Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

DeShaun Watson is not a ham sandwich

No indictment.

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    No indictment.
    Rusty has game!

if the panthers sign him, i'm off that fan list...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

I hope we get him so bad. As long as we don’t lose Horne, DJ, Burns, and Chinn.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

I’m guessing the decision not to proceed was much more about the burden of proof than about whether he actually did what he is alleged to have done.

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    I’m guessing the decision not to proceed was much more about the burden of proof than about whether he actually did what he is alleged to have done.
    That's how the justice system works, for better or for worse.

He still has 22 civil lawsuits pending. Apparently, according to the Daily Beast, Watson's attorneys have tried to reach a global settlement that would pay each accuser $100,000. To me, that sounds like a starting point for much bigger settlements.

Any team deciding to take Watson has to be willing to face the inevitable criticism (warranted in my opinion) of hiring a person who may have sexually abused at least 22 women. In addition, any team would have to be willing to sign a guy who still has to give lengthy, contentious depositions that may or may not be available for public review.

I'd pass on this guy. That's probably one more reason why I would never make it as an NFL executive.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    He still has 22 civil lawsuits pending. Apparently, according to the Daily Beast, Watson's attorneys have tried to reach a global settlement that would pay each accuser $100,000. To me, that sounds like a starting point for much bigger settlements.

Any team deciding to take Watson has to be willing to face the inevitable criticism (warranted in my opinion) of hiring a person who may have sexually abused at least 22 women. In addition, any team would have to be willing to sign a guy who still has to give lengthy, contentious depositions that may or may not be available for public review.

I'd pass on this guy. That's probably one more reason why I would never make it as an NFL executive.
    If My Favorite team effective swapped DangeRuss for Watson, I would go on strike.

Either character matters or it doesn't.

Having said that, if he goes anywhere other than the Seahawks, I have no issue with a fanbase feeling differently.

But I want him nowhere near the Seahawks unless we are trying to sack his I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this..

I have been really disappointed with NFL fans this week who saw that the DA decided not to charge DW and have been complaining that my team (Commanders) signed Wentz instead of trading for Watson. At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if some of the accusers are using hyperbole to try and secure a payout but when there are 22, I find it unlikely that he wasn't harassing these women. Having read something posted from one of the accusers I'd be cautious and not bring DW in to my team. And yes, a part of me does feel that's assigning guilt with partial knowledge but I'm going better safe than sorry...especially since our team owner is already in hot water for being a misogynistic POS.

Note, I'm a Clemson Alum and loved DW when he played for Clemson and have rooted for him and enjoyed his play for Houston since rode out of Clemson on a Natty Float. I was really bummed when these accusations came about. At the same time, I'm glad he's not playing for my team.

Note2: what some of the WC fans online don't realize is that the asking price for DW is way beyond what a rebuilding team like the Commanders can pay without all but halting the rebuild (of course we have been a rebuilding team for 20+ years...)

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    If My Favorite team effective swapped DangeRuss for Watson, I would go on strike.

Either character matters or it doesn't.

Having said that, if he goes anywhere other than the Seahawks, I have no issue with a fanbase feeling differently.

But I want him nowhere near the Seahawks unless we are trying to sack his I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this..
    When it comes to the NFL, it doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    When it comes to the NFL, it doesn't.
    Fair play.

To me, it does. Though I doubt the entity that is the NFL will ever give my dollars a second thought.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Fair play.

To me, it does. Though I doubt the entity that is the NFL will ever give my dollars a second thought.
    It's been pointed out before that fans tend to forget issues if victories follow. That was proven with the Steelers and Big Ben.
    (Although I personally haven't cared whether they won or lost since he was given nothing more than a wrist slap, and I was raised a Steelers fan.)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    It's been pointed out before that fans tend to forget issues if victories follow. That was proven with the Steelers and Big Ben.
    (Although I personally haven't cared whether they won or lost since he was given nothing more than a wrist slap, and I was raised a Steelers fan.)
    I'm sure that's true. It won't be for me.

I agree "fans" care about domestic abuse, dog fights, grand theft auto, etc until there's a winning streak.

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    if the panthers sign him, i'm off that fan list...
    Me too. And I hope McCaffrey goes elsewhere and the Panthers (and Hornets for good measure) $uck for decades.

No one is going to sign Watson... he will be traded and some team will likely give up like 3 first round draft picks to get him.

I just hope it isn't my Atlanta Falcons.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by jimmymax View Post
    Me too. And I hope McCaffrey goes elsewhere and the Panthers (and Hornets for good measure) $uck for decades.
    I broke up with the Cowboys because of Jerry Jones. I thought I would become a Panthers fan since I live in North Carolina, but I was unable to. I sort of passively track how they're doing and will watch when I'm home and have nothing to do. But I planned my entire day around the Cowboys through about 1995. I never missed a game. They were 1B to my Blue Devils 1A. Losing that kind of sucked at first, but I really enjoy just being able to watch football and not live and die with every play.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    I broke up with the Cowboys because of Jerry Jones. I thought I would become a Panthers fan since I live in North Carolina, but I was unable to. I sort of passively track how they're doing and will watch when I'm home and have nothing to do. But I planned my entire day around the Cowboys through about 1995. I never missed a game. They were 1B to my Blue Devils 1A. Losing that kind of sucked at first, but I really enjoy just being able to watch football and not live and die with every play.
    I used to follow the Chargers year round. Watched every game, followed prospects they might draft, tuned in to the draft, etc. etc.

Then Spanos took a team that had been a cornerstone of San Diego civic life for over 50 years and marched them up the 5 so that his family could go from rich to more rich (although still a minnow among NFL owners).

I thought maybe I’d catch on with another team, and I do root for the Rams. But I tend to watch the most interesting game of the week, not necessarily either of the LA teams. I’ve got nothing against the Chargers players and have enjoyed watched Herbert burst onto the scene.

But I don’t live and die over the NFL anymore. Frankly, I like it better this way.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    That's how I follow the Premier League. Many fans would not understand how I can pull for Arsenal, Chelsea, and West Ham in one week, and pull against them the next. I can even change sides during a match. Go Tottenham - at times!
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    The race to trade for Houston Texans quarterback Deshaun Watson is down to the Atlanta Falcons and New Orleans Saints after the Carolina Panthers were informed on Thursday they were out of the running, a source told ESPN's Adam Schefter.
    Praise the baby Jebus.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...deshaun-watson
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by jimmymax View Post
    Panthers (pantloads) will suck as long as they wear those hideous uniforms.