent-A-Hood' Distribution center, I would highly recommend that particular branas being quiet as well as functional. I had one that looked good but only recirculated so basically didn't serve any purpose other than looks. Cut a hole up through the roof and you'll also need a cap for it...basically a little thing that has a door which swings open when the range is going.

Depending on where you are, I would give them a call, they can help you with size and all. You want to measure so the hood and over are close in size. Make sure whoever puts it is has done it before, and there are a few small things that need to be done such as checking the seal on the tube, making sure the hole in the roof is properly patched, etc.

Derek at DJ Distributing 704.332.8301

One last word of advice, got something that has two motors in it and has plenty of horsepowerto get the smells out. Also, the newer models have new LED lighting which can really help with cooking.

Start with this site and give the guy a call, tell him Travis referred you. I've done a lot of shooping around on these because I cook a lot and this is the best bang for your buck.

www.ventahood.com

Good luck, and PM me if you have any more questions. There's nothing like having a quality hood of you cook a lot.
    We refinished our kitchen last summer and that's the brand that was recommended to us. We're very happy. Works great. Has 2 speeds, looks great, and has the LED lighting (with 2 brightness levels) which is very useful when using the range. Might be more expensive than some other brands, though.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Unless you really want to get rid off the mcrowave, most are set up so that they can be used in the ventless mode you have now, or vented to the outside.